Why does everyone hate Green Lantern so much?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I just watched it again...and I don't get it.

It's a solid story. Reynolds fit the character. The effects were great. The enemy was solid.

Okay, yeah. Blake is penis hurting hot, but can't act for shit...Until about halfway into the movie when her acting seems to get a great deal better...Not sure why.

But, overall, this is not only a good movie but seemingly a fairly faithful adaptation of the comic.

So I ask this: If you had never seen Ryan Reynolds before...would your opinion of the movie be the same?

And, overall, why the hate?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

It's a solid story. Reynolds fit the character. The effects were great. The enemy was solid.

Okay, yeah. Blake is penis hurting hot, but can't act for shit...Until about halfway into the movie when her acting seems to get a great deal better...Not sure why.

But, overall, this is not only a good movie but seemingly a fairly faithful adaptation of the comic.

So I ask this: If you had never seen Ryan Reynolds before...would your opinion of the movie be the same?

He has the power to do anything and he uses it to make a giant fist. Twice.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
As I said when I HitW Green Lantern, Neon's criticism is symbolic of the problems of the entire film. They had all the pieces there. With a great cast and a $200 million budget, they could do anything, and couldnt put it together. I would say the main problem was the villain, or lack thereof. When I have time I'll post my recap, or if you're bored, go to the main HitW thread. I think GL starts on the 2nd or 3rd page.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Have you ever seen a Green Lantern fight where he didn't? It's almost a WWE style signature move.

I mean, enough with Wonder Woman using her bracelets to parry bullets already.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Have you ever seen a Green Lantern fight where he didn't? It's almost a WWE style signature move.

I don't mean to speak for Neon, but I think the issue wasn't the fist as much as the lack of very much else that would be considered to be creative. He also used it to make a big gun and a sword.

In my opinion, it would have even been fine if they made Hal's lack of creativity and imagination a plot device. Like, he failed in his first mission because the bad guy got away by literally slipping through Big Green Fists fingers. Then when he fights Galactus at the end, he comes up with a much more creative solution.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

I don't mean to speak for Neon, but I think the issue wasn't the fist as much as the lack of very much else that would be considered to be creative. He also used it to make a big gun and a sword.

In my opinion, it would have even been fine if they made Hal's lack of creativity and imagination a plot device. Like, he failed in his first mission because the bad guy got away by literally slipping through Big Green Fists fingers. Then when he fights Galactus at the end, he comes up with a much more creative solution.
That's kinda what I meant. It wasn't so much the things he did do but more the things he didn't. As someone who knew nothing about Green Lantern beforehand, I think it did a poor job of introducing new fans to the character. And I am also offended by the concept of model slash combat pilot. I don't care if that's canon. I still find it offensive.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

But you are missing the point. The flaw you are attributing to him is "he stayed too much in character."

Hal is known for creating three things: Toys (Hot Wheels), really complex machines (giant guns, engines)...And hands. Doing what you guys are saying would have been a different lantern.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It felt like they cut out 20 minutes between act 2 and act 3. He goes from "I'm not going to be Green Lantern," and then he's sitting on a car hood and he's like "okay, I'm Green Lantern now." They didn't build up the antagonism between him and Saarsgaard enough for me to see them as enemies. And the Sinestro thing at the end.

Also, Hal's father's death reminded me of something out of Airplane. The horrible Guardians sends a rookie to fight their most dangerous enemy alone. Blake Lively. The pointless Hal's nephew scene at the beginning. The lack of imagination and creativity. (The best part was the beginning with Abin Sur.)

And Hal's doubts. This is a guy whose primary trait is cockiness so instead of taking that to the extremes and making him so ridiculously cocksure of himself now that he knows he's the coolest guy on Earth, they retreat back to the safe, repetitive, predictable, "I don't deserve this honor!"

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Again, it seems you are blaming the movie for the shakey mythos it was built on.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
Were you under the influence of mind bending drugs at the time?

