Wood Slats for Garden Bench

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
I want to rehab an old garden bench with new slats.

Existing ones are 48" x 2" x 5/8". I'm assuming some kind of decent wood (oak?)

Taking into account the fact that all I can do is:

*Cut to length
*Round off sharp edges / corners (sander, no router)

There doesn't seem to be ready-sized appropriate material at the big box stores. Do those specialty wood suppliers have this kind of stuff?

Any other ideas? The current slats are not usable - holes wallowed out, splits, etc.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I want to rehab an old garden bench with new slats.

Existing ones are 48" x 2" x 5/8". I'm assuming some kind of decent wood (oak?)

Taking into account the fact that all I can do is:

*Cut to length
*Round off sharp edges / corners (sander, no router)

There doesn't seem to be ready-sized appropriate material at the big box stores. Do those specialty wood suppliers have this kind of stuff?

Any other ideas? The current slats are not usable - holes wallowed out, splits, etc.

I just did that exact job, I used red oak I got at Home Depot, I bought it close to size 1x3 and length. Ran it through the router to knock off the edges, bought all new stainless hardware, and coated it with out door poly. I also sand blasted the frames, mine had an ornamental cast iron insert in the back and painted it with the same two part flat black I bought for the bumper on my truck.
Then gave it back to my mother in law....

The entire project, not including the paint and prep, ran me about $150. ....... for a bench she bought for $50 from Walmart.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
I just did that exact job, I used red oak I got at Home Depot, I bought it close to size 1x3 and length. Ran it through the router to knock off the edges, bought all new stainless hardware, and coated it with out door poly. I also sand blasted the frames, mine had an ornamental cast iron insert in the back and painted it with the same two part flat black I bought for the bumper on my truck.
Then gave it back to my mother in law....

The entire project, not including the paint and prep, ran me about $150. ....... for a bench she bought for $50 from Walmart.
LOL, I figure I'd be breaking even even at best vs. buying a new one. But where's the fun in that, right?

Was it door trim or something like that?

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
@Shootr i just noticed you said you didn’t have a router, it’s not a vital part of the job if you don’t really plan on sitting on it that much, but if you do plan on sitting on it, you might want to invest in a cheep router and a cheep set of bits, also pick up some strapping (3/4 x 1/16”) and put it latterly in the middle to help keep the bench stable. If it’s just a garden decoration, fuck it,

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
LOL, I figure I'd be breaking even even at best vs. buying a new one. But where's the fun in that, right?

Was it door trim or something like that?

No, it’s ready to go actually board foot lumber already 4s4 (surfaced to dimension on four sides) when you go into Depot look for the section where they sell pine boards, they will have a selection of “hard woods” usually red oak and poplar, it’s sold by the board foot so you will get varying lengths that you will have to cut to length, be careful because Depot “hard woods” are stupid expensive and not always the greatest quality, make sure to check each piece carefully for straightness and checking (cracks) also make sure to carefully pre drill and counter sink the holes before finishing.
I enjoyed the project, I thought about doing it teak or cyphers and having the parts powder coated but that would have made the project 3-400$ and it wasn’t worth it.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
@Shootr i just noticed you said you didn’t have a router, it’s not a vital part of the job if you don’t really plan on sitting on it that much, but if you do plan on sitting on it, you might want to invest in a cheep router and a cheep set of bits, also pick up some strapping (3/4 x 1/16”) and put it latterly in the middle to help keep the bench stable. If it’s just a garden decoration, fuck it,
Might have to keep an eye on the Harbor Freight ads and pick up a cheapy setup. I've needed (ok, wanted) one forever anyways...

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Might have to keep an eye on the Harbor Freight ads and pick up a cheapy setup. I've needed (ok, wanted) one forever anyways...
I got my last plunge router from amazon for $40 and a set of “standard” router bits in a kit for about the same price, once you have one you will find uses for it

5skin

May 14, 2010
the woods
A real lumber yard, not a chain, will rip lumber to size for your project.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
They sell red oak stair treads that are in 1x4' lengths about $28 each.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
The one that I use for my “weird shit” will mill you anything you want even make a tool for it if you need it, they specialize in “historical” mill work. That’s where I get all the stuff I need for my fucked up old house

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
And have other species of lumber available... like for a bench like that you could do Mahogany, Ipe, Cypress... just basically anything that is suitable for outside use. Note the Mahogany and Ipe are pretty commonly used for decks (well around here) so you should be able to get them in a 1 x 3 size. And yep buy a cheap router to east the edges.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
I just found a neat trick for knocking down hard edges on your projects (actually was shown this while a very good finish carpenter was helping me reconfigure some barn stalls), using an old horsehoof rasp. The teeth are the perfect profile for just taking a tad off and rounding the corners. So if you know any horseshoers in your area, ask him for one.

For the oak check with portable sawmill owners, you'd have to let it dry down a bit before you use it as the wood will no doubt be green.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I just found a neat trick for knocking down hard edges on your projects (actually was shown this while a very good finish carpenter was helping me reconfigure some barn stalls), using an old horsehoof rasp. The teeth are the perfect profile for just taking a tad off and rounding the corners. So if you know any horseshoers in your area, ask him for one.

For the oak check with portable sawmill owners, you'd have to let it dry down a bit before you use it as the wood will no doubt be green.
In America we just call them files