Will Anyone Else Admit to Listening to Prog?

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Searching for Prog stuff on this site yields virtually no results, so fuck it. Someone else around here has to listen to Prog stuff, so this will be the sparsely attended thread that discusses it. Some prog acts like Dream Theater or Opeth will get play over in the Metal thread, but there's nowhere to put seventies-influenced-keyboards-on-a-17-minute-epic type stuff.

And yes. I know that Prog is not popular either here or anywhere else, really.

I've been listening to a lot of new Prog (new for me) lately, and I'm curious if anyone else listens to any of it. I did about four months most recently with the entire Marillion discography, and now I'm just breaking the seal for the first time on Beardfish. Eagerly awaiting new Gazpacho and have very much enjoyed new stuff by Opeth and Steven Wilson.

Anyone else who listens to Prog? Anyone got any suggestions of other bands to get into?

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Sure. I'm a big Rush fan of their epic '70s albums, was just listening to all of A Farewell To Kings today on my way home from work. But I also was listening to a Marillion mix a friend of mine made for me years ago. I really can't get into them. The song Easter was OK but most of it was a little depressing and sort of went on and on without a hook or melody to remember. He also made me a Porcupine Tree mix which I also need to try again. None of it really stuck with me initially.
He's normally considered a pop-act and later on, adult comtemporary, but Elton John's proggy Funeral For a Friend is possibly my favorite piece of music by anyone ever. I never get tired of hearing that song. Dream Theater did a cover of it back in the '90s.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I commented on this several days ago but it didn't post. I took am a huge Rush fan and although I'm not a huge coniseur of prog rock it somehow find me. I used to listen to Dream Theater quite a bit back in the day however I don't really anymore. I still listen to the older albums from time to time but I don't look forward to anything new. A couple of my favorite band of the past 10 or so years fall into the prog rock/metal category. Fair to Midland which was my favorite band by fast within the past 15 years had to albums before breaking up. Still better than most anything I've heard since HUM. Karnivool is another name I happened upon. Pretty good stuff. I only wish I saw them when they toured with Fair to Midland.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
I was actually on a minor Rush kick yesterday afternoon, but that's about as far as I get with prog

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
I get Prog Rock kicks every time I see this episode of Venture Brothers

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I'll listen to some but it's mostly 70's stuff.
King Crimson, ELP, Yes

Searching for Prog stuff on this site yields virtually no results, so fuck it. Someone else around here has to listen to Prog stuff, so this will be the sparsely attended thread that discusses it. Some prog acts like Dream Theater or Opeth will get play over in the Metal thread, but there's nowhere to put seventies-influenced-keyboards-on-a-17-minute-epic type stuff.

And yes. I know that Prog is not popular either here or anywhere else, really.

I've been listening to a lot of new Prog (new for me) lately, and I'm curious if anyone else listens to any of it. I did about four months most recently with the entire Marillion discography, and now I'm just breaking the seal for the first time on Beardfish. Eagerly awaiting new Gazpacho and have very much enjoyed new stuff by Opeth and Steven Wilson.
A coworker with very similar tastes in music told me about Dream Theater back in the early 90's. All kidding aside, I've been meaning to check them out for over 20 years. I'm ready to give 'em a shot, what should I download?

mrfarstucker

I was really into prog rock/metal for a while... primarily Dream Theater, Opeth, Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson's other stuff), Devin Townsend, and Between the Buried and Me. I still listen to them... but haven't really been discovering new stuff in a while.

A coworker with very similar tastes in music told me about Dream Theater back in the early 90's. All kidding aside, I've been meaning to check them out for over 20 years. I'm ready to give 'em a shot, what should I download?
I have all their stuff up through Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and then I tapped out. I'd say avoid When Dream and Day Unite (or save it for last). Maybe start with Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes from a Memory?

Discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_discography#Studio_albums

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Images and Words I believe was their second album and it's what got me into them back in 94. I still listen to it.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
I was really into prog rock/metal for a while... primarily Dream Theater, Opeth, Porcupine Tree (and Steven Wilson's other stuff), Devin Townsend, and Between the Buried and Me. I still listen to them... but haven't really been discovering new stuff in a while.

I have all their stuff up through Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and then I tapped out. I'd say avoid When Dream and Day Unite (or save it for last). Maybe start with Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes from a Memory?

Discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_discography#Studio_albums

Between The Buried and Me are amazing but much like most other people I kind of lost interest. "Alaska" is still great listen though.

I like some of the well known Prog Rock from the 70s like Rush and Yes but mostly I like metal bands who have prog influences. Mastodon and Tool probably being two of the best known. Was never really into Dream Theater, though I think they are great musicians.

