Working out?

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
I need some help. I want to start working out on a regular basis and need to know what I have to do to build muscle. I am 6'1", 160lbs. I've been this same weight since I was 18. My problem is when I do workout for a couple of months nothing happens. I might get stronger but I don't put on any mass. I want to get more muscle mass without the use of roids or that protein shit in GNC. The other issue is I don't eat alot. I never eat breakfast, I might eat an apple for lunch and then a regular portioned dinner. I have had this same eating habit also since 18. I smoke but when I start this new workout I'm going to quit and I've heard that when you quit smoking you gain weight. I want to turn this new weight gain into muscle. I have a bowflex that will be my main piece of equipment other than a treadmill. I can't devote too much time to the new workout since I get up at 4:30am to work and don't get home till after 5:00pm. Then I spend two hours with the kids and two hours with the wife after the kids go to bed and before me and the wife dose off. I know there were a couple of guys that worked out on a regular basis that posted here before and would like some help. Also the muscle mass I want to build is my upper body. Chest, arms, shoulders, and abs. Help would be greatly apreciated.

Suicidebree

Two, Zero, Two Infantry
Dec 20, 2004
Jersey
Change your mind about the protien and lift heavy.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
You HAVE to eat more. You don't need to do the protein powder if you eat enough of it in your meals, but you should definitely be eating more, and lifting heavy.

And don't try to cheat genetics, some people just aren't made to be muscle bound, work on being stronger and the rest will follow.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
I need some help. I want to start working out on a regular basis and need to know what I have to do to build muscle. I am 6'1", 160lbs. I've been this same weight since I was 18. My problem is when I do workout for a couple of months nothing happens. I might get stronger but I don't put on any mass. I want to get more muscle mass without the use of roids or that protein shit in GNC. The other issue is I don't eat alot. I never eat breakfast, I might eat an apple for lunch and then a regular portioned dinner. I have had this same eating habit also since 18. I smoke but when I start this new workout I'm going to quit and I've heard that when you quit smoking you gain weight. I want to turn this new weight gain into muscle. I have a bowflex that will be my main piece of equipment other than a treadmill. I can't devote too much time to the new workout since I get up at 4:30am to work and don't get home till after 5:00pm. Then I spend two hours with the kids and two hours with the wife after the kids go to bed and before me and the wife dose off. I know there were a couple of guys that worked out on a regular basis that posted here before and would like some help. Also the muscle mass I want to build is my upper body. Chest, arms, shoulders, and abs. Help would be greatly apreciated.
you have to eat to gain weight. period. work out like an animal and then eat shit like macaroni salad with tuna... nice amount of protein and nice amount of carbs and fat. just be careful you dont' start getting fat.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Sounds like your average caloric intake a day is probably 1500 or less. If you want mass, try eating around 2200-2500 calories a day. Lean meats, tuna, salmon chicken. Snacks should consist of almonds, cashews, yogurts, protein shakes. You are going to need the food as fuel if you plan on building some size.
Food will often replace smokes for people who are kicking the habit.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Morris Plains, New Jersey
You need protein. That protein "shit" as you call it, will actually help, and its good for you as well. Eat some larger meals , with some extra carbs, and take a lot of protein. That, and work out with heavier weights than you are used to. If you need any other help, send me a PM, I have some experience with training and I work for a nutritional vitamin and supplement company.