Wondergate- Curiouser and Curiouser, Blogosphere Loses Its Shit

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

So in 2009 the White House threw a lavish Halloween party inspried but Burton's terrible Alice in Wonderland film. Burton, Chewbacca, and Depp made an appearance. Now that it's come out, bloggers are going nuts. Drudge has seven headlines all dedicated to this story.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...od-halloween-bash-before-burton-film-release/

Book: White House Hosted 'Wonderland'-Themed Extravagant Hollywood Halloween Bash Before Burton Film Release

Published January 08, 2012

| FoxNews.com

Print
Email
Comments

The White House is pushing back against claims from a new tell-all book that staff kept an extravagant, Hollywood-created Halloween Party under wraps due to fear it would create imaging problems.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said Sunday the event, which was decorated by Tim Burton and featured Johnny Depp in his Mad Hatter role from Burton's acclaimed "Alice in Wonderland," was held for local children from the Washington D.C.-area and for hundreds of military families.
Related Video

Book Says Obamas Held Lavish ‘Alice’ Party During Recession

Johnny Depp among guests

"If we wanted this event to be a secret, we probably wouldn't have invited the press corps to cover it, release photos of it to Flickr, or post a video from it on the White House website," Schultz says. "Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in books these days."

In her new book, "The Obamas," author Jodi Kantor wrote that the White House was more than just a little concerned about the way the costume party would affect the public's perceptions.

"White House officials were so nervous about how a splashy, Hollywoodesque party would look to jobless Americans -- or their representatives in Congress, who would soon vote on health care -- that the event was not discussed publicly, and Burton and Depp's contributions went unacknowledged."

The event, so over the top that "Star Wars" creator George Lucas loaned out the original Chewbacca costume from the legendary film for an unknown participant to wear, was covered by a front event for the press in which the first couple handed out candy to trick or treaters. The president did not don a costume to that event, but first lady Michelle Obama wore a leopard-print sweater, cat ears and sparkly eye makeup.

Inside, at the invitation-only affair for children of military personnel and White House administrators, the State Dining Room served as Wonderland while Depp greeted guests from a table-top and Burton decorated the White House "in his signature creepy-comic style."

According to the book, fruit punch was served in blood vials and a magic show was held for the kids in the East Room.

The book, out Tuesday, was picked up by Fox News. While Kantor interviewed 30 administration aides for the read, she hasn't interviewed the Obamas since 2009, and that, say aides, is problematic.

"The emotions, thoughts and private moments described in the book, though often seemingly ascribed to the president and first lady, reflect little more than the author's own thoughts. These second-hand accounts are staples of every administration in modern political history and often exaggerated," said White House spokesman Eric Schultz.

But the author's narrative is revealing. She details several glimpses of the first couple's marriage, parenting and staffing issues, describing how Michelle Obama was conflicted about wanting to be part of the inner circle while also wanting to distance herself from the role of first lady.

According to the book, Michelle Obama also had an intense distrust of former Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who has since become Chicago mayor. Emanuel and senior aide Valerie Jarrett also had some nasty spats after Emanuel tried to freeze her out because he saw her as a spy for the first lady.

"Michelle and Rahm Emanuel had almost no bond; their relationship was distant and awkward from the beginning," Kantor wrote.

The book portrays Mrs. Obama wanting to influence West Wing policymaking, but Democrats friendly to the White House noted to Fox News that Kantor appeared to say the opposite during an interview with Chicago magazine.

In an interview last week, Kantor said the first lady struggled with Hillary Clinton's legacy and never wanted to be seen as the kind of wife who was overly involved in the president's duties, hence she grappled over whether to have an office in the West Wing.

Asked is she is an adviser to the president, Kantor told the magazine, "In the most private, intimate sense, not in the sense of 'I'm coming to your senior staff meeting.'"

On Sunday, Obama adviser David Axelrod, who is working on the president's reelection from the campaign's Chicago headquarters, said that the first lady is a sensational person and she will be on the election trail.

Earlier, Axelrod said Michelle Obama does make a point "when she thinks things have been mishandled or when things are off the track ... she'll raise it, because she's hugely invested in him."

But White House aides did find themselves in the middle of the Obama marriage, Kantor wrote.

“The advisers could feel hopelessly caught between husband and wife. The Obama marriage was awkward for everyone: for the aides, for the president ... and for the first lady."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/08/book-white-house-hosted-hollywood-hallowee

n-bash-before-burton-film-release/#ixzz1izR1qPX5
http://bigjournalism.com/jjmnolte/2...nstream-media-know-and-when-did-they-know-it/

Good morning, Mainstream Media. How are things under the Obama bus? Please tell Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers we say hello. You remember them. You helped Obama hide them there.

