OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

WWE says there are 12 million hardcore WWE fans - no joking

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by UCJOE, Oct 25, 2012.

1. UCJOE

UCJOE I have a lot of business with the Chinese

http://rbr.com/wwe-sees-room-for-247-wrestling-channel/
    Are people getting enough pro wrestling on television these days? World Wrestling Entertainment doesn’t think so, and at the very least entertains dreams of launching its own channel.
    According to an SNL Kagan report, WWE has done its homework, and thinks it has the potential to be of interest to fully half of America’s TV households. That is about 57 million homes for those of you keeping score at home.
    WWE says that about 20% of that group, 12 million or so, are hard core fans who know the wrestlers, are on top of what’s going on and watch regularly on the channels that show it – prominently including USA, ION and SyFy, among others.
    40% are casual fans – they’ll watch on occasion, but are not heavily invested in the programming.
    The other 40% are what WWE thinks of as lapsed fans – they used to watch some wrestling but have not done so for a period of time, and perhaps could be coaxed back.
    Other sports have had to answer questions about whether or not there is an audience for around-the-clock programming dedicated entirely to their product, and the answer, they believe, is yes there is.
    The theory is that the availability of content builds the appetite for even more – and WWE cites the NFL’s dedicated channel as an example.
    In addition to the steady production of new material, the company says it has 100,000 hours worth of material in its archives, ready to be polished up and put out there for new usage.
    The dream to get a 24-hour channel together most likely will not be fulfilled by creation of another basic service. According to SNL, MVPDs are not anxious to add any more consent fees to their overhead. So if the WWE dream is to come true, expect some form of pay service as the vehicle of choice.

----------------------

So WWE's most popular show is only drawing 30% of their hardcore fans & the PPV's 0.15%.

Come on WWE, be serious (or close to it)

2. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

They have 6 t.v. programs going on right now and they think people want MORE?! Look at those hour 3 ratings. People get way too much WWE right now. Lots of it is marginal at best.

3. UCJOE

Hey if they think they have 12 million hardcore fans they can be fooled into thinking anything o_O

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I answered the poll they used to come up with these numbers. Here's a short synopsis.

Question 1: How often do you watch WWE programming?

Question 2: Can you identify this WWE superstar? (Photo of John Cena)

Question 3: Can you identify this WWE superstar? (Photo of Alberto del Rio)

The end.

It's a miracle they got anything from that.

5. ianbobo

ianbobo Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

I did the same thing. They had one today about HITC. Asked which match I was most interested in, least interested in, what do I want to see. Told them not to put the belt on Ryback and let Punk roll until at least the Rumble.

6. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

As much as I miss some of the old smileys, I like the collective quality of these new smileys.

7. UCJOE

Relly? That is interesting

8. Douche McGee

If they had a full channel and it came in the same package as the NHL Network, I would watch it. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but I think it could be great considering they have the video catalog from WCW and ECW to go along with the WWF/E catalog. They could air the docs they've made along with the other DVDs and even maybe move a PPV to it and to offset the cost, sell advertising.

9. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

We had the WWE On-Demand for a while. Forgot about it and got tired of paying $10 a month. If it was included in a "Sportsnet" package on my cable provider, I'd give it a watch, but I don't think I'd order it specifically for an additional fee.

10. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

That would be sweet, but if they continue their policy of editing out the blood and content, Vince and the board can go fuck themselves.

11. UCJOE

From the call:
    They have conducted research on the size of their fan base. 1/2 the households in the U.S. has a "level of affinity" for WWE. They claimed 12 million are diehard, hardcore fans. 24 million are casual fans. 23 million homes are lapsed fans who have some interest in returning for some form of content, including archival material.

They are fucking insane

12. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

This reeks of corporate spin.

13. UCJOE

Don
    Of course, but even for a spin its overkill
    Any corporate quarterly will be spun but that just goes into crazy talk ;)

14. Douche McGee

I think they're missing what "hardcore fan" means. Even in the absolute heyday of the WWF, they weren't getting 12 million people watching Raw or Smackdown. A die-hard is somebody who watches all the shows and gets all the PPVs. I don't know the PPV numbers, but I'd be willing to bet only Wresltemania gets more than 12 million buys and I'd consider those people casual fans.

