Why are we stopping the MERGER?

D

Deplorable_Acts

Fight the merger

1. If the merger fails and XM goes bankrupt, it will probably be a Ch 11 bankruptcy where it still operates without interruption, but the company comes out with less debt and likely a new owner (a la Air America). So don't worry so much about a bankruptcy.

2. If the merger goes through, it will be because Mel paid off some FCC and DOJ lackies to push it through. Why would he do this? Because he plans on screwing the listener and squeezing more money out of people through his newfound monopoly power. He is now promising to not raise rates for the service you are getting now. What this means is:

a. you will not benefit from the merger because you will not get any new channels without paying MORE (he only promised not to raise rates on the stuff you're getting now).

b. More COMMERCIALS.

c. Eventually Mel goes back to the FCC and says "I know I said I wouldn't raise rates, but we need to in order to stay in business." Followed by the FCC letting him off the hook for this just like they would have for the "XM and Sirius cannot merge" mandate. None of these promises hold any value.

3. With respect to the "more bandwith" argument, this isn't true because they are still stuck transmitting to different receivers (XM can't tune Sirius signals and vice versa). So the Sirius sats will still transmit a Sirius-only signal and XM will do the same = no increase in bandwith. UNLESS the combined company figures out a way to make the Sats transmit on the same frequency (is this possible?), in which case one set of listeners (guess who?) get screwed and have to buy new receivers. This of course is made even worse by the fact that the majority of receiver sales are now coming from auto maker installs, which aren't as easy to change.

There is no such thing as a benevolent monopolist (think Microsoft). Monopolies do not benefit the consumer (don't you wish you could pick your own cable company?). Fight this merger.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Merger = the reason we are in this situation.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Merger = the reason we are in this situation.
That pretty much sums it all up for me.

The reason O&A got fucked? The merger. They were sacrificed as a goodwill measure by XM to a group of politicians who could not give a shit.

1. If the merger fails and XM goes bankrupt, it will probably be a Ch 11 bankruptcy where it still operates without interruption, but the company comes out with less debt and likely a new owner (a la Air America). So don't worry so much about a bankruptcy.

2. If the merger goes through, it will be because Mel paid off some FCC and DOJ lackies to push it through. Why would he do this? Because he plans on screwing the listener and squeezing more money out of people through his newfound monopoly power. He is now promising to not raise rates for the service you are getting now. What this means is:

a. you will not benefit from the merger because you will not get any new channels without paying MORE (he only promised not to raise rates on the stuff you're getting now).

b. More COMMERCIALS.

c. Eventually Mel goes back to the FCC and says "I know I said I wouldn't raise rates, but we need to in order to stay in business." Followed by the FCC letting him off the hook for this just like they would have for the "XM and Sirius cannot merge" mandate. None of these promises hold any value.

3. With respect to the "more bandwith" argument, this isn't true because they are still stuck transmitting to different receivers (XM can't tune Sirius signals and vice versa). So the Sirius sats will still transmit a Sirius-only signal and XM will do the same = no increase in bandwith. UNLESS the combined company figures out a way to make the Sats transmit on the same frequency (is this possible?), in which case one set of listeners (guess who?) get screwed and have to buy new receivers. This of course is made even worse by the fact that the majority of receiver sales are now coming from auto maker installs, which aren't as easy to change.

There is no such thing as a benevolent monopolist (think Microsoft). Monopolies do not benefit the consumer (don't you wish you could pick your own cable company?). Fight this merger.

Anthony?

S

superaids

I'm doing everything I can to stop this merger. Email, fax, call, mail. Rinse... repeat.

Take em down. XM will survive. Let Sirius drown under hoo hoo's contract. Fuck Mel, fuck hoo hoo, fuck Chance, fuck em all.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
I wonder if Sirius going bankrupt would compromise Howies big deal.

That would make me loff and loff

I know how to stop the merger!

Start a blog, write a 100% fictitious story about XM and Sirius, submit it to google news, everyone will believe it. PROFIT!@#$@#$

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
hell hath not know the vengeance of the pest twice scorn, fuck XM

Syntax

personally...i noticed that mel has been pushing the "more programming choices for cheaper" thing A LOT.

what worries me is that they aren't really talking about innovation in their technology

once's theres a monopoly in satellite radio...i'm sure that wont be on their #1 priority list.

FM radio sounds better then the sound quality of Sirius Or XM

Their choice of quantity vs quality killed them. Seriously, even when I had XM (for the boys) I never listened to the music channels cause the sound quality was a complete joke, even a inno running through a Audigy 4 with all the EQ, CMMS, Winamp tweaks set to the best possible configuration, it still sounded like muffled asshole

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
I see a lot of energy being targeted at contacting the FCC about stopping the merger. How does this relate to O&A getting back on the air....if at all?