Frequently, I refer to the mainstream media as Obama’s Palace Guards. But maybe “secret service” would be a better term today, because this time the MSM has apparently decided to take a public relations bullet for Their Precious One.

The story goes a little something like this. Over Halloween in 2009, during the depths of the Great Recession, the White House threw a lavish party for children from all walks of life, including local DC kids, military families, and friends of the President’s two young daughters, Malia and Sasha. The theme was “Alice In Wonderland” and director Tim Burton, whose film based on the classic story was about to be released in theatres, attended, as did his star, Johnny Depp, who reportedly greeted guests in character and costume as the Mad Hatter.

More details:

A long table was “set with antique-looking linens, enormous stuffed animals in chairs, and tiered serving plates with treats like bone-shaped meringue cookies”, writes New York Times reporter Jodi Kantor in The Obamas, which is released on Tuesday. Fruit punch was served in blood vials at the bar, she adds.

George Lucas sent Chewbacca from Star Wars to mingle with invited guests, who included the Obamas’ two daughters Malia and Sasha and friends, the children of White House staff members and military families.

The dispute over whether or not this event occurred is over. The White House has all but admitted the party happened by only denying reports that, at the time, they attempted to hide the event from the press.

Courtesy of Politico, here is where things get murky and very interesting:

A White House official told POLITICO Sunday that a Halloween party thrown for military families in 2009 was no secret and that there was no conspiracy to cover-up the role of two well-known Hollywood figures. …

The official White House social media releases and the reporter pool dispatches from the party do not mention either Burton or Depp, but the Depp fan site JohnnyDeppNews.com reported that the actor was in attendance with Burton. And the Nashville Tennessean also reported that both Depp and Burton were at the White House for the party. Then-White House press secretary Robert Gibbs addressed the event in his briefing, but did not go into any detail.

So now we know a few things:

1. JohnnyDeppNews.com knew about the party and that Depp attended.
2. The Nashville Tennessean knew about and reported on the party.
3. The White House underplayed the attendance of Burton and Depp in their social media releases.
4. The White House pool report didn’t mention Depp and Burton.

But the most important thing we now know is that the White House is claiming they hid nothing from the media and in response the media is… saying… nothing… in… their… defense…

For instance, nowhere in that Politico report does Politico clarify what they knew and when they knew it. If Politico did know about the party, why was there no reporting? If Politico didn’t know about the party, why not report that fact?

And so we are now left to ponder the following: did the MSM know about the party at the time and choose not to cover it in order to protect Obama? Or is the White House statement about the MSM knowing about the party untrue but in order to protect Obama the MSM isn’t reporting that it’s untrue?

I have a third theory, where both are true:

It is possible that in 2009, the White House told the their MSM friends about the lavish party but, for obvious reasons, asked them not to report on it, and in order to protect Obama, the complicit MSM agreed. It is also possible that the White House, in order to protect itself, is throwing the MSM under the bus by informing the public that the MSM did, in fact, know about the party and chose not to report it. And now, in order to protect Obama, the MSM is not going to tell us what they knew and when they knew it.

Anyone sense a theme here?
http://campaign2012.washingtonexami...ttacks-media-reporting-hollywood-party/302331

Under fire for allegedly hosting a secret Halloween theme party featuring movie star Johnny Depp at the White House in 2009, President Obama's spokesman punched back, calling reports about the party "irresponsible" and denying that the White House tried to hide the event from the public.

"There are outlets that have reported this as a secret party, which is just silly -- it's irresponsible reporting to suggest that you would have a pool report and the press at an event that's secret" White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said today during the press briefing, adding that photos of Johnny Depp were available from the party. "This wasn't a publicity event, this was an event for military children," Carney also noted.

According to a book written by a New York Times columnist, the White House held an "Alice in Wonderland" theme party in 2009. "White House officials were so nervous about how a splashy, Hollywood-esque party would look to jobless Americans -- or their representatives in Congress, who would soon vote on health car," the New York Post quotes the book as recounting, "that the event was not discussed publicly and [movie director Tim] Burton's and Depp's contributions went unacknowledged."

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How much taxpayer money did the party cost? Did either Johnny Depp or Tim Burton charge fees of any kind?

