Wireless bridge - pretty sweet

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
At my old place, I went to the trouble of pulling ethernet all over the place because wireless coverage totally sucked ass due to the construction of the house.

I was going to do the same here, but am just not motivated to do so. It's just too fucking hot in the attic. So, to get by I was using ethernet/coax bridges to get network connectivity to the other end of my L-shaped house via the coax for my DirecTV setup.

It worked, but I could see that all that the extra network traffic was hindering the operation of my DirecTV stuff. I have a very robust dual-band wireless router (Asus RT-AC66U). So, I picked up a Linksys WUMC710 dual-band wireless bridge.

This thing is badass. Got it all configured and in place very quickly, performance is excellent. It's rated for up to 1.3Gbps on the wireless. I am seeing about 700Mbps, which is fine with me considering the ethernet/coax bridge was only delivering 100Mbps. It has 4 gigabit LAN ports. My stepson has his XBox and TV plugged into it plus I've got a 2.4GHZ AP connected that he uses for his laptop, smartphone, etc. I have all my stuff on the 5GHZ band via my router except my smartphone.

It's $130 and up most places, but I found a seller on ebay that had a bunch of brand new for like $64. It's a reasonably priced way to extend your network if you need to.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
It worked, but I could see that all that the extra network traffic was hindering the operation of my DirecTV stuff..
What in particular? On demand downloads, whole home DVR playback on other receivers? I know there are times on Directv that he on demand downloads can be painfully slow.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
What in particular? On demand downloads, whole home DVR playback on other receivers? I know there are times on Directv that he on demand downloads can be painfully slow.

My stepson plays WoW all the fucking time. We have the Genie system, with the H34 (main box) in our master bedroom, four of the C31 "clients" and two stand-alone HD receivers for a total of 7. The clients would respond really slow whenever the boy was online doing the gaming thing. The H34 has the tuners in it and basically streams to the clients. When my stepson was offline, everything worked fine. Now that I have all of the non-DirecTV traffic off the DECA coax network, everything works fine all the time.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
My stepson plays WoW all the fucking time. We have the Genie system, with the H34 (main box) in our master bedroom, four of the C31 "clients" and two stand-alone HD receivers for a total of 7. The clients would respond really slow whenever the boy was online doing the gaming thing. The H34 has the tuners in it and basically streams to the clients. When my stepson was offline, everything worked fine. Now that I have all of the non-DirecTV traffic off the DECA coax network, everything works fine all the time.
Hadn't even thought about the c31's, otherwise that DECA setup works very well.

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
I did the same thing with an old WRT54GS. I just loaded DD WRT on it, and set it to run as a wireless bridge. I've got my blu ray player and Dish receiver plugged into it. The only time I've had trouble streaming on demand stuff is when my step-daughter is playing Xbox and streaming something else on the computer. I set it up this way because my house is on a slab, and that section of the attic is a bitch to get into.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That's what I've got - a house on a slab. The attic is the only way to go. Here in Florida, where it's already in the 90's in May - I am not pulling CAT5e through the attic anytime soon. Plus, not all of it is floored, and there is like 24" of insulation up there, which means I can't even see the joists let alone try to walk on them.

So far, this bridge is working perfectly.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
does it create another SSID or extend your existing making one SSID for your entire house?

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It is an ethernet to wifi bridge... connects to my 5ghz wireless router and has 4 gigabit ports on it to plug stuff in. Functionally, it is like I ran a Cat5e cable over there, put a switch on the end of it, and connected the other end to my router. It doesn't do anything to the wifi other than connect to it. I have a standalone 2.4 ghz wireless AP plugged into one of the ports that's got its own SSID. My stepson connects all his stuff to that AP since that end part of the house is basically his.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Ah, I see what you mean now. Ive used an Amped Wireless extender which has 4 lan ports as well, but also extends the wifi. Problem is it creates another ssid like "ssid_extended"

Im looking for something that I dont have to switch back and forth between two ssid's, like in a hotel.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Ah, I see what you mean now. Ive used an Amped Wireless extender which has 4 lan ports as well, but also extends the wifi. Problem is it creates another ssid like "ssid_extended"

Im looking for something that I dont have to switch back and forth between two ssid's, like in a hotel.

That's what I'd like to have. My wifi is so weak out front that my phone keeps flip-flopping back between my wifi and Verizon LTE. I'd like to add an extender just to eliminate that problem. I can't sit on our front porch and actually accomplish anything on my phone.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Another alternative is to buy an Apple Airport extreme base station (about $200) an then buy an Airport Express (about $100). Setup the Extreme to your wireless connection then setup the Express; the setup tutorial will ask you if you want to extend the range of the Extreme. Say yes; it does all the rest. Then plug the Express into an open power plug on the other side of your place; you now have bridged wifi with very little effort.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The only downside to a WIFI connection is the slow file transpher speeds over your local network. All my stuff is WIFI now due to my current living situation and I really miss my Cat5 setup at my old place.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
A great company to use when you need to build out a wifi network is Ubiquiti: http://www.ubnt.com/

Their products are really robust and can be very affordable. Indoor and outdoor even at distances of several miles while maintaining very high speeds too. For home and small to medium sized buildings look at their Unifi products. You can even do wireless mesh if pulling wire is a problem.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I use one and it's awesome. My apt is long a d there's lots of outside interference. I placed it in the bedroom. Before that wifi in the bed/bath was shit.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
This doesn't amplify Wi-Fi, but it uses Wi-Fi to extend your wired network. It has four gig lan ports for connecting up your wired devices where you'd otherwise not have the ability to do so.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Due to the length of the building I bought a new "whole house router" and then ran some cat 5 out to the barn and put the old router there... with the same SSID as the main router... I can stream the b-b-b-b-boys (via wifi) all the way to the shit pile now.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Due to the length of the building I bought a new "whole house router" and then ran some cat 5 out to the barn and put the old router there... with the same SSID as the main router... I can stream the b-b-b-b-boys (via wifi) all the way to the shit pile now.
My house is pretty big and L-shaped. I think it's 70' or so across the front and about the same down the long side. Now I want to measure it when I get home.

I've got a dual-band router, two 5ghz bridges, and and three additional 2.4ghz access points. That's what it took to have coverage everywhere.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
My house is pretty big and L-shaped. I think it's 70' or so across the front and about the same down the long side. Now I want to measure it when I get home.

I've got a dual-band router, two 5ghz bridges, and and three additional 2.4ghz access points. That's what it took to have coverage everywhere.
Mine is 27' x 130'... it's post and beam... with a big ass 100' 24" high girder that runs most of the length of it.

The "whole house" did kinda cover the whole house but I would get drop outs in the barn which was the furthest away from it. Note the barn is in the house. Literately if I took like two steps into the stall it would drop... and I have a shitty data plan so just easier to put the old router out there.