Why is XM doing "This is a TEST"

BraffStaff

Sep 28, 2006
Anyone else loose some of the show today so XM could run "This is a test of the emergency broadcast system". What the FUCK is up with that! I didn't even think FM did that anymore. Why does XM do this and WHY DO THEY HAVE TEST IT DURING THE LIVE SHOW?? I DONT UNDERSTAND!!! Does the little dog do this also? Can't they sit aside some time during a break?

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I think it is an FCC regulation that all broadcast medium are part of the EBS and are required to do a monthly test.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's the law. Tests come down at a specific time and you have a small window to play them in. XM doesn't have a choice.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
Its really goddamn annoying. They always do it sometime during the O and A, Ron and Fez replay betweem 7:30pm and 3am. I don't really get it either. They're not governed by the FCC so I don't see why they have to do it. Its always during a good part too. :arrrh:

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
They are governed by the FCC in the fact that the FCC granted them the bandwidth to broadcast.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
There was a test today on my Verizon FIOS TV system as well. I think today must just be test day.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
It's the law. Tests come down at a specific time and you have a small window to play them in. XM doesn't have a choice.
I don't know about that. Have you ever heard it interrupt a commercial? I bet they don't fuck with the money. I've only heard it interrupt the live O&A and R&F shows.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Its really goddamn annoying. They always do it sometime during the O and A, Ron and Fez replay betweem 7:30pm and 3am. I don't really get it either. They're not governed by the FCC so I don't see why they have to do it. Its always during a good part too. :arrrh:
XM and Sirius would not be able to broadcast legally without being governed by the FCC. XM and Sirius cannot acquire bandwidth without FCC approval. Last year, the FCC ordered all broadcasting mediums to participate in the EAS, satellite radio and satellite television included. The only difference is, XM and Sirius do not have to carry regional or local emergency alerts...only national alerts...mainly because they cannot send alerts only to the people affected. That's what 247 Emergency Alert channel and the regional traffic channels are for.

BraffStaff

Sep 28, 2006
Does cable have to follow FCC? I never seen HBO do it! I only really see it on non-cable (network) stations on TV. Even then they will stop if it a commercail airs. When do they ever use this thing and not just TEST IT? I never heard it used.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Does cable have to follow FCC? I never seen HBO do it! I only really see it on non-cable (network) stations on TV. Even then they will stop if it a commercail airs. When do they ever use this thing and not just TEST IT? I never heard it used.
I have seen Time Warner and Comcast both do it. When they do, it effects every channel.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
They are governed by the FCC in the fact that the FCC granted them the bandwidth to broadcast.

XM and Sirius would not be able to broadcast legally without being governed by the FCC. XM and Sirius cannot acquire bandwidth without FCC approval. Last year, the FCC ordered all broadcasting mediums to participate in the EAS, satellite radio and satellite television included. The only difference is, XM and Sirius do not have to carry regional or local emergency alerts...only national alerts...mainly because they cannot send alerts only to the people affected. That's what 247 Emergency Alert channel and the regional traffic channels are for.
I stand corrrrrrrrected.

I still find it extremely annoying though. I bugs me when they do it on tv too. Do they not get that no one ever listens to those things anyway. They hear it. (Its always a test since they do them once a freakin day it seems like.) And turn it off or mute it.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I remember reading somewhere that there are monthly and weekly tests that must be done. During odd months, they must be done between 8am-5pm...and during even months they must be done between 8pm-5am. I think the broadcaster can transmit the test anytime during those hours...which is the reason why you won't hear a commercial interrupted with an EAS test. That could happen on XM or Sirius though since they test on multiple channels at once and there's no telling what channel is in commercial and what is not. I do see some benefits of having a national EAS system...I just don't think, nor hope, we will ever hear an actual national emergency alert...since it would probably mean we're being invaded or a nuke was dropped on us.

S

stuand

They will use it when the nukes fly. Which will probably be sooner rather than later now that Russia is going back to their old ways.

:(

BraffStaff

Sep 28, 2006
Did they do a real one in NY or anyplace during 9/11

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
Really back in the days, I have heard it used once, during a Tornado.

But now I just see the text down the screen while the show goes on and when there's space between the show and commercial the weather guy gives a quick alert on the activity.

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
its been going on for quite some time now. not a new thing. its not a bad thing that they do it IMO. cause i dont care what im listening to on XM, i wanna know that i have 35 seconds to find a gas mask the next time these fucking savages attack this country.