It's a solid story. Reynolds fit the character.
Never read the comic cant comment

The effects were great. The enemy was solid.
No it wasnt, they built it up to be a major problem but he chucked it into the sun with great ease, inbetween threatening to quit

Yes

No idea, but with Reynolds saying he isnt interested in JLA people seem happy and rather than have someone else play Hal they want John Stewart

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Again, it seems you are blaming the movie for the shakey mythos it was built on.
How? I said the conflict between the hero and the villain was underdeveloped. Even if that's true in a comic book, you can fix that in a movie. Was Hal supercocky and the ring turned him into meek worm in the comics? Were the Guardians pieces of shit in the comic? Did Sinestro put on the evil ring for absolutely no reason after saying to Hal "I am glad to be part of the same team as you." Was Blake Lively in the comic book? Was Hal's father's death so unintentionally hilarious in the comic book?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys

Were you hoping for this:

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Let me move this edit down because I think it addresses this point. It's not the mythos that's the problem, it's that they failed to properly translate the mythos into a compelling story. As Liddy said, none of the conflicts or character motivations made any sense. That's not a mythos problem, that's a movie problem.

As for the movie itself - I know you hate comic books, but here are Jim Shooter's guidelines for what makes a good comic book story. They also work for making a good comic book movie:

• The characters must be introduced.
  • Their situation must be established.
  • The conflict must be introduced.
  • Suspense must be built.
  • A climax must be reached.
  • A resolution must be achieved.
2-5 are where the movie failed. They failed to fully establish the situation, and failed to introduce conflict in a way that would build suspense, which of course meant the climax fell flat.
Let me break down all the conflicts in the movie:
Aben Sur vs Galactus
Hal vs Himself and the Ghost of his Dad and his nephew and Blake Lively
Sinestro vs the Guardians
Hector vs his Father
Hal vs Himself again.
No suspense is built other than to warn that Galactus is heading towards Earth. None of the conflicts do much to help build that suspense. In fact, when the climax arrives, Hal is fighting Hector and nobody, not even the two of them, is even really sure why. Then he defeats Galactus in a manner that I don't even remember. Honestly, I don't know how he beat him. That was the central conflict of the movie, (I think), and I can't for the life of me remember how it was resolved.
Here's a better way to take the same movie and clean it up:
1) Sinestro and Aben Sur should be together when Parallax attacks. Aben Sur should take his mortal wound making sure Sinestro gets away safely. This establishes a motive for Sinestro's mistrust and animosity towards Hal - He doesn't feel like he is honoring his friend's legacy
2) Eliminate the character of Hector.
3) Give Hal a character arc that means something. The stuff with his Dad is fine, but they never go anywhere with it. There's a thematic that's missing, regarding birth, death, and rebirth, where you can tie the deaths of the two men who made him what he is together. The elements are there, they just missed it.
4) When Hal battles Parallax, Sinestro should be by his side, railing on him for his lack of creativity, heart, and heroism. But at the height of the battle, Hal saves Sinestro's life, just like Aben Sur did, then goes on to defeat Parrallax and save the day. Instead of being grateful, Sinestro is resentful that this young punk had to save his ass, and resentful of the fact that this guy who he deems unworthy is now the most celebrated Green Lantern. THIS is proper motivation for him to go grab that yellow ring that sets up the sequel.

I just realized BIV is taking on the combined might of the triumvirate by himself.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
No it wasnt, they built it up to be a major problem but he chucked it into the sun with great ease, inbetween threatening to ...I accidentally erased some shit here.
Why does no one get this...that was the whole point.
Our humanity, our simplicity, is what let Hal beat him.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Why does no one get this...that was the whole point.
Our humanity, our simplicity, is what let Hal beat him.
No. It was two green jets and the physics of gravity. Remember, someone, I think the big guy, said to him about the sun pulling in bigger objects? So he used that at the end. His humanity had nothing to do with it? It's not like the other Green Lantern Corps were emotionless robots who cared for no ones. They were space cops who seemingly cared for the people in their sector. They saw being a Green Lantern as a sacred duty. Hal wasn't just some rebel hotshot who taught people how to care.

