Windows XP vs earlier versions

hollyvoodoo

Equal opportunity ass-kicker
If any of you deeks is using Windows XP, could you please tell me more about this operating system and what are the advantages compared to Windows 87 or 2000, and what are the shortcomings, if any. Appreciate it.

windows 87? Damn.. busta movie, uh I mean Rock n' Roll Junkie, you got an old PC.

Windows XP is basically windows 2000 under the hood, XP is plug and play friendly unlike 2k. It is the most stable OS from microsoft yet IMO

from a previous post on xp:

Its fast as hell, looks better, boots MUCH faster, less crashes, better memory managment, and a lot of other changes... too much to list

when I use win 98 (which I have on my laptop) it seems old and slow compared to xp. My opinion? Best Operating System I've ever used..

more info on speed differences

ZDnet review

Windows XP home page
[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

hollyvoodoo

Equal opportunity ass-kicker
Thanks for the info, Stingray. Somehow I missed that old post. Doh! It's not my PC that is old, it's my friend's. He's got Windows 98 on it. Oh, it was supposed to be 98, not 87. :D. Typo!

Cable is very nice though. It makes it easier to put up with Win 98. :) I don't have a PC right now. Hopefully I'll be getting one sometime soon. Too bad I can't afford the one I want, and the ones I can, I don't. ;) Thanks again.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Rock n' Roll Junkie ]

S

sextypething

xp is much better than any previous version of windows. it takes some time to get used to and to get used to all of the features it has. but it is definitely worth it.it has been the fastest and most reliable operating system for the home that microsoft has put out. i do suggest plenty of ram when using it though. i have 328 right now and it works great, i am going to get more though in the future to help speed it up

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
It is all in good fun.

before you upgrade. double check to make sure everything is compatible with it. It will make things a lot eaiser. trust me.

Originally posted by sextypething
xp is much better than any previous version of windows. it takes some time to get used to and to get used to all of the features it has. but it is definitely worth it.it has been the fastest and most reliable operating system for the home that microsoft has put out. i do suggest plenty of ram when using it though. i have 328 right now and it works great, i am going to get more though in the future to help speed it up
Havent had a problem with XP since I first put it in, Very stable OS (512 ram)