Wireless router issue for you network guys

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I have a customer who has a network scanner that send the scans via FTP to their individual computers. Unfortunately, their wireless router requires the computers be set to a dynamic IP instead of static. So any time the router goes out, it assigns a new IP address to the computers, and the scanner needs to be reprogrammed.

Any idea what settings I need to change on the router so it allows the computers to use a static IP?

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
What kind of setup is it? an office setting? or a small business/home setting? what brand model router? i'm curious as to why dynamic IPs are required by the router, the router shouldn't care as long as the computer's IP is in it's specified IP range.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
What kind of setup is it? an office setting? or a small business/home setting? what brand model router? i'm curious as to why dynamic IPs are required by the router, the router shouldn't care as long as the computer's IP is in it's specified IP range.
x2 router shouldnt be DCHP only unless its for security reasons, you should be able to program the scanner to have a manual IP address.

So on your router, if the DHCP range is something like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254, just set the scanner to something between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
It's a small office. I can't recall the brand of router - I'm going back there tomorrow. I don't know why but the router won't let the computers access the internet if they have static IPs.

Just to clarify, the scanner has a static IP - that's no problem. But the scans are directed to the workstation's IP address and that's where the problem comes in - the computer's IP changes any time the router goes out (they have frequent power outages).

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
2 things off the top of my head you can do.

1. if the ftp software allows it, enter the local hostname (computer name) instead of the IP, that way even if the ip is dynamic the hostname will be static since the computer name will be unique.

2. double check the dns settings when setting the workstation IPs static, it should be set as the same IP as the default gateway, this way, the computer is telling the router to look up the site information rather than directly, so if your ISP changes dns servers, the router will automatically have that info.
Also, after setting the static IP, be sure to flush the dns cache.
ipconfig /flushdns

something else i just thought of to look for. Some routers have the ability to assign a specific IP to a specific MAC address, some sort of static/dynamic hybrid, look for that too, albeit as a last resort as if a nic is replaced you'll start the cycle over again.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
get a ups for the router

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Couple of other tips/clarifications:

To use a static IP on client computers,

IP address: 192.168.x.x
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.x.1 (typical)

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.x.1 (same as default gateway)
Alternate DNS server: (use one of the DNS servers from the status page of the router)

The "x" in the third position gets replaced with whatever the network is configured for - usually 0,1,2,10 or 100 are the default for most lower end routers.

The "x" in the IP address gets a unique number (you assign it) but as posted already, make sure it is not in the DHCP range that the router is assigning.

Also, check the DCHP configuration to see if you can set the lease time higher or unlimited. Most routers assign an ip address for anywhere from 1 to 24 hours (sometimes set in seconds - so a minimum of 3600 seconds), meaning if you log off or are disconnected during that time, it should still automatically grab the same IP address when you reconnect.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
2. double check the dns settings when setting the workstation IPs static, it should be set as the same IP as the default gateway, this way, the computer is telling the router to look up the site information rather than directly, so if your ISP changes dns servers, the router will automatically have that info.
Also, after setting the static IP, be sure to flush the dns cache.
ipconfig /flushdns
Thanks. That seems to have solved it. I'll have to remember this one, because a few of my other customers have had the same issue.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Wouldn't the subnet mask be 255.255.0.0 in this case? Or am I missing something obvious..
I just put the 'x' in the third metric because it could be anything from 0 to 254. Since it was a small network, the assumption was that there would be less than 255 addresses necessary to supply the network, every computer would be using the same third metric. Hence a mask of 255.255.255.0

I just didn't want to add confusion by assuming the network was set up as 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x

BTW - if you needed to use 192.168.0.x AND 192.168.1.x to supply all the computers on a network, the subnet mask would be 255.255.254.0, technically giving you 510 addresses. 255.255.255.252 would give you 1022 address running from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.3.254

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
It's a small office. I can't recall the brand of router - I'm going back there tomorrow. I don't know why but the router won't let the computers access the internet if they have static IPs.

Just to clarify, the scanner has a static IP - that's no problem. But the scans are directed to the workstation's IP address and that's where the problem comes in - the computer's IP changes any time the router goes out (they have frequent power outages).
Can you use a computer name instead of IP address for the destination scans?

Ive set up scanners that do this, and you use the \\ComputerName\Share method instead of ip address

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
A NAS device might be something you may want to implement. Have the scanner dump all the scans to the NAS, which would have a static IP and they could pull the scans on an as-needed basis from any of the computers. The NAS would function like a network drive, accessible from any PC as a drive letter (like Z or something). That's how I'd do it.

Picklestyle

Jun 21, 2007
Alabama....ick
simple route. Buy the Dlink Wireless Print server. Install the printer/scanner to the device and it will create a logon page for the scanner to control it from the network (web based interface). They work 100% of the time. Give that try.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Can you use a computer name instead of IP address for the destination scans?

Ive set up scanners that do this, and you use the \\ComputerName\Share method instead of ip address
Unfortunately, it's a really low-end model that only allows you to enter the IP address. How low-end? The printer portion won't even have a Vista driver until November.