Word Police

brose

No ticky, no laundry
Dec 27, 2006
Springfield, MO
SCRANTON, Pa. - A Scranton woman who admitted shouted profanities at her overflowing toilet within earshot of a neighbor was cited for disorderly conduct, authorities said.

Dawn Herb could face up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $300.

“It doesn’t make any sense. I was in my house. It’s not like I was outside or drunk,” Herb told The Times-Tribune of Scranton. “The toilet was overflowing and leaking down into the kitchen and I was yelling (for my daughter) to get the mop.”

Herb doesn’t recall exactly what she said, but she admitted letting more than a few choice words fly near an open bathroom window Thursday night.

Her next-door neighbor, a city police officer who was off-duty at the time, asked her to keep it down, police said. When she continued, the officer called police.

Mary Catherine Roper, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union in Philadelphia, took issue with the citation.

“You can’t prosecute somebody for swearing at a cop or a toilet,” she said.
What is the world coming to?:arrrh:

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
There was a similar case in Michigan about 10-12 years back (I believe) where a man was arrested and convicted on obscenity laws for yelling "oh shit" as he fell overboard on a raft. Mainly due to the fact that there were children on other rafts and on the river bank that were within earshot of the guy.

That story sticks out in my mind from a Media Law class in college.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
There was a similar case in Michigan about 10-12 years back (I believe) where a man was arrested and convicted on obscenity laws for yelling "oh shit" as he fell overboard on a raft. Mainly due to the fact that there were children on other rafts and on the river bank that were within earshot of the guy.

That story sticks out in my mind from a Media Law class in college.
That's exactly what I was going to say. He tipped his canoe or raft or whatever, and there were women and children barely within hearing distance if I recall correctly. The law said it was illegal to curse in front of kids and chicks, so he got in some trouble. I can't remember if they repealed that law yet or not though.

GoCamels

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices...
Aug 19, 2005
Graveyard Of The Atlantic
Fuckin' pigs have nothing better to do than taser people for fun and write tickets...damn middle school hall montiors with weapons.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
UGH. Fucking awful.

Do you has link to story?

And I can't believe no one's said this yet:

Whatever she yelled was probably what caused the toilet to overflow in the first place :p

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
we are doomed

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Hahaaa my dad told me about this earlier today...He thinks I used to swim with her brother In High School!

CringeRadioWanted

I got nothin'....
Aug 23, 2003
What a douchebag....I'm so glad I moved away from that neighborhood, and out of that town completely. It's just a clusterfuck of idiots all of a sudden.

I'd love to see that dipshit cop (or anyone else) deal with an overflowing toilet without cursing at least once, if not like a fucking sailor.

that cant be the full story
That's my feeling, too. She didn't just yell "Oh, shit, the toilet's overflowing, get the mop"... In the story you see the neighbor asked her to keep it down, and she still wouldn't shut her yap, and THEN called the police. She was probably carrying on like a crazy person, screaming like a Jerry Springer guest, cursed at the police when they showed up, and that's the real troof.