Writers' Strike Over

Darth Mode

You went over my helmet?!
Nov 16, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
http://www.cnbc.com/id/23057002

A deal has been struck between the major media companies and the Writers Guild of America to end the writers' strike, former Walt Disney chief executive Michael Eisner revealed on CNBC.

"It's over," Eisner said. "They made the deal, they shook hands on the deal. It's going on Saturday to the writers in general."

Eisner, speaking live on CNBC's "Fast Money," seemed to hesitate initially about whether it was possible that the writers could still reject the agreement, but finally suggested the deal's acceptance was inevitable.

"A deal has been made, and they'll be back to work very soon," Eisner said, adding, "I know a deal's been made. I know it's over."

Eisner did not elaborate on terms of the agreement. He said he expects most of the media companies affected by the strike to have "small" write-downs as a result of the deal. Eisner said the deal was struck last Friday.

As a result of studio cutbacks, however, many of the writers who went on strike are unlikely to return to the same big-money contracts they'd had as individuals with the studios, Eisner said.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
What does this mean for LOST....that's all I care about.

Eisner did not elaborate on terms of the agreement. He said he expects most of the media companies affected by the strike to have "small" write-downs as a result of the deal. Eisner said the deal was struck last Friday.
Hmmm. The writers struck for munfs and munfs, and after all that lost work the media companies will have "small" write-downs as a result. I thought that the writers were overpaid to begin with!?

Don't be surprised when this "deal" gets shot down by the writers for being a piece of shit and then the studio people blaming it on the writers. Standard tactic... "Ohhh, we were being VERY reasonable with the writers, as we had been all along, and it's THEIR fault that they're greedy and the strike continues!"

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm happy that the strike is over. Would I be labeled crazy to ask, is there something weird about the strike coming to an end 3 days after the Califorina primary? Edit: Okay maybe I have too much free time on my hands.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'm happy that the strike is over. Would I be labeled crazy to ask, is there something weird about the strike coming to an end 3 days after the Califorina primary?
Obama only cares about black people!

They did it to bring the country back together after the Louisiana shooting, the tornado and to honor the NEW YORK GIANTS FOR HAVING THE KICKASSINGEST SUPER BOWL EVER!!!!!!!!!!! W0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000T!

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
And Hollywood breathes a sigh of relief, knowing that their self congratulatory ass kissing marathon better known as the Oscars will now go off without a hitch. Personally thats what I think really got this moving in the past few weeks, regardless of all of the deals with the smaller studios are the DGA agreement.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
THE STRIKE IS NOT OVER

Eisner has been out of Disney for four years.

He is not negotiating

The WGA hasn't presented its members with the details. Which they were supposed to do today. The meetings are tomorrow. The WGA needs 10000 members to vote in the new contract to ratify it. The WGA board who called the strike, can call off the strike temporarily, which will most likely save the academy awards and get people back to work at least temporarily, but until it's agreed upon, it is not over.

Here's a timeline of what went on today from deadline hollywood

Noon: So when is the WGA membership going to see the actual deal that the leadership is bringing the union? I'm told by an insider that "it has to be completed first and it is not as of now". Time is growing short before Saturday's meetings...

2:15 PM: I'm told the WGA leadership spent from 10 AM to 2:15 PM today briefing strike captains point by point about the deal. I'm told among the bad news is that the negotiated writer-mogul terms still call for that 17-day window for ad-embedded TV show streaming. But one prominent strike captain describes the good news to me like this: "This is a decent deal if the distributors gross turns out to be a real number. There are some protections in there, and some good points, that I didn't expect them to be able to negotiate. On Saturday, I'll be speaking in favor of the deal. Writers need to let go of some dreams. It's not a resounding and humiliating defeat of the companies. But it also doesn't let the networks and studios treat the Internet like the Wild Wild West."

3:30 PM: Immediately after meeting with the strike captains, Dave Young and other WGA negotiators went back to continue working on a draft of the deal language. Said one WGA strike captain, "We were told that the other side's lawyers just keep chipping away and making changes in order to gain a few crumbs more favorable. This is a dangerous game they're playing. It's Russian roulette."

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
It may not be officially over but it might as well be, at least according to tvguide.com and other outlets. They already have tentative schedules up already.

Looks like there are a bunch of overeager gooses out there.

Steam

May 18, 2003
24 is basically fucked at this point anyway, so all I really care about is "The Office".

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
I smell a bit

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It is close, but still not done. This explains what's going on now pretty well. The reason that there are tentative schedules being set up by production companies is that they need to make sure all the actors are back to film the episodes. I've heard about start dates for many shows, but none of this will happen if the strike isn't over.

7:08 PM: United Hollywood, the officially unofficial communications blog of the WGA, confirms my info on what is going down between the guilds and the mogul lawyers in drafting the deal language:

The Strike Captains met at the WGA Theater today and we were allowed to look at the NOT FINISHED Terms Of Agreement. The reason that the Guild has not published them to everyone in the membership is because they ARE NOT FINISHED. In fact, still today the negotiating team has to fight the AMPTP lawyers on drafting legal language that the lawyers keep backsliding on – which sounds like, “Nope, my boss never agreed to that.” Then our leadership shows them their notes from the meeting. They say, “Well, here are our notes,” which contradict – so the leadership has to call up Chernin and Iger – who then have to call their lawyers and tell them to back-off. Then, the music stops and they scramble for chairs.

If the AMPTP lawyers don’t hammer out the legal language tonight in a fair way that was agreed upon by all parties, and get it signed by their CEO bosses by midnight tonight (the agreed upon deadline) then it only hurts the AMPTP and the entire town, because there is no way the leadership will show it to us until it’s finalized. They know too well how slippery these folks are – once you tell your membership this is what it will be – well then the lawyers have no incentive to improve on the legal language.

So, that is why you haven’t seen the terms and deal points yet. However, as soon as the ink is dry – they will be emailed to you both in summary and in longform immediately by your guild (East and West). Hopefully, that will be tonight, or early tomorrow morning. This way they can be studied and discussed before the general assemblies (East and West) tomorrow.
The WGA East meets at 2pm eastern time, that's 11am out here, will this be done by then? It really has to be, but who knows what games the AMPTP will keep trying to play. We do have until 7pm tomorrow night west coast time for the WGA West meeting.

Also remember TV Guide and other news outlets are the same ones telling us how great the talks were starting again the week after Thanksgiving, and were blaming the WGA for backing out after December 7th, when it finally came out it was the AMPTP who walked out. The studios have hundreds of publicists sitting around with nothing better to do than to tell everyone it's over.

This strike has gone on this long because the studios want to cut production deals they signed with companies that didn't deliver. They've cut over 80, it would of been a lot more if powerful agents and lawyers didn't back up their clients.

It's a game for the studios to tell everyone it's over when it isn't. Get everyone to believe it, then make the writers look back when it doesn't end.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Tick, tock, tick, tock...

10:40 PM: An insider just told me, "They're going to work til it's done. My best guess is they'll have something at midnight. The WGA side yells at [Peter] Chernin, and then Chernin yells at Nick [Counter] and Carol [Lombardini, AMPTP's executive vice president for business and legal affairs] who is really the brains behind the AMPTP operation. But the AMPTP had this stuff on Tuesday and didn't come back with comments until 5 PM today. It's a cluster fuck. But no draft, no meetings Saturday."

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Take it for what its worth, but tvguide.com is posting that a tentative deal has been reached between the writers and the studios :

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-e...-Strike-Watch/Wga-Reaches-Tentative/800032827
A tentative deal between the studios and the board of the WGA East and West, now they need 10,000 WGA members to vote for it.

Tonight might be pretty messy out here.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but who knows most writers are crazy.

And some of these "budgets" in it for online programing to be covered, HA. They are so out of whack. I don't see anyone paying this kind of money for online programming anywhere.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
i could care less, i have years worth of series to watch for the first time off of netflix.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Writers Signal Support for Studio Offer
By LYNN ELBER,Associated Press
Posted: 2008-02-10 02:58:44
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Hollywood writers on Saturday gave resounding support to a tentative agreement with studios that could end a strike that has crippled the entertainment industry. However, it appeared the approval process might briefly delay their return to work.

About 3,500 writers packed the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles to hear from union leaders about the proposed deal that was finalized just hours before meetings were held on both coasts by the Writers Guild of America.

A person familiar with the guild's plan, who requested anonymity because of a media blackout, said the WGA board would meet Sunday and decide on whether to authorize a quick, two-day vote of its members to determine if a strike order should be lifted.

Giving writers a 48-hour window to vote on lifting the strike order would help alleviate concerns that the agreement was being pushed too rapidly by the guild's board.

If guild members support lifting the strike order, they could return to work as early as Wednesday.

"The feeling in the room was really positive," said screenwriter Mike Galvin, adding that no one at the Los Angeles gathering said the deal "was crummy."

Compensation for projects delivered via digital media was the central issue in the 3-month-old walkout, which idled thousands of workers, disrupted the TV season and moviemaking and took the shine off Hollywood's awards season.

"I believe it is a good deal. I am going to be recommending this deal to our membership," Michael Winship, president of the Writers Guild of America, East, told reporters before the New York meeting at a Times Square hotel.

Winship said afterward that he was encouraged by the membership's response.

"We had a very lively discussion. I'm happy with what happened. ... At the moment, I feel strongly it (the proposed deal) has a strong chance of going through," he said.

Writers leaving the two-hour-plus New York meeting characterized the reaction as generally positive and said there was cautious optimism that the end of the strike - the guild's first in 20 years - could be near.

Carmen Culver, a film and TV writer, lauded the guild "for hanging tough."

"It's a great day for the labor movement. We have suffered a lot of privation in order to achieve what we've achieved," Culver said.

Michael Moore, the Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker ("Bowling for Columbine") and a nominee this year for his health-care film "Sicko," attended the New York meeting.

"It's a historic moment for labor in this country," Moore told The Associated Press.

Winship cautioned that it was not a "done deal" until the contract is ratified by members who need to be polled by mail in a process that usually takes two weeks.

An outline of the three-year deal was reached in recent talks between media executives and the guild, with lawyers then drafting the contract language that was concluded Friday.

According to the guild's summary, the deal provides union jurisdiction over projects created for the Internet based on certain guidelines, sets compensation for streamed, ad-supported programs and increases residuals for downloaded movies and TV programs.

The writers deal is similar to one reached last month by the Directors Guild of America, including a provision that compensation for ad-supported streaming doesn't kick in until after a window of between 17 to 24 days deemed "promotional" by the studios.

Writers would get a maximum $1,200 flat fee for streamed programs in the deal's first two years and then get a percentage of a distributor's gross in year three - the last point an improvement on the directors deal, which remains at the flat payment rate.

"Much has been achieved, and while this agreement is neither perfect nor perhaps all that we deserve for the countless hours of hard work and sacrifice, our strike has been a success," guild leaders Winship and Patric Verrone, head of the Writers Guild of America, West, said in an e-mailed message to members.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Great, it's over just in time for SAG to strike.

I wonder if SAG strikes if that might affect Lil' Jimmy and other comedians...

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
It's Official!

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

SUNDAY 12:30 PM: At the WGA's news conference today, union leaders declared the new contract is "a huge victory for us". Trumpeted WGAW President Patric Verrone, "This is the first time we actually got a better deal in a new media than previously." Verrone credited News Corp. No. 2 Peter Chernin and Disney chief Bob Iger, and also CBS boss Les Moonves, with "being instrumental in making this deal happen" after the WGA spent 3 months "getting nowhere" with the AMPTP negotiators and lawyers. WGA negotiating committee chief John Bowman added that, "What happened to the Golden Globes was instrumental in getting the CEOs to this table. It was a huge symbol."

Verrone said it was "heartbreaking for me personally" to drop the WGA's demands relating to reality and animation (Verrone is an animation writer) "But it was more important that we make a deal that benefitted the membership and the town as a whole and got people back to work." Verrone stated that "The legacy of the '88 strike was the ability of the companies to develop content without writers and creators. The legacy of this strike will be the ability of writers and creators to develop content without the companies. We are making deals, and we will continue to make deals, with Google, Yahoo, and others beyond just the 7 conglomerates."

The leaders confirmed that WGA members would have 48 hours to call off the strike and 10 days to accept the newly negotiated contract.

But Verrone said TV showrunners (who have producing duties in addition to writing duties on TV series) would be allowed to go back to work Monday before the 48-hour notice vote by members is conducted. This no doubt solves the dilemma that the moguls made the deal negotiated with the WGA contingent on having the writers go back to work immediately.

The Writers Guild East Council and Writers Guild West Board voted to approve the contract and sent it to membership for a ratification vote, which will be conducted via mail ballot and at special meetings conducted on a date to be determined. In addition, the Council and Board also voted to lift the restraining order (strike) upon the majority vote of the membership, casting ballots in a vote to be conducted Tuesday, February 12th.

Variety reports that industry sources say the WGA contract reached with the majors "includes a provision that will allow scribes who were force majeuered from ongoing series to return to their old jobs. The contract does not address those who were force majeured from overall deals and other contracts if they were not working on a series that will resume production.

" I can also report that the Screen Actors Guild, whose contract expires in June, has not set a date yet when it will start negotiating with the moguls.