Window falling down

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Did anyone ever hear of a window just FALLING down into the door while the car is off? It was half down when I walked to my car, then I tried to put it back up and it slid the rest of the way down. All the auto places are closed for the weekend so I couldn't call anyone. My guess is it's a blown fuse since it's a power window, but I was just wondering if this type of thing can happen when someone breaks in with a slim jim or something.

Anyway it sure does suck, not to mention it's really freakin bizarre. Especially since the car's only 10 years old.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Your window is probably on a rail that broke free. Stupid piece of plastic that will cost you 100$.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Most times it's the window regulator. That's the piece that converts
the rotary movement of the motor into an up and down motion.
Either the window came off the regulator because extreme heat
has softened the adhesive or it physically broke.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I had it happen twice on different windows in my car, a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A part of the motor that controls the scissor lift just... breaks. Its a fucking pain in the ass and about $300ish to fix, mostly because the entire mechanism has to be swapped out.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
I had it happen twice on different windows in my car, a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A part of the motor that controls the scissor lift just... breaks. Its a fucking pain in the ass and about $300ish to fix, mostly because the entire mechanism has to be swapped out.
That would be the regulator I was referring to. My bet is that's his problem.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
That would be the regulator I was referring to. My bet is that's his problem.
Regulator, thats the word I was looking for. I guess my non car guy status is telling.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Most times it's the window regulator. That's the piece that converts
the rotary movement of the motor into an up and down motion.
Either the window came off the regulator because extreme heat
has softened the adhesive
or it physically broke.
Christ I'm a dumbbell. I didn't even think of the heat.
the entire mechanism has to be swapped out.
That's exactly the type of thing I'm worried about. It always seems to be some redundant bullshit making up 90% of the bill.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
make model and year please......... ;)

i saw this problem on tv last week and i stayed in a holiday in express last night so i might be able to cobble together a solution to the problem.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
My wife's old 2002 Jetta had this as a recall item. There was something like a 30% failure rate within the first 5 years.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
fords are famous for it, they glued the windows into the lift track and the glue failed, gm has crappy little clips that break, most of them now have an endless cable set up like an 8track tape that likes to wear out and get all tangled up. ive done more window regulators than i can count. probably two or three a week. i had to do my own truck last summer because a .20ct clip broke, i tried a presidential solution for it (zip tie) and it didn't work it pissed me off it cost me 150$ at my cost to fix it. whats worse is dodge had a run of them in the early 2000's that are 300$ a piece gm and ford has so many that failed that they now have a core charge on them to keep the cost down the window motor its self isnt bad, its the pulleys and the retainer clips that shit the bed.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
make model and year please......... ;)

i saw this problem on tv last week and i stayed in a holiday in express last night so i might be able to cobble together a solution to the problem.
2000 kia sportage.
Meh. I'm all ready to shit out the 300 it sounds like this will cost. It'd be great if it was less, but I just hope it's not more.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well when the window would intermittently go up and down thought it was the motor or the regulator... and due to it being an Infinity I would have been looking at about $400 each for either part. Turned out to be the amplifier... basically a plastic box with some electronics in it that makes the window go express up or express down. Cost $50 for a new one...

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
looks like the part is about 100$ and the labor is going to be about the same

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Well when the window would intermittently go up and down thought it was the motor or the regulator... and due to it being an Infinity I would have been looking at about $400 each for either part. Turned out to be the amplifier... basically a plastic box with some electronics in it that makes the window go express up or express down. Cost $50 for a new one...
True but he has a window that physically just drops into the door.
That's a broken part and I'd go with a regulator being at fault.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Regulator + motor. $490. Fuck piss.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
get the regulator and do it yourself. i am not a mechanic but i have fixed a few things that my lexus dealership wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for. a few weeks ago the lock assembly on the rear door just died. i went to the dealership and they told me that it would cost @$500 to do the repair. $270 for the part and a couple hundred for the labor. i asked them for the part # and ordered the part online. i got the assembly for $160 and did the repair in under 30 minutes. the toughest part was accessing the lock assembly inside the door. if you can use a screwdriver there's a 99.999999% chance you can do it yourself.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Then that .00000001 % that you are going to fuck it up and I will charge you double to fix it.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Indeed. Loves me the home wrench that can't fix things. :haha7:
I had to read that eight times to figure out what it meant. So I probably should pony up on this one. :icon_mrgr

Open up a car door and put it back together with a household screwdriver?? Seriously?

Oct 16, 2002
N.J.
I had to read that eight times to figure out what it meant. So I probably should pony up on this one. :icon_mrgr

Open up a car door and put it back together with a household screwdriver?? Seriously?

Yup, you sure can.....and a wrench. I had this happen to my Jeep just a few weeks ago. I saw a vid on youtube on how to fix a window regulator, ordered the part and fixed it myself. It would have cost me close to $400 to get it fix, fuck that, it cost me the part ($55) and my time, about an hour. I was very surprised on how easy it was for a novice to fix and very happy for the money I saved.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
id say if you're SOMEWHAT mechanically inclined you may have a good chance of doing it yourself if youre just replacing the entire assembly (regulator + motor)

I did my uncle's Pontiac Grand Am but the regulator was riveted to the door so I had to drill out the rivets. Other cars the piece just bolts right in. Sometimes getting the door panel off is the hardest part.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
For my car i needed a philips head, and a T-25 torx head. Granted a torx bit isn't an everyday household item but with my hobbies i have all sorts of specialty tools. I have multiple R/C cars and i'm pretty fucking good at assembling and disassembling intricate parts.

Long story short.....3 philips head screws and multiple clips hold the door trim in place. 3 torx screws hold the lock assembly in place.

Sent from my rooted T-bolt using my fingers!