Woman slugs 70-year-old Walmart greeter after she asks to see receipt

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Elderly worker suffered fractures to the side of her face in attack(AP) Monday, December 26 2011, 1:53 PM

BATAVIA, N.Y. — A western New York woman is accused of slugging a 70-year-old Walmart greeter who asked to see a receipt for merchandise the woman was carrying out of the store.

Tah-Daaa! At this point why do you even bother clicking?

State Trooper Tracy Patterson says 26-year-old Jacquetta Simmons of Batavia was charged with two counts of assault for the attack that knocked 70-year-old Grace Suozzi to the ground. Patterson says Suozzi suffered fractures to the side of her face.

Simmons ran out of the store after the confrontation shortly before 11:30 Saturday morning but was detained by employees and customers until police arrived.

Woman slugs 70-year-old Walmart greeter after she asks to see receipt: Police

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
oh and wile im at it. if i saw some spook punching some poor old person at wall mart i would probably shoot them, i have decided that i am sick of this kind of shit

THRILLHO

Negress chimps out, in other news, the sun rose.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Fucking sheboon. What the fuck is wrong with people?

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
Maybe the Walmart greeter was wearing a hat and didn't remove it.

You guys jump to conclusions too fast.

Fuck Crosby

Bills. Beers. Broads.
Always good to see a home-town story on Wackbag. I guess this cunt was stealing a video game. She was however able to post the $40,000 bail today.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
but was detained by employees and customers until police arrived

Good for them. You don't see that a lot.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Always good to see a home-town story on Wackbag. I guess this cunt was stealing a video game. She was however able to post the $40,000 bail today.
"whaa"

Simmons on Sunday was being held in Genesee County Jail in lieu of $20,000 bail.

Patterson said Simmons had receipts for everything in her bags.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
She probably had a pair of Jordan's in her bag, fucking Shwoogies.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
If she didn't steal anything this time she surely has pilfered in the past.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
I'd be about 90% sure she was attempting to walk out of the Walmart with something she didn't pay for.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I'd be about 90% sure she was attempting to walk out of the Walmart with something she didn't pay for.

she was just being an uppity fucking spook. how dare that old bitch tell her to stop. also it really irritates me that they didn't say if the old lady was white or black, you know damn well if it was a white tweeker laying out a 70year old black lady for no reason it would have been a hate crime

jules

uppity taxpayer
again typical
kudos to the aa community for not drumming out the growing number of animals that are dragging the normal hardworking people down. great work

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
I never show my receipt either, but I just either ignore them or just say no thanks as I walk on by. I would never strike someone over the issue unless they hit me first. Might give an old lady a Patrice "mush" if she got in my face, but that would be the extent of it.

Dikbag

I have had the alarm go off on me leaving wal mart a few times. There is this 4ft tall down syndrome girl that watches the door and asks to see your receipt. I've always wanted to just take off running, just to see what she'd do.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
I have had the alarm go off on me leaving wal mart a few times. There is this 4ft tall down syndrome girl that watches the door and asks to see your receipt. I've always wanted to just take off running, just to see what she'd do.
And I'd laugh when that Pete Rose haircut gives you a retard pummeling.

Fuck Crosby

Bills. Beers. Broads.
Local update, long read

Witnesses describe combative situation after Walmart employee asked to see receipt
post by Howard Owens in batavia, crime

The 26-year-old Batavia resident accused of hitting a Walmart employee on Christmas Eve, yelled several obscenities at the 70-year-old woman before punching her in the face, according to several witnesses who made statements to the police.

The statements are contained in the court file of Jacquetta B. Simmons, of 106 Ellsworth Ave., Batavia, charged with two counts of assault in the second degree.

Th statements are from a dozen witnesses who describe the alleged incident either in detail or made the same general observations.

The altercation began, according to reports, when the employee asked a companion of the suspect for a receipt for merchandise in a shopping bag he was holding. Both of the customers refused to produce a receipt, according to the reports, at which point the employee reportedly grabbed the bag from the man.

The employee and a manager said they were enforcing Walmart policy, but numerous online articles say blanket policies have proven legally treacherous for retail stores.

More than a dozen statements about the alleged incident are contained in the court file of Simmons.

The employee, Grace Souzzi, was taken to UMMC where she was treated for injuries to her eye, jaw and cheek, including bone fractures. Souzzi's glasses were also broken when she was hit.

