WIFI Problem Solved

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
This thing was driving me nuts, constantly dropping connections for no obvious reason. Would work fine for a day, then would be complete crap the next. Had fun with this thing for an entire week. Would only get 3 bars and the Router was right down the hall, in direct line of sight!!

Swapped out the Antenna with one WIFI adapter that came with a Zotec Motherboard. The Antenna is barely an inch long. Screwed it on to the Blue Port. Wasn't sure if it's just a Dual Band antenna or the red is some sort of power connection? Get all five bars and it hasn't dropped connection yet. Still not sure what the difference is between the Red and Blue. Can't find anything online to tell me. Any technical baggers know?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Usually 2 antenna connections is for "antenna diversity" which improves overall reception. You can find this on other wireless communication devices like wireless mics.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I was picking up 6 WIFI connections and now only one, other than my own Router. So the other connections were interfering or the Antenna is crap?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Do you get good signal and rates from your router, then that is all I would worry about. Yes they can interfere with each other if they are on the same or even some adjacent channels. Back when it was only "802.11b" ch 1, 6, and 11 do not interfere with each other. A lot of equipment ships in ch6 and nobody changes it so equipment operating on the same channels on different radios will interfere when being used simultaneously. So chs 2, 3, 4, 5 would interfere with both 1 and 6 etc...

Download netstumbler this program is pretty old and it may not report accurately (in terms of realistic signal levels) for every wifi card but it can be a good way to analyze what is in range of where you are. Its the easiest way to see channels too. Fire it up and walk around the outer walls to see what access points you can find.

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
near philly
I had a problem similar to this. I had a 802.11 b router that was iffy. 2 laptops would be on it but it wouldn't let anything else connect. I upgraded to a N router and now all is well. Now if only I could ditch dsl and get something faster.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
If you have an Android smartphone, the Wifi Analyzer app works better than Netstumbler in my experience.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
I didn't even know I had a channel 14 in my router. Works a lot better now.
Not sure if serious...

The problem with going above ch11 is that they are not intended for US, so even if the router can go to 14 you may find that some of your devices wont be able to connect on 14.

If so then great, just watch your cornhole for the FCC raype.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Not sure if serious...

The problem with going above ch11 is that they are not intended for US, so even if the router can go to 14 you may find that some of your devices wont be able to connect on 14.

If so then great, just watch your cornhole for the FCC raype.
Nah. It only goes up to 11, but I've got it cranked all the way up.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Of all my stuff using a WIFI, you would figure a big PCI card with giant oversized antenna would be the most reliable.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Of all my stuff using a WIFI, you would figure a big PCI card with giant oversized antenna would be the most reliable.
Did the antenna come with the pci card? Sometimes you can have TOO high of a gain antenna which helps you reach farther away but may not be appropriate in some cases. Higher gain makes the transmitted signal smaller. Another issue is the tiny cables that come with some some antennas eat up a lot of signal.