World of Tanks

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I'm downloading it now. If it sucks I'm holding you personally responsible.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
I'm downloading it now. If it sucks I'm holding you personally responsible.
It's fucking fantastic! You start at Tier 1, all tanks have vulnerable spots, especially tracks. As you play and win battles you earn research credits to unlock better equipment for your tank. Or unlock the next Tier and move up. I'm currently in a German VK-3601H, working towards my Tiger I.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Is there a specific research direction you should take or should you develop all 3? I just unlocked the US Light with the armor piercing .50, and it's pretty nice... It's hard to adjust to being slow and methodical after playing so many FPSs like BF3 and COD.

I like the potential of the game, it feels very fucking slow starting off, though. I mean, I know it's supposed to give you something to aspire to, but 15 mph is a little faggotrocious when the map is like 50 sq miles.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Is there a specific research direction you should take or should you develop all 3? I just unlocked the US Light with the armor piercing .50, and it's pretty nice... It's hard to adjust to being slow and methodical after playing so many FPSs like BF3 and COD.

I like the potential of the game, it feels very fucking slow starting off, though. I mean, I know it's supposed to give you something to aspire to, but 15 mph is a little faggotrocious when the map is like 50 sq miles.
It's all about cover and teamwork. If you want speed, definitely upgrade your engines 1st. Once you get into the later tier battles it's all about sniping at range or targetting the enemy for your artillery to destroy. Players that forge ahead on the map are usually watching the rest of the battle from the sidelines.

Read this: http://worldoftanks.com/game/guide/en/newcomers-guide/tanks-tactics

Maybe check out the forums, there's several Newbie guides on the Do's and Don'ts.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Ok, I was on the fence, teetering on quitting, then I found the SPG. Yeah, being able to slam people with artillery from the other side of the map kicks ass.

Also, finding our Shift gave you zoom was a big game changer. :haha7:

Aug 5, 2004
I signed up.. checking it out now

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Ok, I was on the fence, teetering on quitting, then I found the SPG. Yeah, being able to slam people with artillery from the other side of the map kicks ass.

Also, finding our Shift gave you zoom was a big game changer. :haha7:
heh, I HIGHLY recommend looking at the controls...I think it's F1 in-game. You can also use the mousewheel to zoom in and out (also 3rd person to 1st person).

SPG's (artillery) are the most loved or hated on the battlefield because they can change the outcome in a single hit. Light tanks and fast medium tanks are always trying to take out the SPG's first or their team's heavy tanks will take a beating.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Unlocked my Tier 7 tank (German Pz.VI Tiger I) last night, but still need to grind out the money to buy it... it's over 1,200,000 credits and I only have 470,000. Most battles in my current tank net me about 8,000 to 15,000 credits depending on my repair cost.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I started messing around with it. I will either love this game or quit very soon. I keep having connection problems and having to reconnect. If those connection problems go away I can see me spending way too much time on this.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I started messing around with it. I will either love this game or quit very soon. I keep having connection problems and having to reconnect. If those connection problems go away I can see me spending way too much time on this.
I'm the same. Once I remember to flip it on I'm hooked for hours, but I typically forget it exists. No connection issues here, though.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
What up BH! Long time no yak.

Is this Mac friendly? I went to the site and didn't see anything at first glance, but as an avid Military historical kind of dufus, I have to find a way to get in on this.

If not...

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
What up BH! Long time no yak.

Is this Mac friendly? I went to the site and didn't see anything at first glance, but as an avid Military historical kind of dufus, I have to find a way to get in on this.

If not...

Looks like people can play it via Wine??? (I have no fucking clue about Mac's) Here's a helpful walkthrough in your native Russian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2K85jFoyW4

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
So Tank Destroyers... Worth a shit? Are they essentially heavy anti-tank weapons mounted on Volkswagens?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Ok, how do you upgrade your crews? Do you have to recruit better people or is there some way to train them? I'm in a situation where I've upgraded tanks but I suck ass because everyone I meet can aim and reload so much faster that I'm losing to tiers 1-2 below mine.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Ok, how do you upgrade your crews? Do you have to recruit better people or is there some way to train them? I'm in a situation where I've upgraded tanks but I suck ass because everyone I meet can aim and reload so much faster that I'm losing to tiers 1-2 below mine.
Crew become better as you play, right click on their picture in the Garage and select Profile, you can see how much XP they need to gain a % point. You can also boost their training for credits (to 70%) or buy gold and train them to 100%. Once they hit 100% you can advnace train them in Repairs, Camo or Firefighting.

Also, I highly suggest buying a camo net for your tank.

Tank Destroyers start as shitty and then get very powerful guns. They are best for hiding and waiting in a choke point and blast a tank before they know what happened. They are weak in suburban fights because they have fixed guns and can't rotate their turrets much. I don't have the patience for a TD and you can usually flank them to death.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Also, once patch 7.1 hits, Wargaming is giving players a free tank and a free garage slot. That code is NEWYEAR

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Also, once patch 7.1 hits, Wargaming is giving players a free tank and a free garage slot. That code is NEWYEAR
Sorry, the FREE GIFT code is now NEWYEARNA. You get a free tank. The new patch is up (7.1), they added an entire line of French tanks and did a bunch of other shit.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I'm downloading the client now. Added the New Year's code, as well as some code I found through a German gaming website. I don't even know for sure what the second code gave me, but it seemed to accept the code when I entered it.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
The German code is for a T-127 and 24 hours of Premium time (double XP and credits). The new French tanks are awful, especially the FT-15, it moves like ass, literally slower than some of the heavy tanks in the high tiers. The first code gives you the Russian Tetarch light tank, which isn't bad.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
The German code is for a T-127 and 24 hours of Premium time (double XP and credits). The new French tanks are awful, especially the FT-15, it moves like ass, literally slower than some of the heavy tanks in the high tiers. The first code gives you the Russian Tetarch light tank, which isn't bad.
Yeah, I sold the T127 for over 100k credits, and I'm taking advantage of the double XP and credits while I can get them. I'm driving a T2 Medium right now, and it always seems like I have the wrong gun equipped. If I take the 20mm, I run into something like a Tetrach, but if I take a 37mm I get overrun by light tanks and cant get enough hits on them fast enough.

Edit: I have researched and purchased all the gun upgrades, the turret upgrade, and track/suspension upgrade. I'm saving up for the engine upgrade now, then I'll get one radio upgrade.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box