Souzzi gave a statement to a trooper while at the hospital.

"I was working at Walmart on register 2 when I asked a man for a receipt," Souzzi says in her statement. "The man said that the bag was the female's who I was checking out. The man and the woman both refused to show me the receipt, which is the company's policy. I paged my manager about three times. I walked around and took the bag from the man. The female grabbed the bag from me, yelling at me saying the F word every other word. I grabbed the bag back and the bag tore."

According to Souzzi's statement, customer service managers arrived at the register and the argument continued and, as Souzzi put it, "the female decked me."

While Souzzi states she was upholding store policy, several online articles indicate if Walmart's policy is to detain and require a customer produce a receipt for a purchase without suspicion of theft, it may be violating the customer's rights.

The Washington Post wrote about such policies in 2007 and The Legality, an online law journal, examines the issue in some detail.

According to online accounts, receipt checks must be voluntary and customers cannot be detained unless an employee has a specific belief that a theft may have taken place.

A spokeswoman for Walmart said the company may release a statement later on its actual receipt check policy, but meanwhile she referred The Batavian to a loss prevention expert with the National Retail Federation, based in Washington, D.C.

"Of course," a customer may refuse to produce a receipt, said Joe Larocca, but a store may also refuse service to customers, and a customer who isn't cooperative may find himself barred from the store in the future.

Every retail chain has its own policies, Larocca explained, but they're all active in aggressive loss-prevention measures.

A retail store employee can detain anybody the employee reasonably suspects of theft, Larocca said, and stores are legally protected when an actual theft is suspected.

Nationally, retail stores lose $35.3 billion to theft each year.

"The number of consumers who complain are just a handful of people," Larocca said. "By and large, customers regard the request for a receipt as reasonable. They recognize that stores must protect their merchandise. Everybody recognizes that losses in the store mean higher prices at the registers."

But online stories indicate there are times when customers challenge an employee requesting a receipt for an item purchased, such as an account in The Consumerist of a man who remained calm when confronted by Walmart employees in Virginia and eventually walked out of the store with his purchase despite never showing his receipt.

Witness accounts from Christmas Eve, however, indicate Simmons was anything but calm during the confrontation.

"Cashier Grace was working at register 2," wrote a store manager. "She asked to see a customer's receipt for a bag of merchandise they had. The woman refused to show a receipt. Then the woman began swearing loudly at Grace. The woman grabbed the bag out of Grace's hands and then punched Grace in the face causing Grace to fall to the floor."

A customer wrote, "... they were surrounded by the CSM's (customer service managers) ... they were trying to talk to her but the customer was furious and swearing and she tried to take the bag from Grace's hands so all the stuff dropped on the floor. Finally she punched her in the face and threw Grace 10 feet away."

Nearly every account describes Simmons yelling obscenities at Souzzi before allegedly hitting her.

Witnesses say Simmons was with an unidentified man who in one account tried to keep Simmons calm and in another was yelling into a mobile phone.

The accounts of store managers also indicate they believe it is Walmart's policy for customers to produce a receipt upon demand.

One manager wrote, "I was called over to register two today and asked by the customers why cashier Grace wouldn't let them leave without seeing a receipt. I told them I know that Grace had done the right thing and that we couldn't let them leave without a receipt. They started to get rude and loud and I called (another employee) over to help with the situation."

It's unclear from the statements if Souzzi was engaged in a systematic process of checking receipts, or engaged in other activities and singled out Simmons and her companion for some reason. It's also unclear why Simmons and her companion had a bag full of previously purchased merchandise while at the cash register.

The court file contains no statements by Simmons nor her companion.

State Police have said that Simmons did have a receipt for the items in the bag and is not accused of stealing anything from Walmart.

The Batavia resident is out of jail on $40,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court again Jan. 23.

Simmons is charged with two counts of assault, 2nd, one for allegedly causing serious injury and the other for allegedly injuring a person 65 or older.

As a first-time offender, Simmons is facing a possible sentence, if convicted, of two to seven years in prison.

The statute making assault on a person 65 or older a Class D felony was passed in 2008.

NOTE: On Sunday, we published a story with a witness statement saying Simmons was smiling after she was cuffed. We've heard from several other people who contradict that statement, describing Simmons conduct in widely differing accounts, from hysterical, to angrily yelling, to calm and emotionless, but nobody else reports seeing her smiling.