Wifi deadbolt lock

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
One more techie home improvement question.

Any recommendations on a wifi/bluetooth/smartphone controlled front door deadbolt? Reviews seem to favor either the Schlage or the Yale Nest lock. I like the Yale lock because it's a smaller profile, but the reviews seem mixed on it. Any others I should look at?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I do...just want some added functionality.
Locks keep honest people honest, and are an inconvenience when they break. I’ve had mixed success with electric locks but I’ve never used a wireless one.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
August Smart Lock.

I own one. I love it. Uses Bluetooth. Add a Connect to control it from anywhere. Location aware so it unlocks when you get home.

Also can work with your existing lock so you don’t have to change keys.

https://august.com/products/august-smart-lock-pro-connect
Interesting, but one flaw....I was planning on re-keying the locks at the same time and I figured I could just replace this one with a digital lock. If I get this one, I will still need to re-key this deadbolt.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I have the Yale Nest on my front door. Very happy with it so far. I like it so much I am thinking about getting another one for the door between the house and the garage because the deadbolt on that door sucks and needs to be replaced.

I've had a Kwikset z-wave for several years. It has it's own keypad and key so you're still good if any thing were to go offline. Can be used without any hub if you just want to use to unlock with keypad.

Whichever one you get make sure you've got a good fit and alignment on your bolt so it doesn't get bogged down and just eat batteries. Eating batteries can also be a problem if you've got poor range in whatever wireless band it talks in. Like your wifi router being on the other side of house. Zwave fixes this by other nearby devices like switches and outlets become repeaters for the battery devices like door locks.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
The Nest is very picky about the operation of the bolt. It took me a while to "make it happy" by eliminating any and all drag/resistance/friction involving the bolt and the door jam.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
if you live anywhere that gets cold, 5 degrees or below, forget it. We had an electric lock and anytime it got cold the battery would die and we were fucked. I just replaced it with a manual push pad lock.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
if you live anywhere that gets cold, 5 degrees or below, forget it. We had an electric lock and anytime it got cold the battery would die and we were fucked. I just replaced it with a manual push pad lock.
That’s why August is a good option. If it’s too cold to operate, you can still use it the old fashioned way.

What lock system? The batteries weren't inside the door?

Bobobie

This would make a lot of sense ... if you didn't carry around a ring of keys anyway.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
What lock system? The batteries weren't inside the door?
This one. Replaced it once because I thought it was faulty, Schlage sent me a brand new one for free. Same issue. The 9v battery is inside but the electronics are all outside. It worked great in the spring-fall. I loved having multiple codes for people but as soon as cold weather hit I got locked out all the time. The manual push button is not as secure but with our alarm I am not worried.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I had that Schlage lock and it died after three years. Battery would be dead after two days. I'm in Florida, so it's not the cold but rather the humidity.

The Nest is sealed pretty much completely in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ysr50

Donator
I don't understand why anyone would want one of these things. What's the attraction, how does it make your life more convenient? Honest question, I don't get it.

Bobobie

I don't understand why anyone would want one of these things. What's the attraction, how does it make your life more convenient? Honest question, I don't get it.
The Gee whiz factor. Like voice activated shit. You can type, navigate menus, and turn on a switch faster than using voice recognition, because speaking takes more time than actually doing something. You can demonstrate this, but people will either refuse to believe it or don't care because they think it's cool.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
If I have both of my hands full of stuff when coming home, the lock automatically unlocks when I get near so I don’t have to fumble for keys.

If I forget to lock my door, it automatically locks.

If I need someone to watch my dog, I can grant them access to my door without leaving them a key. Their electronic key can expire if I let it.

If I’m in Caifornia, and I need a friend to come over to check on my goldfish or something, I can unlock the door remotely. If they forget to lock the door, it either locks after a set amount of time, or I can do it remotely.

If I assign keys, I can name them so that if I had a kid come home, I can get a notification that my daughter came home at such and such a time.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
The Gee whiz factor. Like voice activated shit. You can type, navigate menus, and turn on a switch faster than using voice recognition, because speaking takes more time than actually doing something. You can demonstrate this, but people will either refuse to believe it or don't care because they think it's cool.
Well, if you want to control multiple lights, or you don’t want to switch on a lamp by the knob near the light bulb, or if your lights are difficult to get to, voice commands are faster than switching. One light, sure.

Also, programming lights to come on at certain times or when you come home is nice.

ysr50

Donator
If I have both of my hands full of stuff when coming home, the lock automatically unlocks when I get near so I don’t have to fumble for keys.

If I forget to lock my door, it automatically locks.

If I need someone to watch my dog, I can grant them access to my door without leaving them a key. Their electronic key can expire if I let it.

If I’m in Caifornia, and I need a friend to come over to check on my goldfish or something, I can unlock the door remotely. If they forget to lock the door, it either locks after a set amount of time, or I can do it remotely.

If I assign keys, I can name them so that if I had a kid come home, I can get a notification that my daughter came home at such and such a time.
That's a bunch of justifying why you think it's better than a simple key. You don't own a dog. If you haven't figured out how to plan the upload of massive amounts of lasagna and bratwurst (SB) from your car into your house you're not doing it right. But if it makes you happy I say go for broke.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
That's a bunch of justifying why you think it's better than a simple key. You don't own a dog. If you haven't figured out how to plan the upload of massive amounts of lasagna and bratwurst (SB) from your car into your house you're not doing it right. But if it makes you happy I say go for broke.
You asked for justification, I gave you justification.

Don’t shit on me when I gave you said justification, especially when it involves a shitty Sorry Bill joke.

When I got my Tacoma I found you could replace the fob with a credit card style fob. So I no longer have a truck key, with a lock like this I don't need to carry any keys on me. I keep the few in the truck for our shop and a few other things that I don't need on a daily basis.

Not carrying keys has been worth WAY more than I paid for the deadbolt gadget and credit card key, this thing fits in the "watch pocket" of jeans: