OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

WSJ: At Stand-Up Comedy School, Students Clean Up Their Acts

Discussion in 'Classic Opie & Anthony General Discussion' started by SOS, Aug 25, 2012.

1. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

WSJ

video

2. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

3. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

Fuck this guy. He's stifling creativity.

4. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Paging Mr. Watley, I think we have a love connection.

5. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Jesus fucking Christ, that's one long ass article. Here's a motherfucking synopsis: Some cunts think that saying fuck and shit is a bad thing. The fucks wrote a shitty opinon piece about it. Raaaaaaaape, nigga'.

6. oldmandick

oldmandick My Button is Bigger Than Your Button!
    Donator

You left out the best part ...

Enlarge Image
    Close

7. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

It's actually a good teaching tool. Teach people to be funny out of their comfort zone, it makes them better comedians.

8. transit grinder

transit grinder Baglin' with the Sex

"Making a Starfish of a Stab Wound"

Wat

9. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I don't think it's possible to teach someone to be funny. But even if it was, the teacher would have to at least be funny first. Does the shitdick in this article strike you as funny?

10. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

You can teach people to perform. Performing comedy and being funny aren't necessarily the same thing in all cases.

11. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

How does the requirement that they WRITE clean jokes teach someone to perform? If the object is to teach them to perform, what difference does it make what the jokes they're telling are?

Are clean jokes and dirty jokes performed differently?

12. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

Cunt.

/joke ;)

A theme for the story is that comedians can get a wider appeal and therefore much more money if they are able to perform clean material and not go blue as a crutch. Some people tune out immediately after certain words/concepts are used which is important for performing at colleges, tv and corporate events.

13. Bunkum

Bunkum Tripe

"As the audience left, Teresa Sales, an immigrant from Serbia, offered a review. 'I liked the limbo girls,' she said. 'If they had a fire-eater it would have been cool.'"

This was the worst part.

People that willingly go to "workshops" for anything not involving shelving or decorative chicken coop building are almost always fantastically uninteresting and dull.

On the other hand, gentlemen that go to workshops to learn decorative chicken coop building are always lively and interesting and ruggedly handsome. They also know how to wisely spend an afternoon on a rainy Tuesday.

In fact, some would say that's the source of their disarming sexual charisma.

14. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

You can't teach funny but at the same time you don't have to be dirty or curse to be funny.

15. God Loves Fags

God Loves Fags A clear and dusty day in June

Speaking somewhat from experience... when I started doing stand up, at the shittiest open mics in the city, the shittiest comics I met there were shocked, SHOCKED that I didn't do any workshops or classes before trying a mic. Then you quickly stop associating with those people and find the people who are good comedians and would never have anything to do with a comedy class--the only legit comedy class is just bullshitting with all the amateur comedians you meet, since no one likes talking from a place of quasi-authority more than a comedian, especially about the subject of doing comedy. Once you do comedy for at least a few months and learn how to put bits together and know what energy to have on stage, and can get some decent laughs, the idea of going to a comedy class is completely absurd.

I think the only real point of all classroom activity is to find a community of similar people, and that might be one of the attractions of a comedy class...except for the fact that if you do open mics every night, after a while you'll make friends who are totally committed to the same thing you're into, and you don't have to pay for it or listen to some 'comedy teacher' say unfunny bullshit all the time.

I don't think you can teach people how to perform...you have to learn that yourself, and the less people involved in it, the better. I remember being totally, insanely nervous before the first time I did stand up, but I kept that energy intact, and figured out how to develop my own voice on stage (to some extent). You have to use that uncertainty and nervousness to create your own delivery--you wouldn't want someone to tell you how to make sense of your own idea of what comedy is, because comedy can literally be anything you want it to be, more than any other art form. I think comedy 'teachers' who take money from aspiring comedians should be fucking shot.

16. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Most comedy classes are crap, but it is a trade that can be learned if someone has at least some talent.

And practicing things you're not used to is absolutely useful in any performing art.

Just yelling fuck and racial slurs isn't funny.

17. LiddyRules

The only thing I can argue is that teaching people to write clean might inspire them to think outside of the box (I hate that term) and try to experiment with different avenues. It's not a rule, but being forced to try different things can be useful as both a writer and performer. I'm not saying that I agree with "clean is keen!," but as an exercise I can accept it.

18. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

Nah I think Ants hilarious.

19. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

You can't teach people to be funny in a classroom, much like you can't teach housewives to be good in the sack by having them go to some "stripper pole" class in a strip mall next to a yogurt shop.

20. Bunkum

Bunkum Tripe

Woah woah let's not get ahead of ourselves. This thread is about shitty stand-up comedy. There's no need to slander the elegant world of shopping plaza Strip Aerobics studios.

Until you've spent a half hour gazing into those beautifully-lit temples of worship while finishing off a Chicken Baja Chalupa and Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes(no sour cream) and waiting on your grandmother to finish chatting with the druggist about acid reflux medication, you don't know what living life to the fullest actually means.

21. Taint Stench

Taint Stench #shredding

What school teaches liberal comedy? Because that's some of the best stuff out there. That frumpy lesbian should totally be selling out MSG and not that coffee shop.

22. Hack Hawk Down

There's already a thread about Joe Derosa.

23. LiddyRules

I don't get how not using the word fuck or not using penis jokes is "liberal."

24. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

That article is enraging and was obviously written by someone who knows nothing about comedy. I have no problems with comedians and bookers who choose to go the clean route, but I have a huge problem with unfunny fucks that teach comedy classes (who are usually untalented failures and nonentities in the business) making broad edicts about their "pupils'" acts. If you're going to teach comedy, teach people how to write and perform; DON'T tell them what material to do.

This shit makes me miss Patrice even more.

25. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I tracked down Doug Stanhope's blog post about the scam of comedy classes. It's long, but it's a great read and definitely worth the time.

http://www.dougstanhope.com/journal/2010/7/12/comedy-death-camp.html