Who were your favorite Metal Bands/Guitarists of the 70's/80's/90's

rachacha

reading's for queers
Feb 20, 2007
Rochester NY area
I'll start it out with an obvious one but I still think they were the greatest.

Bon Scott era AC/DC were unbelievable.

Angus Young rocked

and Malcom was one of the most underappreciated guitarists

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Mike McCready from Pearl Jam. Extremely under rated guitarist.

Dirty330

PRICS #1116
Aug 23, 2007
The Dirty 330
Growing up it was Van Halen up and through the 51/50 album. Yes I like Sammy as well as DLR back then.

I lost interest sometime in the year OU812 released.

Favorite band in recent years is Audioslave. I love Cornell's vocals and Tom Morello(sp?) is one of the most underrated guitar players IMHO. Though Kim Thayall was no slouch either. Cornell plays a mean twanger too.

EDIT: they have been called metal by some but I guess it depends on your definition of the term "METAL". Hard rock bands anyhow.

rachacha

reading's for queers
Feb 20, 2007
Rochester NY area
Growing up it was Van Halen up and through the 51/50 album. Yes I like Sammy as well as DLR back then.

I lost interest sometime in the year OU812 released.

Favorite band in recent years is Audioslave. I love Cornell's vocals and Tom Morello(sp?) is one of the most underrated guitar players IMHO. Though Kim Thayall was no slouch either. Cornell plays a mean twanger too.
I saw Cornell solo at this small theatre in Rochester about 5-6 years ago. I wasn't a fan before I saw him but was afterwards. He fucking rocked and played some guitar on a few tunes. It was a great show.

puckernuts

pooh toucher
Aug 16, 2006
Idaho
70's tonni iommi/ black sabbath
80's alex scolnik/testament sorry just remembered this is more 90's than 80's so randy rhodes/ ozzy
90's dimebag darrell/ pantera

umo

Jan 27, 2005
If your favorite guitarist is named anything other than Jimi Hendix...you fucking suck.

Oct 7, 2007
Cleveland
If your favorite guitarist is named anything other than Jimi Hendix...you fucking suck.
If he was alive today, he would most likely playing Jazz and talking about how hard it is for black musicians. And he is very over rated. Most hendrix fans couldn't give the names of 5 or more songs if asked. But he was very talented.

Probably Stoned

I am not good at this.[edited]
Jul 26, 2005
Humboldt County Ca.
Only an awesome studio musician. When Dave tries to solo and sign he sucks.

Scolnik, Rhodes, Iomi, Adam Jones of TooL

Someone once told me that Elic Liefson of Rush was the most underrated guitar player ever, I disagree, he is given too much credit.

The bass player for the Metal band Man-O-War is great, even though the rock opera shit they put out in their later years was hurtful.

Oct 7, 2007
Cleveland
Only an awesome studio musician. When Dave tries to solo and sign he sucks.

Scolnik, Rhodes, Iomi, Adam Jones of TooL

Someone once told me that Elic Liefson of Rush was the most underrated guitar player ever, I disagree, he is given too much credit.

The bass player for the Metal band Man-O-War is great, even though the rock opera shit they put out in their later years was hurtful.
I'm older. I've enjoyed seeing him live for many years. How many lead guitarists/lead singers have you ever seen that give you 2+ hours of pure energy at every show? "minus the heroin years"
But I have to say that if I was to actually name every guitar player I loved, I would run out of room. Dave was only the first person to jump in my head cause I'm listening to Holy Wars right now. :D

Dirty330

PRICS #1116
Aug 23, 2007
The Dirty 330
No slash, just 5150. It was a police code, I think it meant psychiatric patient or something like that.

Not to be a Picky Pete :action-sm.
You can pick the peanuts out of my shit. :action-sm

No... I am kidding. I saw it after I posted it and said who gives fuck anyways. Really who cares? Allot of DLR fans would think it to be blasphemy to be both a DLR And a Haggar fan.
Since the late 1980s/early 2000s I am a fan of neither as with much of the music I overplayed back then.
I burnt my self out on that music.

umo

Jan 27, 2005
I will give my life savings to anybody who can name any guitarist greater than Jimi Hendrix.

Oct 7, 2007
Cleveland
I will give my life savings to anybody who can name any guitarist greater than Jimi Hendrix.
There are so many great guitarist out there. It's impossible to like just one.

Think about this. any speed metal guitarist can easily play any Hedrix riff, could Jimi play speed metal?

Jimi was great for what he was, but he isn't everything. Hell, most of his hits were remakes of other peoples music. Wasn't all alone the watch tower a Dylan song?

I accept paypay. :)

umo

Jan 27, 2005
If anybody ever told Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Satriani or Eric Johnson they were greater guitarists than Hendrix, they would all have the same response, "BULLSHIT"

"McCartney told me that he, Lennon and Clapton first saw Jimi play at a small club in London back in 1967. We looked at each other and knew we had just witnessed a level of genius we never heard before or likely to ever hear again" _ Sting

Oct 7, 2007
Cleveland
If anybody ever told Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Satriani or Eric Johnson they were greater guitarists than Hendrix, they would all have the same response, "BULLSHIT"

"McCartney told me that he, Lennon and Clapton first saw Jimi play at a small club in London back in 1967. We looked at each other and knew we had just witnessed a level of genius we never heard before or likely to ever hear again" _ Sting
That was 1967. Things have come a long way. What would they say if they saw a young no named band like Metallica blasting away?
Jimi was great then when he had nobody to compare too. But there will always be a place for him now days on any easy listening station.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA

I only take certified check please.