winows XP and Vista on the same network

SwimConnerSwim

O&A Token Midget
Feb 20, 2007
New Jersey
I'm trying to transfer files from my XP desktop to my Vista laptop. I have a workgroup set up on my network, and shared the shared documents file on the XP machine, but I can't get my Vista laptop to see the XP unit on the network. Anyone know how I can get the laptop to "see" the XP machine on my network?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Obvious question, but does it work the other way? Can you access the Vista machine from the XP machine?

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
I have not tried this as our company does not support Vista yet but you might want to try getting the ip of the XP machine and going to \\ipaddresshere on the vista machine.

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Make sure Network and File sharing is turned on with the Vista box. When you open the file exporer,and try to browse the network, it should warn that it is turned off, and ask if you want to trun it on.

You will have to be a local admn to turn it on.

SwimConnerSwim

O&A Token Midget
Feb 20, 2007
New Jersey
I have not tried this as our company does not support Vista yet but you might want to try getting the ip of the XP machine and going to \\ipaddresshere on the vista machine.
that worked. I can see and transfer the files. Thanks alot this will save me a ton of time running back and forth with a thumb drive.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Related question... but hate to derail the thread.

My boss just got a Lenovo laptop running Vista (Home Premium) and I want to be able to transfer files to him, via my networked Mac.

Spare me the "Mac's suck" BS... I have never file shared cross OS's, only within Mac and Linux.

I'm sure there is some simple way... just need a push in the right direction.

Thx all

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
that worked. I can see and transfer the files. Thanks alot this will save me a ton of time running back and forth with a thumb drive.
Time for a hijack. Anyone have luck doing the opposite?

I have a desktop running windows xp, and my wife just got a laptop running vista. The laptop connect via wireless. She can see my shared folder, but I cant get my Xp desktop to see her "public" folder. Any ideas?

cknight725

Wackbag Biblical Scholar
Sep 9, 2005
Albuq., NM
Time for a hijack. Anyone have luck doing the opposite?

I have a desktop running windows xp, and my wife just got a laptop running vista. The laptop connect via wireless. She can see my shared folder, but I cant get my Xp desktop to see her "public" folder. Any ideas?
Same deal -- \\ip_address_of_Vista_Laptop\ ...

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I thought it would open up some kind of magnetic hole or something.