OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Wool by Hugh Howey

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by Neon, May 30, 2013.

1. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

[​IMG]

This is a thread to discuss everything related to The Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. A little backstory - in 2011 Howey put up Wool on Amazon Kindle Direct Publish. It was a 50 page novella. I'm not sure exactly how this happened, but it got popular. Like really popular. Go look at this thing's Amazon page (It has over 4,300 five star reviews). So word of mouth spreads and this becomes a self-published monster (I think he later signed a publishing deal for it, but it's still only $5.99 on Amazon, and it's a 5 book omnibus, so basically a buck per book), and he follows it up with 4 more, each increasing in length (Wool 5 is 250 pages), and they are now available in one omnibus edition.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

---

A couple of quotes by authors recently discussed in the Books forum:

Movie rights are already bought by Fox and supposedly Ridley Scott is interested in making it.

----

This is just the introductory post. Discussion to follow. Please use spoilers and mark them clearly by book number or whatever. Also lets keep open info to a relative minimum. I started this pretty much cold and am having more fun for it.

#1 Neon, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

So I am currently somewhere in Wool 4 and ho-ly shit. This story is quite the rollercoaster. Funny that Cronin gave a blurb for this book because it reminds me of The Passage quite a bit in parts. Also getting some Lost vibes... I won't get into it, but maybe that'll help give you some idea of what it is like.

3. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Everything you've posted pretty much confirms my assumption that I don't really understand what's going on yet.

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

By the way, looking at the Wiki page, it looks like there are also books 6, 7, 8, and 9 is forthcoming. I think the ones past 5 are their own omnibus (the Shift omnibus).

5. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Dude, don't worry about it. I don't really understand what's going on yet either hahaha.

6. whiskeyguy

I don't know if I mentioned this yet, but the way the book started was pretty insane.

Bufferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So the world outside is really toxic, but they place an image of a healthy world in the helmet so people are excited/happy and go about "the cleaning" that way. Then they die. When the sheriff first started getting sick, I initially thought they poisoned him before he left (maybe with the gas they pump into the hatch). The world is healthy, but the gas will kill you anyway. That's why no one came back.

7. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

Wool 1 could work perfectly as like a 45 minute Twilight Zone episode with the double twist of the world being perfect, but then realizing that the helmet was the actual lie. What a gut wrenching ending. And to think this started life as a standalone story. That was the fucking end!

And also the double gut punch from the mayor dying and then 3 starting with Juliette in the airlock. I did a complete double take at that. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He's very good at doing that - he makes you look left and then hooks from the right and follows it up with a kick to the balls.

But again, so many things happen in 3 that I really need to hold my tongue until you are done with it.

whiskeyguy likes this.
  8. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

Is this the sequel to Lamb? Boo. I do plan on reading this one day.

Neon likes this.
  9. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

If any of you have a Kindle, you've seen the social highlight feature - that is, you can see passages from the book that people marked with a little number telling you how many people liked that quote. In Wool, for some reason, people highlight the schmaltziest quotes ever. I have a few great ones marked, but the ones with 200 highlights are relatively hack. People are just sheep. "Ooh, a bunch of people marked this quote so I will too." Yawn.

Here's one I highlighted. I am redacting the name for spoiler reasons but the quote itself is clean. I'll spoiler it anyway just in case someone really wants zero info, but it doesn't give anything away.

10. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

Yeah I couldn't turn that off fast enough

11. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

In some books I see people quote good stuff. For some reason this one is somewhat different.

12. whiskeyguy

I usually don't use that for this very reason. The one exception is when reading a classic like Moby Dick, because it's actually easy to miss a great line in books like that.

13. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

Ok, I started " Wool omnibus" today, I got to say book 1 did NOT end how I was sure it would.

Neon likes this.
  14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Get used to this haha.

15. ginaf20697

ginaf20697 Registered User

Shift is really good too. It's a prequel so it explains a lot. Wool should definitely be read first though.

Neon likes this.
  16. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

well, shit. end book two start of book three

right day to start, on all day job by myself.

17. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I suspected it was a prequel but didn't want to read to much. I'd rather know as little as possible.

Quite an end/beginning, isn't it? Once you are a chapter or two into 3 you can read the spoilers in posts #6 and #7 in this thread.

TomC likes this.
  18. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

starting #4 but looking at my ipod I'm only about half way maybe less

19. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

Two nitpicks, I'm at the first part of book4 for spoiler info

I understand that the people are being controlled with the restrictions on info by limited access to e-mail and maybe the silo was built without lifts of some sort (really dumb planing) but dont you think in the last 150 years someone would have hang a pulley at the top with a really long rope with marks that let them know what level a platform of some sort was at for messages and small supplies, they have "2 way radios" so when IT needed her box from the bottom level that instead of the cops running a "small cardboard box" up 100 levels some could have had the pulley dropped and the cop radioed with info to load it up? Also only children's book are left to the point where people think that pink birds and elephants are fiction but a full play of Sshakespeare's Romeo and Juliet has survived?

I know the pulley thing seems nitpicky but its stuck in my head and every time someone is running up or down with a msg it's bugging me

20. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I won't comment but both these things are addressed in some way.

Started Wool 5 last night.

Yeah, 4 and 5 take up like 60% of the entire book. 5 alone is like 40%.

TomC likes this.
  21. Kugzilla

Kugzilla Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.

hold placed at the library, and there are a hundred thirty-eight holds ahead of Me.

Neon likes this.
  22. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I think I hit my first slight snag in this story, but I'm not sure this is what he is going for so I won't fully judge yet. This book has surprised me several times already, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Don't read following spoiler until you finish Wool 4.

BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

I'm not sure I'm in love with Howey's pacifist tone. Yes, I get it, once the guns and bombs come out, shit gets pretty damn horrible, but don't pretend that "peacetime" is all that great when IT is randomly sending people out to cleaning and poisoning the fucking mayor. We all know exactly what kind of Silo Bernard had in mind with his little coup.

This is a general problem that I have with pacifism or excessive "War is hell" talk. Peace can be hell too. Just because people aren't shooting each other in the streets doesn't mean they shouldn't take up arms if necessary...

23. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

YES, 100%

around ch.20 book 5
    bunch of kids, really

24. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

Spoiler for the ending

Wow, I did not expect a happy ending. Kind of disappointed. But overall loved the book.

25. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Wow you finished the whole thing? I'm on chapter 58.