15. UCJOE

If EWM got 12 million buys WWE would be ecstatic
    Only a few PPV's broke 2 million & they were all boxing & that is worldwide
    The best UFC was 1.6 ww
    The best Mania was almost 1.2 ww
    Most WWE PPV's do in the 100-150k domestic buys range

16. UCJOE

The PPV reacord seems to be

May 5, 2007
    Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather

17. UCJOE

I checked & WM 28 did 733,000 domestic (500k were foreign)

So yes their biggest event ever had 6% of their diehard fans

18. Neckbeard

If half the country had some "level of affinity" wouldn't it get more than 3 to 5 million viewers for its A and B shows? At the height of the Monday Night Wars RAW is WAR and Nitro couldn't consistently get 12 million viewers and that was as realistically as hot as you could expect a product to be culturally and about as quality as you could expect.

Last year didn't this company have 2 PPVs that did sub 100 K domestic buys in America? And globally the buy-rate, the percentage of people who actually purchase a PPV is super, super small. Add in Australia fans, UK fans, Canada fans and then look at all these sub 150K global buys.

Lets say 4 million people who in some way are a "fan" of wrestling. They'll watch a portion of a show or a show in its entirety. I'll go so far as to say they purchase with themselves or other fans the "The Big 4" PPVs. Even those guys, guys like me, will look at a card like Capitol Punishment and go LOLNO.

I'll assume for every American fan you have 1 non-American fan. 8 million people who are in some ways "fans" generating less than 200K buys globally is crazy talk.

WM does about 800 to 1.2 mil globally
    Royal Rumble about two thirds to half that
    SummerSlam and Survivor Series even less
    B and C lister PPVs going sub 250 K globally

The entire PPV season doesn't even get 12 million buys from the entire planet, much less the
    "hardcore" fans in America.

19. UCJOE

Neckbeard
    There is also a major difference in fan & viewer of something free

Look at O&A & Stern when they were on FM
    They had much larger listener bases but the actual fan(atics) numbers were maybe 20% that would pay for product

So WWE (to me) has about a million or so "fans" & the rest casual

Obviously my numbers are way different than WWE's but they seem more factual

20. Neckbeard

I'd say a million devoted, rabid, I somehow watch every show and take in every PPV somehow, purchase some of the PPVs, get merch fans, is globally a lot closer than 12 million. Maybe I lowball and discount people banding together to buy PPVs and it is more like, 2 or 3 million globally, but it sure ain't 12 million in America alone. Hell no.

If WWE had 12 million "hardcore" fans in America that would mean they'd be profiting 2 to 4 billion or more per year, could charge way more advertising and be bigger financially than the NFL, NBA, NHL and
    NASCAR put together.

21. UCJOE

Meltzer said internally they are thinking they could do a million on a pay channel
    I guess they think like Neckbeard & I do about real diehard fans

I think that is high to hope for

22. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Getting a million wouldn't be hard. Keeping them would.

23. Neckbeard

I already have tapes and torrents of the essential WCW, ECW and WWF stuff I care about. Now, I might go in for a hundred bucks if I get a sufficient amount of B PPVs, say 6 or more, to make it worth my time, but anything past 10 bucks a month is a no go. WWE Classics On Demand only got about 100,000 subscribers. The B PPVs are essential to the Network succeeding but if they charge cut rate for them they will kill any business for the full retail 45 dollar ones.

I think a more than monthly PPV schedule at 45+ dollars a piece and almost 60 dollars after taxes for WM is absolutely psychotic. The didn't even charge that much or have a schedule with that many PPVs during the Attitude Era/Monday Night Wars boom times. The company would do well to have 8 or so PPVs and cut the price rather than have WWE Network Cow giving the milk away at a 75 percent, 80 percent discount.

24. UCJOE

I think you are in a very small minority thinking that though
    I can't see that at all
    With torrents, streams, etc. I don't see anywhere near that paying

Remember that this is not 1million fans but 1million subscribers

That is a very tall order

I tend to agree with you

The big difference maker would be what "original" programming they would provide & lets be honest in the fact that very few have faith in Vince & company deliverying quality content.

So far a "fully scripted" reality show called Legends House is the best idea & that is a train wreck bc everyone would be in character

25. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Advertise it enough, and you can get a million people to try anything. Keeping them more than a few months would be hard.