George Lucas sent Chewbacca from Star Wars to mingle with invited guests
Wrong theme, you chinless asshole.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm just offended that they threw a party for one of the worst cinematic abortions I've ever seen in my life. And yes, I'm being dead serious. I find that movie physically repulsive in every way.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'm just offended that they threw a party for one of the worst cinematic abortions I've ever seen in my life. And yes, I'm being dead serious. I find that movie physically repulsive in every way.
Dude, it's not Wonderland, it's Underland. You didn't like that twist?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Dude, it's not Wonderland, it's Underland. You didn't like that twist?
Notsureifserious... That's from the original book, I believe. But that's exactly what bothered me so much - it couldn't have been more derivative. The one original thing in the entire movie was the shoehorned Lord of the Rings battle at the end (who knew the Mad Hatter kicked some ass?). Other than that it was essentially a live action remake of the Disney Cartoon. Ooooh... Plus, I'm tired of Tim Burton and his "creative visual style." His stuff just looks like self regurgitation now. I'm half expecting Edward Scissorhands to walk out in every one of his shit piles (I liked Sweeney Todd a lot, but Edward Scissorhands wouldn't have looked out of place in that movie AT ALL).

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I thought the original Disney movie was a lot more interesting. Alice in Wonderland was a road trip movie about a chick who enters this crazy world, meets crazy people, and just sort of chills with the craziness. Burton's Alice in Wonderland was "CHICK OF DESTINY" bullshit that was like a sequel where she does the exactly same thing as the first time she went down the rabbit hole. Either do something new with the original elements or don't try to make her Dorothy Fucking Gale.

I don't remember Wonderland being Underland in the original source. I'll take your word for it, but I still felt it was stupid.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I thought the original Disney movie was a lot more interesting. Alice in Wonderland was a road trip movie about a chick who enters this crazy world, meets crazy people, and just sort of chills with the craziness. Burton's Alice in Wonderland was "CHICK OF DESTINY" bullshit that was like a sequel where she does the exactly same thing as the first time she went down the rabbit hole. Either do something new with the original elements or don't try to make her Dorothy Fucking Gale.

I don't remember Wonderland being Underland in the original source. I'll take your word for it, but I still felt it was stupid.
Holy shit. I was wrong. I always thought it was in the book. I'm with you, inventing it just for this movie is stupid as all hell.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Holy shit. I was wrong. I always thought it was in the book. I'm with you, inventing it just for this movie is stupid as all hell.
Well it's Burton. He's cooler than you and smarter than Carroll. The Mad Hatter needed a love interest and tragic backstory.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Meh, Drudge routinely does this with stories. Since it is a news aggregator, if there are multiple story threads about one specific events, it'll just post multiples.

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
Whatevs dog.

I'd love to hear what the lib-defenders have to say about the "Whats Happenin?" themed Halloween party during the Clinton Admin.

Everyone knows that Hilary was the best Shirley Hemphill. Ever.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Meh, "Through the Looking Glass" is more like it. What is it with Black people and salt btw? The oldest daughter is dressed as the Morton Salt girl..I have seen refrences to salt in African American folklore....

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Burton said he hated previous Alice in Wonderland movies/cartoons.

Apparently it was too random and chaotic for him. Which is why this one was much more linear and typical in plot flow.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Fauxrage, nothin but fauxrage.

So, the White House was worried that word of Johnny Depp’s involvement would leak out and make the president look bad, but photos of the president with Chewie were OK? Over to you, Jodi, to see if there’s anything more to this revelation.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Meh, "Through the Looking Glass" is more like it. What is it with Black people and salt btw? The oldest daughter is dressed as the Morton Salt girl..I have seen refrences to salt in African American folklore....
Wow, I have never heard that one. It is a strange costume for a young girl.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
What is it with Black people and salt btw? The oldest daughter is dressed as the Morton Salt girl..I have seen refrences to salt in African American folklore....
I googled "black people salt" and all I got was someone saying that plantation owners fed their slaves a bunch of salt to keep them from getting dehydrated and a couple news stories about a misprinted recipe calling for "salt and freshly ground black people".

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
The picture bothers the shit outta me. And not just FLOTUS's stupid smile, but the way they got Barack's head to float in mid-air like that.

It is pretty interesting how they got Sasha's lips to match her fathers though. :action-sm

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Wow, I have never heard that one. It is a strange costume for a young girl.
I seem to recall it was given to newlyweds as a symbol of prosperity..since in biblical times salt was like gold or something because a slave could buy his way out with enough salt. That and it was vital to life and preserving food.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I googled "black people salt" and all I got was someone saying that plantation owners fed their slaves a bunch of salt to keep them from getting dehydrated and a couple news stories about a misprinted recipe calling for "salt and freshly ground black people".
That's silly.. salt without enough water to balance it would kill you by actually pulling the water out of your cells and shutting down your kidneys.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
And Tim Burton really needs to get over his obsession with pointing out how Victorian England was upper crusty. We know.

After reading that, fuck Tim Burton.
It took for that for you to say Fuck Tim Burton?

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
That's silly.. salt without enough water to balance it would kill you by actually pulling the water out of your cells and shutting down your kidneys.
Well it's on the internet, so it's 100% true.