Dec 12, 2007
How? I said the conflict between the hero and the villain was underdeveloped. Even if that's true in a comic book, you can fix that in a movie. Was Hal supercocky and the ring turned him into meek worm in the comics? Were the Guardians pieces of shit in the comic? Did Sinestro put on the evil ring for absolutely no reason after saying to Hal "I am glad to be part of the same team as you." Was Blake Lively in the comic book? Was Hal's father's death so unintentionally hilarious in the comic book?
Liddy, you seem to be developing a greater respect for the comics, and it brings me great joy. I can't cite specific examples, but you've surprised me more and more when I read your posts in comic movie threads over the last year or so.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Liddy, you seem to be developing a greater respect for the comics, and it brings me great joy. I can't cite specific examples, but you've surprised me more and more when I read your posts in comic movie threads over the last year or so.
Now tell me some good Deadpool compilations to get. I want to get deeper into that character.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
2) Eliminate the character of Hector.
I think the Hector character would have been fine if the movie had made him and Hal's journey more parallel. And they kind of did that, but they dropped the ball on it thematically. Jock vs. nerd, courage vs. cowardice, creativity v. science, naturally being the better man v. artificially becoming one, how two differently constituted people react to obtaining ultimate power. Admittedly, I don't know how important Hector is to Green Lantern mythos, but in the movie they could have elevated his importance for sake of the film.

Instead we get
"I kidnap Blake Lively! Now give me ring!"
"Fine." *throws him the ring*
"Hah! I now use ring to destroy world!"
"My ring doesn't like you!"
"Curses! Foiled!"

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I said it before and I'll say it again: Hal, while great, is outdated. Movie goers would have reacted better to Kyle as lead.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
BIV comment? Particularly on the humanity/simplicity thing.

Mobile Biv you can comment as well.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I didn't think the GL movie was all that bad. Those who pointed out the fists & matchbox tracks, that was Hal Jordan's childish streak to a tee; I found it to be in character based on his appearance in the comic books.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
No. It was two green jets and the physics of gravity. Remember, someone, I think the big guy, said to him about the sun pulling in bigger objects? So he used that at the end. His humanity had nothing to do with it? It's not like the other Green Lantern Corps were emotionless robots who cared for no ones. They were space cops who seemingly cared for the people in their sector. They saw being a Green Lantern as a sacred duty. Hal wasn't just some rebel hotshot who taught people how to care.
The point was, what is always the point with the Hal Green Lantern, simple = good. The sun trick worked because no one would try something so basic. Our youth, our basic lack of understanding of the universe is what always made Hal strong.

And, you really can't be annoyed by the jets? What would a pilot Will to represent acceleration? Hmm, I wonder.

I don't think it's possible for you guys to like a GL Movie.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I think the Hector character would have been fine if the movie had made him and Hal's journey more parallel. And they kind of did that, but they dropped the ball on it thematically. Jock vs. nerd, courage vs. cowardice, creativity v. science, naturally being the better man v. artificially becoming one, how two differently constituted people react to obtaining ultimate power. Admittedly, I don't know how important Hector is to Green Lantern mythos, but in the movie they could have elevated his importance for sake of the film.

Instead we get
"I kidnap Blake Lively! Now give me ring!"
"Fine." *throws him the ring*
"Hah! I now use ring to destroy world!"
"My ring doesn't like you!"
"Curses! Foiled!"
Hector is not the main villain. The whole point of his character was to be the catalyst that brings Mr. Smoke Arms to Earth.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I said it before and I'll say it again: Hal, while great, is outdated. Movie goers would have reacted better to Kyle as lead.
I think that would have taken all the fun out of it.