Wifi deadbolt lock

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
I have a detached garage. Sometimes I forget to lock the door. The last thing I feel like doing at 12am is walking outside in my jammie jams in the rain to lock it.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Definitely a convenience factor of being able to lock and unlock the door with your phone or with a keypad code.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
When I got my Tacoma I found you could replace the fob with a credit card style fob. So I no longer have a truck key, with a lock like this I don't need to carry any keys on me. I keep the few in the truck for our shop and a few other things that I don't need on a daily basis.

Not carrying keys has been worth WAY more than I paid for the deadbolt gadget and credit card key, this thing fits in the "watch pocket" of jeans:

I'm going to do that with my Toyota. Need to get around to getting all the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
I don't understand why anyone would want one of these things. What's the attraction, how does it make your life more convenient? Honest question, I don't get it.

Here is a few uses i like. I have a building I rent out. When they clean up and leave for the night they pull the door shut and lock it. I can see if the door is locked or unlocked on my phone. If they forgot I can remote lock it and not have to drive 15 minutes and do it. I also have the lock on a system that at 12:30 am the door locks and the alarm are on a timer, so if I forget to check it locks and arms itself.

Works the other way too. I don't have to give anyone a key to my building. When they arrive I can unlock it from anywhere.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Here is a few uses i like. I have a building I rent out. When they clean up and leave for the night they pull the door shut and lock it. I can see if the door is locked or unlocked on my phone. If they forgot I can remote lock it and not have to drive 15 minutes and do it. I also have the lock on a system that at 12:30 am the door locks and the alarm are on a timer, so if I forget to check it locks and arms itself.

Works the other way too. I don't have to give anyone a key to my building. When they arrive I can unlock it from anywhere.
I can't emphasize how useful the auto-lock feature is for me. My wife can be a dingbat (hey Edith) at times, so this really is helpful.

I am going to upgrade my garage door opener so when I get a UPS or FedEx delivery I can open it remotely enough for them to slide the packages in. Since I need to replace the doors anyway, and one needs an opener. Fuck it. I am doing two new doors, two new WiFi-enabled belt-drive openers, nylon rollers - the whole kit and kaboodle. A buddy of mine in NJ does that stuff for a living and when he's ready to come down here for a working vacation I'll have him do it. He can bang that shit out in a day and can stay here as long as he wants after.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I am going to upgrade my garage door opener so when I get a UPS or FedEx delivery I can open it remotely enough for them to slide the packages in. Since I need to replace the doors anyway, and one needs an opener. Fuck it. I am doing two new doors, two new WiFi-enabled belt-drive openers, nylon rollers - the whole kit and kaboodle. A buddy of mine in NJ does that stuff for a living and when he's ready to come down here for a working vacation I'll have him do it. He can bang that shit out in a day and can stay here as long as he wants after.
My parents bought me a Chamberlain opener for Christmas....it's great, but I have since learned that Chamberlains don't work with Alexa (if total integration is your goal). Installation was pretty straightforward, but maybe because my old opener was a Chamberlain as well.

I was in an Air BnB last month that had one of those August locks...very cool. They were able to open the home for us remotely when we arrived with a code and then the fob was in the house