WWII code 'may never be cracked'

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
WWII code 'may never be cracked'

23 November 2012 Last updated at 06:06 ET Help
Experts at intelligence agency GCHQ have asked for help in de-coding a message found attached to a pigeon leg, thought to date back to WWII.

The dead bird was found in a chimney in Surrey a few weeks ago.

But without more information, the code may never be cracked, according to the BBC's security correspondent Gordon Corera.

The code is as follows:
AOAKN HVPKD FNFJW YIDDC
RQXSR DJHFP GOVFN MIAPX
PABUZ WYYNP CMPNW HJRZH
NLXKG MEMKK ONOIB AKEEQ
WAOTA RBQRH DJOFM TPZEH
LKXGH RGGHT JRZCQ FNKTQ
KLDTS FQIRW AOAKN 27 1525/6
Story vid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20458792

mkrochmaln

Donator
It probably says : "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I hope they don't translate it.

anonymous should get on this and crack it...it would be a nice little bit of publicity...of course the one who cracks it might end up a Starfighter or something...

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I find it hard to believe they can't run it thru
a few programs and crack it. Considering it was
done in the 40's I'm sure it will get solved.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
some 12 year old kid with an i pad will knock it out in 10 mins

Why would there be a code we don't have the key for in a vault somewhere? Obviously whoever sent it expected it to be decoded.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I don't think there's enough code there to develop a meaningful pattern to help crack it.

It probably says something like "We'll show those round-eyes when we bomb their Navy base back to the stone age on December 7. Hopefully no one cracks this in time and prepares for our arrival".

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
It says, "It's just as you prophesied! The planets of our solar system, incinerating. Like flaming globes, Sigmund. Like flaming globes. Ah, ha, ha, ha..."

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Just ran it through my Hex-1 decompiler. It says "All your base are belong to us."

Most likely a one-time pad. During WWII, women would sit around all day pulling random letters out of lottery-style rotators and writing them down in groups of 5. You would use that as the key to encrypt and decrypt the message. It is basically impossible to crack a message like that without the one-time pad.

If this stuff (and sci-fi) fascinates you, by all means pick up Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I learned a fuckton about cryptography from that book. Super fascinating.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
If this stuff (and sci-fi) fascinates you, by all means pick up Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I learned a fuckton about cryptography from that book. Super fascinating.
"But don't take my word for it..." Thanks LeVar Burton.

wavey

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
19 .......8.... 1....... 6...... 20..... 15........ 5

I don't get what either of you wonder twins is talking about.