I think to sum it up FUCK XM

E55er

because mel karmazin is behind it as howies butt boy

BadGuy

The executioner of Mouseschwitz!
I agree with everything except for the above. It is true that the current receivers can only receive one or the other signal, but aren't they supposed to make receivers that can get both signals once the merger goes through? The only problem I see with this from an engineering standpoint is that the Sirius half of the unit would be much heavier than the XM side, causing all the cars on the road to lean and probably flip over.

from XM's shareholder faggotry:
http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/11/115/115922/items/247562/2007ASM.pdf

* Better Programming Choices -
"Best of" content will allow subscribers to get best of both services on their existing radios (Subject to necessary rights being obtained)
* Better Pricing Choices -
Service like that available today will remain at $12.95; "Value" package will be offered for less than $12.95; and "Best of" package will be offered for considerably less than cost of two services today
* Existing radios will continue to be supported
* Acceleration of technological innovation & data services availability

how does one quantify the word "considerably"?

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
-J. Lydon

D

Deplorable_Acts

I agree with everything except for the above. It is true that the current receivers can only receive one or the other signal, but aren't they supposed to make receivers that can get both signals once the merger goes through?
Assume that after the merger they do come out with a "dual-receiver." There would still be no more bandwidth available unless the new doggy company cut some programming from one or both of the old companies' satellites to free the bandwidth. The problem with this? Everyone who still owns their old radios which can only receive one company's signal (and remember, the majority of new subscribers are from car installs, which aren't easy for joe lunchpail to change) would lose whatever programming was cut to free the bandwidth.

Example: Sirius wants to free more bandwidth for hoo hoo. To do this, they cut out the 50's-90's channels from the Sirius satellites, because they duplicate channels on the XM satellites. Now all Sirius subscribers who didn't shell out the money for the new "dual receiver" just lost the 50's-90's channels.

So you can see that the bandwidth couldn't be freed until everyone who had radios from the old companies bought the new "dual receivers." So it's either that all the subs from one company get screwed and have to buy receivers from the other company (assuming that the satellite signal could be changed) or all subs from both companies would be screwed and would be forced to buy the new "dual receivers." Therefore, no bandwidth could be freed without the screwing of a large number of consumers, which was my original point.

P.S. Your mom's box.

Guns4Tots

Can't Figure Out How To Change My Title
I agree with everything except for the above. It is true that the current receivers can only receive one or the other signal, but aren't they supposed to make receivers that can get both signals once the merger goes through? The only problem I see with this from an engineering standpoint is that the Sirius half of the unit would be much heavier than the XM side, causing all the cars on the road to lean and probably flip over.
In 1997 the FCC required that XM and Sirius design interoperable recievers.
2003 - XM and Sirius formed a joint venture called Interoperable Technologies, LLC.
1/2005 - FCC: "Well?"
3/2005: - XM & Sirius: "It's not ready yet"
2005 - Supposedly a design was complete, with a timeline for commercial release in 2006. (Orbitcast)
2007 - Hello?

clownfish

I'm doing everything I can to stop this merger. Email, fax, call, mail. Rinse... repeat.

Take em down. XM will survive. Let Sirius drown under hoo hoo's contract. Fuck Mel, fuck hoo hoo, fuck Chance, fuck em all.
Ope?

S

stuntweasel

I don't see the merger as a benefit to O&A in any way, for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.

XM's very carefully worded "promise" - particularly in light of recent events - gives me no confidence that the boys would not still be dropped the minute their current contract expires (go ahead, read that piece of parsed out, lawyered-up drivel again...carefully this time).

The minute the merger went through, Howie and his lap dog Mel would instantly become THE driving force in all of satellite radio. Howie would instantly double his potential audience and become somewhat relevent again, while sycophant Mel calls the shots. This is the ultimate nightmare for O&A. It is WNEW part 2.

The specter of one or both satellite companies failing has been a real possibility since day 1, so that is nothing new and does not really figure into this equation. From everything I've heard, however, Sirius is the company that is swimming in debt. In fact - and correct me if I'm wrong - one of the major stipulations of the merger is that XM has to pay off Sirius's debts. I'm no financial analyst, but that does not sound to me like XM is the one in the most immediate danger here. If this is a survival move for one company or the other, it would seem more likely that Sirius is the one on the endangered list.

S

shutupstupid

The minute the merger went through, Howie and his lap dog Mel would instantly become THE driving force in all of satellite radio. Howie would instantly double his potential audience and become somewhat relevent again, while sycophant Mel calls the shots.
How much of a driving force can they be? Howie couldn't be relevant again if he had a Delorean and a buddy named Dr. Brown. The potential to double your audience doesn't really say much in this case, how many people are really listening to him now?