WWE fires senior VP of "creative"

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
WWE has removed Eric Pankowski as the senior vice president of creative and development
WWE announced the hiring of Pankowski back on February 1, 2012.

I honestly thought the "writing" was decent this year. What I disliked was the "booking" & that is on Vince

I thought they had less hokey shit during his tenure & about 60% of the Kane/DB humor was pretty good

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Early rumors is he hated the politics and did not play well under Vince
They hired him to change things & when he tried Vince stopped him
No telling if his ideas were good or not, but he was a "hollywood" guy & not a "wrestling" guy.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
he was a "hollywood" guy & not a "wrestling" guy.
If that's the case, I think they'd be better off without him. Unless they replace him with another, less skilled, Hollywood guy. Which they probably will. Steph is obsessed with non wrestling writers.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
If that's the case, I think they'd be better off without him. Unless they replace him with another, less skilled, Hollywood guy. Which they probably will. Steph is obsessed with non wrestling writers.
I tend to agree
Its just Vince has a decade plus history of hiring these guys & very few stay bec he suffocates them
Remember a few months ago, Vince said things must change or heads will roll? This guy took the fall obviously
But like I said, the last year of "writing" I felt was very solid. It was the bad "booking" & added hour of Raw that hurt

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Nobody was going to do great stuff with 3 Hour RAW and booking/road agents/Vince insisting on heels losing 80 percent of their matches clean.

He did about as well as he or almost anybody else could have, or would have been permitted to do. He was Vinny Mac's and Kevin Dunn's and Steph's escapegoat.

IT WAS MUHHDAH.

How would you like it if as soon as Monday Night RAW ended you'd have to have Smackdown ready to go, and he'd want extensive re-writes of it before it shot Tuesday and then you'd think you'd have what you wanted for RAW on Thursday or Friday until Sunday night/monday morning 2 a.m. ITS ALL SHIT WE NEED REWRITES and you're re-writing a live RAW hours before it happens. Every single week for a year plus whatever egomaniacal behavior happens before and during a PPV. There are numerous corraborated reports of rewriting during day of Mania or how they don't know who will win the Rumble until night-of.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
They should just let HHH book things and see what happens. Vince should get rid of the sitcom writers and then step aside himself. He's fixated with certain themes and they've gotten old (muscle-heads like Ryback who can't wrestle getting huge pushes, fat guys dancing, John Cena being Superman, etc.). Maybe keep 1 Hollywood writer just to help smooth out the edges of a storyline and keep angles consistent and somewhat logical and Vince can worry about being a figurehead creatively and approving contracts and guests.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Vince should step aside himself.
That is the key to me
The past year had pretty good "writing" - meaning verbiage & storylines. Nothing was too crazy or stupid (like a few years prior)
It is who Vince decides to push and how

I cannot image how frustrating it is to push for guys like Ziggler, Barrett, Cesaro, Kofi, etc & then start the big push & then have it killed
The writers are there to try & tell cohesive stories, but it is still Vince who has the say on who gets booked higher & better

The TV show THE MAIN EVENT Vince hardly paid any attention too, until it started getting good ratings, then he got involved & the show is not as good anymore
The pattern of burying your secondary champs & tag teams is a Vince tradition, I cannot imagine HHH approving of that (since he is a big supporter of Barrett & Cesaraio)

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Kind of like in 2009-2010 when RAW was getting all the focus for the guest host shit, Smackdown was good and getting good ratings. Then it got interfered with and SuperShow happened and now it is shit.

The less involved Vince McMahon is with WWE projects, the better they are. Very similar to the George Lucas Effect where the further away something is from George and the less of a shit he gives, the better it is.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
It what seems like a bad sign:
Alvarez said the guy fired came up with all The Shield vignettes that were so great

Also

One person who used to work in creative noted that the turnover rate for writers who are fast-tracked to the top is high. There is a great deal of pressure involved and most of them can't handle the stress, and then when Vince sees them start to crack "he doesn't let up." It hasn't helped that Vince has done a tremendous amount of second-guessing of angles and storylines of late
"He's very argumentative and contrary right now," one WWE source said of Vince. "He's constantly second guessing people's stuff as well as his own." This person said he didn't know what triggered it, but Vince goes through these spells every now and again. "The Rumble number might've been a mere coincidence. No one knows, all they know is he's a massive pain in the ass to work with right now. People are working a very demanding schedule at the office right now. He's demanding constant changes and Steph is fanning the flames requesting the guys come up with more and more and more options for Vince when that's the last thing an indecisive egomaniac needs."

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
The last two weeks of RAW leading to Mania have sucked outside of a few things
Obviously this guy was not to blame
Usual weeks before Mania are great TV

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I'll live chat and be in message boards for RAW and people will complain about "dead crowds."

Well...

HELLO.

This company has no undercard. No Cruiserweights. No European or Hardcore Belt. Divas division is as
bad as its been from a talent and booking standpoint in years. Tag Team "Division" flat out stinks.

So because of that...

The first 90 minutes of a 3+ hour RAW is usually a dud. The first hour of these 3 Hour RAWs is so exposing to how this
company has NO UNDERCARD. That lack of an undercard hurts them all night long because the first hour is shit.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Well, that Yinzer crowd was pretty shitty to start with.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'll live chat and be in message boards for RAW and people will complain about "dead crowds."

Well...

HELLO.

This company has no undercard. No Cruiserweights. No European or Hardcore Belt. Divas division is as
bad as its been from a talent and booking standpoint in years. Tag Team "Division" flat out stinks.

So because of that...

The first 90 minutes of a 3+ hour RAW is usually a dud. The first hour of these 3 Hour RAWs is so exposing to how this
company has NO UNDERCARD. That lack of an undercard hurts them all night long because the first hour is shit.
Remeber the good old days where Raw would start, fireworks would go off, and then you'd hear that glass shatter and you knew stone cold was about to crush a promo. That excitement hasn't been there in a while.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
& the guy that replace him left (seems like a mutual decision) because he did not understand "the wrestling biz"
Gee, hire a guy with no wrestling background & knowledge & then be surprised it did not work
Over a decade of making the same fucking mistakes

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
& the guy that replace him left (seems like a mutual decision) because he did not understand "the wrestling biz"
Gee, hire a guy with no wrestling background & knowledge & then be surprised it did not work
Over a decade of making the same fucking mistakes
Today's WWE might as well be a ship without a captain.