Who Uses Lightscribe?

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Was looking for a DVD-RW SATA drive and seen lightscribe drives are only a few more bucks. The concept seems cool but who actually uses it?

Pros/Cons?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Was looking for a DVD-RW SATA drive and seen lightscribe drives are only a few more bucks. The concept seems cool but who actually uses it?

Pros/Cons?

Ive got a Lightscribe SATA burner, a Samsung one. Lightscribe is cool, but it takes too damn long - up to 20 minutes for a regular text label. The discs are also more expensive. However, the fact that you dont have to use an adhesive label - potentially unbalancing the disc - is nice, and theres different colors of disc available now.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Ive got a Lightscribe SATA burner, a Samsung one. Lightscribe is cool, but it takes too damn long - up to 20 minutes for a regular text label. The discs are also more expensive. However, the fact that you dont have to use an adhesive label - potentially unbalancing the disc - is nice, and theres different colors of disc available now.
Cool thanks. Ive noticed the disks are more expensive - best price I've found is 50pk CD-R for $19.99. DVD's are amost 75 cents a disc

I wouldnt use them all the time, just for doing backups for customers for a more professional look and to add my name and number on the disc.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I bought a pair of LG DVD burners recently, one has Lightscribe. I have found CD's or DVD's with adhesive based labels make my laptop sound like a jet engine.

I like Lightscribe, Since I have a pair of drives, it's no biggie if labeling a disc takes 15 minutes or so.

I bought Lightscribe DVD and CD media, and will continue to do so. It works well for my needs.

squigy0

Sweaty Asshole
Oct 13, 2004
Owings Mills, MD
HP 1040d here. Burning's freakin amazingly fast. LightScribe is freakin excrutiatingly slow, even deciding to fart out 10 mins into it producing a partially scribed disk. I just switch to sharpie when that happens.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I have an LG one, never use it though for the Lightscribe, felt markers work just fine for me

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I have a dvd duplicator that also prints on the disk like a light scribe, but that cost over 1,000 dollars.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I bought a pair of LG DVD burners recently, one has Lightscribe. I have found CD's or DVD's with adhesive based labels make my laptop sound like a jet engine.

I like Lightscribe, Since I have a pair of drives, it's no biggie if labeling a disc takes 15 minutes or so.

I bought Lightscribe DVD and CD media, and will continue to do so. It works well for my needs.
Yeah this will be my 2nd drive as well...good point.

Right now I have backups of discs that are all of the same design and even thought I sharpie marker them with their correct label it is still hard to browse thru a book of 100 CD's and find the one I need.

I think I'll make the jump and grab this, the drive is only $32.99 + free shipping from newegg.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
I have had the Lacie dual layer DVD with Lightscribe drive for about 2 years now.

It's shared with my Mac (OSX), Dell (XP) and eMachine (which I have XP on and am in the process of setting up a Linux variant on).

----

Two things

1. The Lacie brand is amazing quality and runs fast as hell and works with every system I have.

2. I love the Lightscribe for 2 things... No adhesive label and good look.

----

I do not use it for everyday DVD burning (b/c of the price of discs), but I do use it for backups and work related (pro looking quality) stuff.

I used to "backup" all my DVD's 1-1 on them and burn a scaned image of the DVD to them via Lighscribe.

that got too time consuming.

but I absolutely love the technology of it.

----

A+ in my book.

but I can see it going the way of the betamax...

there is no "real" purpose for it other than a professional look.

buy a sharpie, for all intents and purposes.

kick ass toy for geeks tho.

mikepop

cdnonafan
Jan 26, 2005
toronto
I have one but havent scribed anything lately.
Off topic but for some reason it will not recognize blank cd's.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
my HP PC came with a lightscribe drive and i have yet to even bother using the label burning part. a sharpie works quite nicely for me.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
It recognizes blank DVD and blank dual layer DVD's but not blank CD's.
Weird.Ive tried different brands also.
very odd.

... ya got me on that one, i have no idea where to start that troubleshooting it

other than google it...

good luck bro. ;)

How is the litescribe quality compared to that of an inkjet or laser?
apples and oranges.

those you mentioned print with ink.

lightscribe is chemically "burned" on the disc.

so i dont know how to answer your question, other than to tell ya to google some images of both and compare for your self.

again... good luck :)