Winmagic SecureDoc Encryption

blazin

Does anybody have experience with this?

I have an XP laptop that will not boot and I need to run chkdsk on it to fix the issue.

However, I cant because the disk is encrypted

Normally, when you turn the computer on, the SecureDoc screen comes on and I have to enter the username and pw to "unlock" the disk- however, when I boot from CD I don't get to do this.

When I pull the HD and dock it on another computer, it thinks the drive needs formatting (because its encrypted)

What do I do? Seems like I need a special boot disk or something.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Gotta say, if you don't have a method of accessing the drive to bypass the encryption, you may be screwed. At my job, we use pointsec, and when they shit the bed, they usually require a complete wipe. That's the unfortunate side effect of the program doing its job.

blazin

I thought I did, I downloaded something called "SecureDoc Media Viewer" and when I dock the drive on this PC it does indeed say "Encrypted media detected" but I cant do anything else.

I know the credentials to sign on the system. At this point, Im just looking for some way to pull the files.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Gotta say, if you don't have a method of accessing the drive to bypass the encryption, you may be screwed. At my job, we use pointsec, and when they shit the bed, they usually require a complete wipe. That's the unfortunate side effect of the program doing its job.
It doesn't require a wipe, you just never figured out how to unlock the encryption. Open the safe!