Procol Harum and I guess many would say Pink Floyd was Prog-Rock

DiggerNick

Donator
I like Opeth and Dutch genius Arjen Lucassen with his various epic prog projects like Ayreon and Star One.

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
I'm old school with my prog. Yes, King Crimson, etc.
Yes, Stig is old.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Mastodon's Crack The Skye is about as far as I get into it. Hell of an album.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I'll listen to some but it's mostly 70's stuff.
King Crimson, ELP, Yes
Now we're talkin'.
Images and Words is goddamn near a perfect album from the nineties as mrfarstucker said, and their newest album is actually really good. Self titled, and a great picture of present day technical prog. It manages to have good musicianship and heart too, which a lot of the super-technical shit loses.

Images and Words I believe was their second album and it's what got me into them back in 94. I still listen to it.
Scenes from a memory is a goddamn spectacular choice.
Procol Harum and I guess many would say Pink Floyd was Prog-Rock
They totally were. Their best albums are long-form concept albums and their early psychedelic shit are both way proggy. They aren't as technically literate as (most) other bands, but they can totally be classified.
I'm old school with my prog. Yes, King Crimson, etc.
Yes, Stig is old.
You ever listen to Camel?

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
You ever listen to Camel?
Only when The Stig had it on the car stereo for about a minute and a half.
Am I still the only bagger to collaborate with you on your prog stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Only when The Stig had it on the car stereo for about a minute and a half.
Am I still the only bagged to collaborate with you on your prog stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is correct. Cokelogic used some of my stuff for the Mafialife Chris project, so that was cool on that end, but your guitars on my Apotheosis track are the only 'collaboration' I've done. Lookit that, I'm talkin' like I'm a goddamn musician or somfin'.

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
That is correct. Cokelogic used some of my stuff for the Mafialife Chris project, so that was cool on that end, but your guitars on my Apotheosis track are the only 'collaboration' I've done. Lookit that, I'm talkin' like I'm a goddamn musician or somfin'.
There was also The Way Through. It's on my ipod.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
There was also The Way Through. It's on my ipod.
Oh that's right! Jesus. I keep wanting to resurrect that stuff and get it properly edited and whatnot, but that means fighting with computers and drivers and shit, so I always lose steam immediately.

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
Oh that's right! Jesus. I keep wanting to resurrect that stuff and get it properly edited and whatnot, but that means fighting with computers and drivers and shit, so I always lose steam immediately.
I have to shut down half of my computer in task manager before I record!

Between The Buried and Me are amazing but much like most other people I kind of lost interest. "Alaska" is still great listen though.

I like some of the well known Prog Rock from the 70s like Rush and Yes but mostly I like metal bands who have prog influences. Mastodon and Tool probably being two of the best known. Was never really into Dream Theater, though I think they are great musicians.
I love Tool, but how have I never heard of Mastodon? Where do I start with them? Is @Faggy on point with Crack the Skye?

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
I love Tool, but how have I never heard of Mastodon? Where do I start with them? Is @Faggy on point with Crack the Skye?
You probably have heard a couple of songs off Crack The Skye. CBS NFL used one of the songs for rejoiner music and replays a couple years back.

Remission was their first major release and has my favorite song of their's "March of the Fire Ants" (below) but Leviathan is where they really took off. It's a concept album about Moby Dick and it's considered to be an epic like a novel. As far as their mostly widely appreciated stuff, it would probably be Crack The Skye. I provided two more of their songs off that album below as well. It's not for everyone, but if you appreciate the Prog style you'll certainly find it in Mastodon.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Most people got into them from Leviathan or Blood Mountain. I consider them a fairly unique band and dynamic in how they write a lot of their music, what with time changes and cramming many different riffs in under the span of a minute. Also, their drumming is over the top, which I feel gives them an uncontrolled sound and it adds to the experience, although they toned it down on Crack The Skye.

Following what @tonedef said, I'll suggest the following tracks to YouTube:

Blood And Thunder (their staple)
I Am Ahab (really great riff after the minute mark, a great exaple of what they're capable of)
Megalodon
The Wolf Is Loose (another staple)
Capillarian Crest (I'd honestly call this one of the best examples of why the metal genre is great)

Overall though, CTS is probably their "triumph". No tracks are skip-worthy, they proved they didn't need to go overboard, etc.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
What about a band that isn't pure prog rock, but kind of has that elements? I know lots of people say Voivod is "progressive thrash" for instance.

Ditto97

Professor of White Male Studies
I listen now and again, not my favorite genre but if I find a good song I can get into it'll last me a good while.

Newer band, the drummer used to be with Spock's Beard: