World War III may have just started... in Canada.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/24/7166...erally-to-canada-threatening-war-over-garbage

Philippines' Duterte Talks Trash (Literally) To Canada, Threatening War Over Garbage

April 24, 201910:32 AM ET

BILL CHAPPELL

Twitter

[https://media]

"I want a boat prepared" to take tons of trash back to Canada, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said Tuesday. In this 2015 photo, Filipino activists wear shipping container costumes to call on Canada to remove the garbage from a port in Manila.

Aaron Favila/AP

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte wants Canada to come get tons of trash that was wrongly sent to his country — and he's threatening extreme steps if Canada doesn't clean up the situation. "We'll declare war against them," Duterte said Tuesday.

The president was referring to a large shipment of municipal trash that has sat in Manila since its arrival in 2013 and 2014. The more than 100 shipping containers had been declared to hold recyclable plastic. But when the doors were opened, customs officials found "household trash, plastic bottles and bags, newspapers, and used adult diapers," according to Filipino news outlet ABS-CBN.

"I will not allow that kind of s***," Duterte said at a news conference Tuesday, adding that Canada has attempted to provide educational grant money to the Philippines — on the condition that it also accept the garbage.

Duterte said he wants the trash gone within a week, even if he has to return it by force.

Both the garbage and the argument over its fate have been ripening for several years. In 2016, a Filipino court ruled that the garbage should return home. But since then, the case has continued to simmer.

In response to Duterte's remarks, Canada says it has already been working to resolve the trash dispute, adding that it has changed its regulations about hazardous waste shipments.

On Wednesday, Canada's Embassy in the Philippines said, "A joint technical working group, consisting of officials from both countries, is examining the full spectrum of issues related to the removal of the waste with a view to a timely resolution."

It added that Canada is committed to ensuring the waste "is processed in an environmentally responsible way."

As for Duterte's threat of starting a war over the trash, Canadian Ambassador to the Philippines John Holmes was quoted by ABS-CBN saying, "I won't comment on the specific words of the president or his tone, but I will say this: Our prime minister committed and has recommitted to resolving this issue, including taking the waste back to Canada."

As Canada's CBC reports, an environmental law firm in Canada issued a legal opinion last week accusing Canada of being "in violation of the international Basel Convention, which forbids developed nations from sending their toxic or hazardous waste to developing nations without informed consent."

Duterte addressed the trash topic at the end of a news conference about two strong earthquakes that hit the Philippines Monday and Tuesday, causing at least 16 deaths. After focusing on the latest updates in the recovery effort, the president spent several minutes discussing the garbage fight.

"I want a boat prepared," Duterte said, tapping a conference table for emphasis. "I'll give a warning to Canada, maybe next week, that they better pull that thing out — or I will set sail" and return the rubbish.

"I cannot understand why they're making us a dump site," Duterte said.

Duterte said he doesn't care what Canada does with the garbage: "Eat it if you want to."

He jokingly suggested Canadians should prepare a gala reception to mark the repatriation of the refuse, which dates from the previous Filipino administration headed by President Benigno Aquino III.

"Prepare and celebrate," Duterte said, "because your garbage is coming home."

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
@lajikal comment? Your shitty Maple syrup smelling country is about to throw down with the Philippines , is your first lady ready for the shit storm?

Or do you cuck fuckers need DJT to come bail your ball-less asses out?

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
@lajikal comment? Your shitty Maple syrup smelling country is about to throw down with the Philippines , is your first lady ready for the shit storm?

Or do you cuck fuckers need DJT to come bail your ball-less asses out?
Aren't you the Kid that "Shut the fuck up, Mojo!" is modeled after?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I say we send "advisors" to the Philippines.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Trudeau just gave the company responsible $50 million in subsidies and fired the Philippinian Ambassador.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Trudeau just gave the company responsible $50 million in subsidies and fired the Philippinian Ambassador.
Is "fired" another word for "buggered"?

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
I don't see the problem. The sheer amount of garbage Filipinos that flood into Canada by the year, is worth giving them back our garbage. Carlin said 'Garbage in. Garbage out.'. It's appropriate here too.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
I know who this applies to.

ysr50

Donator
I'm pretty sure Filipinos and Canadians are communists. Doesn't canada have a reasonable military that might stop the ships if push came to shove?

Amazed it ended up there... last I heard Toronto was sending their garbage to the US. As apparently there isn't room in Canada to set up a new land fill or doG forbid an ebil incinerator.... my parents have 3 bins to toss shit into (wet/recycle/garbage). Of course the evil actual garbage bin they pay a fee for... I guess their property taxes must be used for other things.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Amazed it ended up there... last I heard Toronto was sending their garbage to the US. As apparently there isn't room in Canada to set up a new land fill or doG forbid an ebil incinerator.... my parents have 3 bins to toss shit into (wet/recycle/garbage). Of course the evil actual garbage bin they pay a fee for... I guess their property taxes must be used for other things.
No room?

Bobobie

It's cheaper to send Toronto's trash to Michigan Landfills. Legally, we can't say no because of NAFTA. They take advantage of the better rates per ton charged in the US. It has nothing to do with room.

Pickle

It's cheaper to send Toronto's trash to Michigan Landfills. Legally, we can't say no because of NAFTA. They take advantage of the better rates per ton charged in the US. It has nothing to do with room.
With the differences between government energy regulation, does the US make better use of trash via incinerator-generated energy than Canada?

I wonder if this was a topic (albeit minor) when negotiating the end to NAFTA and moving to the USMCA. Technically we’re still living with NAFTA until the signed USMCA gets ratified.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I hope the flange heads invade, they have nothing to lose. I just saw some youtube video that Malaysia is pissed at Australia for the same thing. Maybe this is the beginning of the slant eyed axis.

There's room... just no one wanted to live beside an incinerator or land fill. For a while they were dumping it in a disused mine, then like I said the state, then St. Thomas Ontario. Now all handled by private contractors to lower costs so who knows where that shit goes.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I mean, if I had to pick a smell for a country, maple syrup wouldn't be a bad choice...
For the first month or so, I'd agree. Living with that cloying stench your entire life? Ugh.

Then again, I suppose it could smell like Staten Island. (Thus then the garbage barge, I guess.)

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
I'm pretty sure Filipinos and Canadians are communists. Doesn't canada have a reasonable military that might stop the ships if push came to shove?
3 Mounties in a canoe, so I doubt they could stop a ship.