Why I now HATE Windows

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
So I have a few older PC's lying around and decided to get a couple of them up and running.

These are both older P3 boxes with 256mb of RAM.

First I install Linspire on one. It was up and running in 15 minutes. I really have no need for a Linux box but someone gave me a disc with Linspire and i was curious. It's pretty cool I guess if you like Linux.

Next I installed WinXP Home from a disc I downloaded and burned on my Mac. The disc has XP Home, Pro and Media Center editions on it. I won't go into specifics but none of the keys I had worked with SP2 version of XP Home.

So I look around for a way around the stupid Microsoft validation shit, and promptly ended up with at least 3 viruses. Go windows! :arrrh:

And of course my OSX Tiger install took about 30 minutes and all I had to do was swap cds when prompted. No keys to enter, no websites to validate.

If I didn't wanna play Everquest from time to time, I'd throw this fucking Windows box out my bedroom window. I've NEVER had a problem free Windows install.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
So I have a few older PC's lying around and decided to get a couple of them up and running.

Next I installed WinXP Home from a disc I downloaded and burned on my Mac. The disc has XP Home, Pro and Media Center editions on it. I won't go into specifics but none of the keys I had worked with SP2 version of XP Home.
THAT's Because you DOWNLOADED a version of windows. Retail copies tend to be virus free...FYI...
If you want it free you have to put up with viruses and spyware. Your best bet is to get a retail cd from someone and use the key you have.

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
so you download an illegal copy of windows from the internet that someone infected with viruses and you blame microsoft....interesting logic.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
I really don't understand how people have so many problems with Windows. I've only had one virus infection in my 15 years of PC use. Also, I've never had a problem with the installation of Windows (done it twice on this 5+ year old machine alone). I do visit those sites as well, so it's not like I live a risk free life.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
THAT's Because you DOWNLOADED a version of windows. Retail copies tend to be virus free...FYI...
If you want it free you have to put up with viruses and spyware. Your best bet is to get a retail cd from someone and use the key you have.
so you download an illegal copy of windows from the internet that someone infected with viruses and you blame microsoft....interesting logic.
I really don't understand how people have so many problems with Windows. I've only had one virus infection in my 15 years of PC use. Also, I've never had a problem with the installation of Windows (done it twice on this 5+ year old machine alone). I do visit those sites as well, so it's not like I live a risk free life.
Multi-quoted for fucking truth. Sounds like it might be a PEBKAC issue to me. :action-sm

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I can't understand what he's mad at either.

You're messing with illegal copies of stuff. I've downloaded plenty of programs and files that didn't work or weren't what they said they were. That's how I got into beastial...

Nevermind.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
So I bought this Handicam from some guy on the street for $20 and when I got it home and opened it up, there was a brick inside!

FUCK YOU SONY!!!

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Yep, just like the others, I've used windows for about 12 years now, and the only real problem I had was a shortsighted mistake I made on my own, and it was easily fixable. And I am a regular on many, many sites that could DESTROY my computer.

I still bought a Macbook Pro back in October, though. And it rules.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
I was doing 120 down the highway the other day and the cops suspended my license for driving recklessly.

FUCK YOU HONDA!!!

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
:arrrh::arrrh::arrrh:

So lets just assume that I was just reinstalling the original XP that CAME with the computer I was putting it on. I would have still had to call the fucking savage in India and answer his 20 questions about why I need to reinstall Windows. We can assume this, because that has also happened to me.

It has nothing to do with the software being legal or not, it has to do with Microsoft going a bit overboard with the validation process.

And I'm not one of those Microsoft bashers. Except for having to talk to some raghead every time I have to reinstall XP, I have never had a problem with it. Not even a blue screen.

Be careful with those stones guys, I'd hate for that nice glass house to get a crack in it. Because I'm sure no one here has ever used a torrent program or downloaded music for free.... :action-sm

blazin

Dec 9, 2004

So lets just assume that I was just reinstalling the original XP that CAME with the computer I was putting it on. I would have still had to call the fucking savage in India and answer his 20 questions about why I need to reinstall Windows. We can assume this, because that has also happened to me.

It has nothing to do with the software being legal or not, it has to do with Microsoft going a bit overboard with the validation process.

And I'm not one of those Microsoft bashers. Except for having to talk to some raghead every time I have to reinstall XP, I have never had a problem with it. Not even a blue screen.

Be careful with those stones guys, I'd hate for that nice glass house to get a crack in it. Because I'm sure no one here has ever used a torrent program or downloaded music for free.... :action-sm

First off, you DO NOT have to call Indians when you reinstall Windows. I've done 100's of reinstallations (I do this for a living) and have called Microsoft maybe 3 times. Those times were only because the customer didnt have their restore disk and I had to use one I had of either the wrong manufacturer or version.

As long as youre using the disk that came with your computer. All OEM's like Dell, Gateway, HP you dont even need to put in the product key. As long as its the right manufacturer disk for the computer, its doesnt even ask to activate. The brand is 'tattooed' on to the hardware so it knows you're using a Dell Disc on a Dell Computer. One Dell disk will work on ANY dell, same with the others. If you're using a Dell disk on a Gateway YOU WILL be prompted for windows activation.

If you've made MAJOR hardware changes, like replaced the motherboard, you will be prompted for activation.

Keep in mind, there are several versions of Windows XP that are tied to the product number. An OEM key will not work on a Retail Copy. A retail key will not work on a Corporate version. Well they can, but it involves editing a PID= value in on of the files in the /i386 folder, then reburning the CD.

You probably downloaded a Corporate Version that uses a VLK (Volume License Key). Thats why your Product Key's did not work.

Lastly, there are about 80 'critical updates' that need to be patched post-SP2. Going to those crack sites to beat activation is the worst thing you can do if your computer isnt fully updated to current. Since you couldnt pass Genuine Validation and get those updates, you are at MAJOR risk on those types of sites.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I would have still had to call the fucking savage in India and answer his 20 questions about why I need to reinstall Windows. We can assume this, because that has also happened to me.
Ive done it many times, with XP and Vista both. Every time, my conversation has been (almost word for word) as follows:
RH: "You are installing Windows today?"
Me: "Yes."
RH: "How many computers do you currently have this copy of windows installed on?"
Me: "Just this one, Im needing to reinstall after an upgrade/hard drive failure/cause I fucking can."
RH: "Ok, sir, here is your validation code, and thank you for calling microsoft."

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
Here's an idea, write that number down and keep it with the disc.

That's what I.....er, I mean a good pal of mine did when he got a copy of XP Media Edition.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

Sorry Don, afraid I'm going to have to pile on too. I had to recently re-install my TabletPC operating system and when I went to activate online, same thing happened. I called the phone number, punched a bunch of buttons, and never spoke with a savage once. I've never even spoken with a savage on any Microsoft call, but I do when calling HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.

First off, Rule #1 when when downloading off torrents or Limewire or wherever:
NEVER download and use Operating Systems, AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, or any computer that "opens" your system up like file sharing programs or remote access software. Those programs are almost always used to plant viruses and zombies because their programs enable all sorts of bad things on your computer, exactly like their legitimate counterparts.

Second, I hate Microsoft for different reasons (dumbing down their operating system, inability to intelligently override things I don't want on my computer, and their penchant for writing all their programs into resource-hogging bloatware), but you can't fault them for wanting to protect their operating systems and other software from being pirated and freely distributed. They've lost billions of dollars to the piracy of Windows and Office and other software. Sure, they're a multi-billion dollar corporation so it's easy to justify stealing from them, but it's like saying it's OK to walk into a Starbucks and steal a muffin.

I will agree that their validation process is somewhat tedious but I spend a hell of a lot more time having to work my way around most other hardware and software in general.

One other thing, I hope you didn't have the computer you were installing this version of Windows connected to your network with other Windows PC's (like via WiFi). Chances are, you might have spread any virus across your network since a new Windows XP is so unpatched from security holes because you obviously didn't get to go to Windows Update and update.

You should download Bart's PE and use it to rid that hard drive from possible rootkits, etc.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Also, once you get your system updated and installed your necessary patches, you should "Slipstream" your system to create a bootable WinXP disk that will be useful for a restore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(computing)

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
If you're going to pirate windows you need to have up-to-date slipstreamed copies with validation work arounds..

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Hardly any 'viruses' you get from those shady websites will infect other computers. They arent real viruses because they dont spread. Hence the new terminology - spyware, malware, etc.

After you're installed, activated, and got all your programs installed and configured, use Norton Ghost to create an image of your hard drive and burn it to DVD. That way if you ever have to reinstall you use that image file and you're back up and running, completely activated, all updates and all your appz preloaded and ready to go.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Yeah virus was the wrong word to use. I knew as soon as a opened the file and it opened a dos window I was fucked.

Oh well, shit happens.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I have to contribute this just because I made it.

I just installed Ubuntu yesterday for the first time on a side note and I must say I'm hooked. So far it is no substitute for Windows or Mac but its fun and it works.