Why is "stopping" in a moving violation?

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
So I got a ticket for "Unlawful Stopping on a Highway" yesterday morning in Virginia. I was BARELY parked beyond the entrance of a rest area. Enough that half of my trailer wasn't within the rest area. The trooper had already nailed 3 or 4 other rigs for the same offense. So, while he's writing the ticket he has me in his car out of the cold (a kind gesture on his part) and I ask if this is considered a moving violation. He states in Virginia it is but it may not be by my state. It seems odd to me that a moving violation would have "stopping" in it. I was parked after all.

Anyone know why this is considered a moving violation???

I can only imagine what this ticket is going to wind up costing me. Luckily I wasn't in the Safety Corridor where fines start at $200. Nonetheless, I'll pay the ticket but I still think it shouldn't be considered a moving violation, b/c that means points on my license and my company won't be too happy about that.

Lesson learned.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
good question.

im sure someone knows the answer (not me, but someone here will)

its the same logic as parking in a handicapable spot being a moving violation

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I have no idea... but I can speculate...

I guess technically you were parked on a highway. Parking on a highway is dangerous and it doesn't get a parking ticket. Imagine an asshole parking center lane, causing an accident, and then only having to pay 150 because he was parked in a lane. It is probably a moving violation to discourage you from doing it because not only is it a fine, it is points too.

It's idiotic that you got a tix. Va probably knows that they can get some more money out of people but passing that law.

I don't understand that law. If you are on the shoulder then you should be allowed to stay there w/o a problem.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
This wouldn't have been in Virginia would it? Thats the only state I have seen get people for that shit. Hell, go out the PA turnpike, people will just park on the side of the highway wherever they feel like and no one does shit.

Of course it costs $120 for a truck to cross PA now, so I guess they get their money that way.

PS. I stink, of course it was in Virginia. I need to work on my reading comprehension skills.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
....why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway...tee hee...tickets suck and I am sure you were very careful when you parked and everything...

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Virginia is also infamous for the state troopers watching the rest areas and enforcing the 2 hour rest parking limit, even though federal law requires truck drivers to take a 10 hour rest break after driving their 11 hours. If you want to take a rest break in VA you have to find a truck stop or press your luck at the rest area and hope some jackbooted thug doesn't pound on your door and throw you out.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I'm not a truck driver. But, why wouldn't you just park in the rest area? It's right fucking there! You even turned off the highway to go to it... when you go back onto the highway, you're going to have to go through it. So why not.... park in it? Am I making too much sense?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm not a truck driver. But, why wouldn't you just park in the rest area? It's right fucking there! You even turned off the highway to go to it... when you go back onto the highway, you're going to have to go through it. So why not.... park in it? Am I making too much sense?
Virginia rest areas tend to have about 5 or 10 spaces to park. Virginia has two of the most heavily traveled highways on the East Coast (I95 and I81). You do the math. There most likely was no parking in the rest area.

pike

You will be molested
Aug 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
At least in Ohio, there are only two types of violations an officer can cite an operator for: "moving" and "equipment". Parking citations (fire lane, handicap, etc) are only issued to unoccupied vehicles and are issued to the vehicle's registered owner, not the operator.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Virginia rest areas tend to have about 5 or 10 spaces to park. Virginia has two of the most heavily traveled highways on the East Coast (I95 and I81). You do the math. There most likely was no parking in the rest area.
As Don stated there were at minimum, 30 trucks trying to cram into about 10 parking spaces. And yes, this occurred on I-81 south of New Market. I was forewarned about Virginia, but damn, I didn't realize it was this fucking bad there. I don't give a shit if I'm over my 11 hours, I'm not fucking stopping in Virginia again. Another thing I've noticed, they're scalehouses never close. They will nail commercial drivers for anything there. Oh well...fuck 'em!

cal5000

Feb 14, 2007
Virginia is strapped for cash.

This is the way things go sometimes.