WoW On The IPhone?

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
It's just video and still images. What's so great about that? my mp3 player can do that. I see nothing but screen caps.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
is the iphones touchscreen that fucking shitty or was the poor little thing crashing because of the video game?

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
is the iphones touchscreen that fucking shitty or was the poor little thing crashing because of the video game?
It's that shitty, and he wasn't playing a game. He was going through screen caps.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
I dont think he was playing, there was no fucking movement

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
getting sick of all these sad bastards and their fucking iphones.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
Even if it was chatting in real time, that's about all he could do. You can't effectivly play the game on that thing, and the program itself would waste a majority of the 8 gigs of memory just to load it with all the patches.

So all you could really do is sit there and chat on the different chat channels. I didn't see the guy move an inch inside the game.

nerd

Nov 12, 2004
He was using a program that sends video from your computer to your iPhone

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
welp, anyway, in case you didn't see this in another thread I posted in heres a linux based open source phone which will use a true 3d rendering chip along with a host of other cool shiite that could potentially one-up the iPhone

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
MV you must have got a bad one. Mine works like a charm.
You've got an iPhone? Congratulations! You just spent $500-$600 on a phone that doesn't do anything my 3-year old Treo 650 doesn't do, but can't do some of the things my Treo could!

Sucker. Why don't you just sign over your mortgage to Steve Jobs and get it over with?

Apple's more of an evil empire than Microsoft ever has been. They're just not as good at it.

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
It has to be fake, because I didn't see "You have been kicked from (Guild Name)", as you should be if you are playing WoW on your iPhone

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I don't really wanna bash the iPhone. Apple makes some nice products so I'm sure the iPhone is very nice.

But it's a rediculous price, the cell plans sounded shitty and I already have an iPod. I don't need the latest, greatest thing.

But the point of this thread remains the same. That guy wasn't playing WoW live off his iPhone.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
I don't really wanna bash the iPhone. Apple makes some nice products so I'm sure the iPhone is very nice.

But it's a rediculous price, the cell plans sounded shitty and I already have an iPod. I don't need the latest, greatest thing.
I can understand the price of the iPhone being what it is. They have to cover the R&D costs, commponents etc...but to then basically hold a gun to your head and force you into a 2 year calling plan agreement with the company of THEIR choice is insulting.

Hopefully the hacker community will be able to unlock the thing and allow people who paid for it to actually do what they want with it.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Hopefully the hacker community will be able to unlock the thing and allow people who paid for it to actually do what they want with it.
Yeah. Like make it do everything that a Treo does.

Except they won't, of course. Shit, Palm gives away its software development suite on their website so anyone who wants to (and who has the brains for it) can write programs for the bloody things.

Outside of using it as, you know, a phone, the apps I use most on my Treo are:
1.) Checkbook registry, which synchronizes with Microsoft Money, so I know exactly how much is in my checking and savings accounts.
2.) Mobipocket, a book reader that lets me put thousands of books on a memory card the size of my fingernail.
3.) TomTom Navigator, which Bluetooth connects to a matchbook sized GPS receiver and gives me directions to the Philadelphia Barnes and Noble on Walnut Street where Jimmy Norton will be signing copies of his book from 6pm on July 11th.
:action-sm

I

iamthelizardkng

this certainly is real. pretty cool, yet entirely counter productive. this demo is more of a 'proof of concept' than anything. with telekinesis you can basically set up a VPN to your home computer... which means (with an iPhone) being able to stream all the media, video and music you have at home, straight to your iphone wherever you are, providing you have a few bars of service.

it does go over at&t crappy EDGE shit, but its still pretty tight.

don't think a 3-year old treo can do that :action-sm

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
this certainly is real. pretty cool, yet entirely counter productive. this demo is more of a 'proof of concept' than anything. with telekinesis you can basically set up a VPN to your home computer... which means (with an iPhone) being able to stream all the media, video and music you have at home, straight to your iphone wherever you are, providing you have a few bars of service.

it does go over at&t crappy EDGE shit, but its still pretty tight.

don't think a 3-year old treo can do that :action-sm
Maybe not, but I'll bet you a newer Treo can. And it wouldn't be all that challenging to write or find a program that'll let you do it.

And you get to use the EVDO network to make it happen.
:action-sm

That's the difference between a Treo and an iPhone. Palm/Treo actually FILLS the unspoken promise that Apple claims, but doesn't deliver: Apple is more of a fucking Nazi than Microsoft ever has been. You get what they want to give you, and if you want your stuff to do something else or more, too fucking bad. To get an iPhone to do anything that Apple hasn't pre-installed for you, you're probably going to void your warranty and possibly end up with a $600 paperweight.

I've already played Warcraft (the old RTS game) on my 3 year old Treo. Making a widget to let you play WoW (if, of course, you're a total no-lifer) on your Treo isn't all that great a challenge.

agentjmw

Clayton Townly Businessman
Jul 13, 2005
You've got an iPhone? Congratulations! You just spent $500-$600 on a phone that doesn't do anything my 3-year old Treo 650 doesn't do, but can't do some of the things my Treo could!

Sucker. Why don't you just sign over your mortgage to Steve Jobs and get it over with?

Apple's more of an evil empire than Microsoft ever has been. They're just not as good at it.
Sounds like someone has Iphone envy. If Steve Jobs had a mortgage company I would sign up, oh wait I dont have a mortgage, my house is paid for. Im not a sucker kid, Id pay $600 to watch a monkey fuck a football, so $600 for a phone I can swing...

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Sounds like someone has Iphone envy. If Steve Jobs had a mortgage company I would sign up, oh wait I dont have a mortgage, my house is paid for. Im not a sucker kid, Id pay $600 to watch a monkey fuck a football, so $600 for a phone I can swing...
I am bothered that marketing, Steve Jobs' true forte, is the key in making Apple the #1 mp3 player manufacturer.

I don't doubt for a minute that the iPhone will outsell all the smartphones (note: I didn't say all the *other* smartphones: the iPhone isn't a smartphone) on the market right now. Why? Because he's marketed Apple to the point where, yes, sheep like you will even get your mortgages from the guy when you KNOW he's going to charge you extra points AND a higher rate and give you the same mortgage anyone else would provide you, just at a higher cost.

Apple products don't do anything that their competitors don't. They often don't do a lot of the things their competitors ARE able to do. The thing that sets Apple products apart are the price and the marketing. No more, no less.

Apple's brilliant late 90s product, the Airport, sold for twice what comparable wireless routers sold at, and didn't do anything those cheaper routers didn't do. Apple sheep bought it.