Will Anyone Else Admit to Listening to Prog?

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Time to bump the most popular thread in the history of the internet.

The new album from Marillion is out, called FEAR (Fuck Everything And Run) and it's fucking fantastic. They released this song as an early 'single' a few weeks ago. Going to be listening to this album on a loop for the foreseeable future.

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
Yacht prog rock is awesome.
Does that sound like Yes with Michael McDonald singing?

(Right now, in my head, I hear What A Fool Believes, but he's singing the lyrics to Roundabout. )

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
If you like pina coladas ON ACID!

Ditto97

Professor of White Male Studies
Think Toto's Africa with a mellotron.

Bobobie

I always thought progressive Rock mixed non-classic Rock instruments and musical styles. How does Rush qualify?

Floyd1977

I always thought progressive Rock mixed non-classic Rock instruments and musical styles. How does Rush qualify?
Long form songs, especially with sci-if or fantasy elements are a mainstay of Prog, in this way Rush qualifies. Now, Rush only really went through a Prog period in the 70s starting when Neil Peart joined the band. Before that, they were only really a Zeppelin/Cream knockoff. After the 70s they went more back to traditional rock.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Pssst

Diamond Head - Phil Manzanara

801 Live - Phil Manzanara and Brian Eno

Another immaculately produced live prog album is the great Viva! Roxy Music

Bobobie

Long form songs, especially with sci-if or fantasy elements are a mainstay of Prog, in this way Rush qualifies. Now, Rush only really went through a Prog period in the 70s starting when Neil Peart joined the band. Before that, they were only really a Zeppelin/Cream knockoff. After the 70s they went more back to traditional rock.
If that were the case then Deep Purple would be progressive, but most people paint them as Hard or even early Metal. They have a lot of Fantasy and SciFi lyrics. I always assumed progressive rock was a fusion of different types of music and traditional instruments like ELO using classical string instruments and Chicago having a Horn Section.

Floyd1977

If that were the case then Deep Purple would be progressive, but most people paint them as Hard or even early Metal. They have a lot of Fantasy and SciFi lyrics. I always assumed progressive rock was a fusion of different types of music and traditional instruments like ELO using classical string instruments and Chicago having a Horn Section.
Well, Prog can be tough to put a hard definition on, I guess, it's one of those things where you know it if you hear it. However, it doesn't have to do much with using odd instruments. ELO for example, had a signature (at least up until the 80s) of using strings (and even on on album, a full orchestra), as well as some loose concept albums, but they're mostly considered pop (Athough one of their early albums could be considered Prog and it was composed mostly of long form songs). Chicago used horns, but their songs were usually of the "standard" rock format. There is a genre known as fusion that are comprised of bands like the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Again, Prog can be characterized by a tendency to delve into long form songs especially ones that have Fanstasy, Sci-Fi or literary themes. 70s Rush, Yes, Genesis, Renaissance etc. fall into this category. You've got heavy Keyboard, Mellotron, Organ etc driven music. Again, Genesis, Yes and others like Floyd, ELP, King Crimson, The Moody Blues etc.

Now, you can have bands that have some of these elements but not really be Prog. For example, Skynyrd and Steve Miller sometimes used the Mellotron but wouldn't really be considered Prog.

HandPanzer

τι θελεις

Been on a bit of a kick lately. Prog metal counts too, right?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Came for Porgs. Disappointed.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator

Been on a bit of a kick lately. Prog metal counts too, right?
Prog metal absolutely counts. SFOA is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums. Pick up an instrument and try playing along with Dance of Eternity.
Shit, now you've got me on a DT kick.

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
Prog metal absolutely counts. SFOA is one of my favorite Dream Theater albums. Pick up an instrument and try playing along with Dance of Eternity.
Shit, now you've got me on a DT kick.
Detox, you fucking hippie? :action-sm

Stig

A Bigly Bad Hombre.
Fuck yes.
Also, don't act like your own musical tastes don't get proggy as shit from back in the day. You know damn well you can post some shit in here.
True. Speaking of, new Guided By Voices album is out today. Not quite prog, but definitely weird with prog bits.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
True. Speaking of, new Guided By Voices album is out today. Not quite prog, but definitely weird with prog bits.
Oh yeah, saw you tweeted that this morning. Playing it now, will see how it goes.