Movie X-Men: Dark Phoenix June 7, 2019

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Well that and I can never look at Sophie Turner the same way after Tye Sheridan said she looked like Boy George.
Why, Tye, Why? Tye?

I don't think she's great, but like I said, Sloppy Party Girl. She'll try, probably embarrassingly, but she'll try. You've seen the commercials for Red Widow. She has no pizazz. I don't get anything from J-Law other than she won't enjoy whatever it is you're doing and she'll be so emotionless it'll feel like a ****.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
This has been pushed back to 2/14/19. I’m guessing this has more to do with Black Panther’s box office success than problems with the film.

Unlike New Mutants.

HandPanzer

τι θελεις
This is the thread where Sophie Turner became a Karma Chameleon in my head forever.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
This has been pushed back to 2/14/19.
That's disappointing. I was kind of looking forward to this as a mindless movie.

I’m guessing this has more to do with Black Panther’s box office success than problems with the film.
Then maybe it should have a black person.

Pigdango

Donator
That's disappointing. I was kind of looking forward to this as a mindless movie.

Then maybe it should have a black person.
On the bright side, the googly eye cyborg movie could move to November to take its place, allowing you to have nightmares that much faster.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
On the bright side, the googly eye cyborg movie could move to November to take its place, allowing you to have nightmares that much faster.
November looks terrible. Right down to the Creed sequel that fucked up by bringing Ivan Drago back.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
@Pigdango

I get your concerns with the movie, but I think Kinberg's recent comments bode well.

https://movieweb.com/x-men-dark-phoenix-faithful-comics/

""The tone is definitely... I wouldn't say it's darker, but it's more intense. It's more real, I think, and grounded, and hopefully more relatable, a little less operatic than we've been in the past.""

Pigdango

Donator

mascan42

Rumors are going around that in light of the pending Disney-Fox merger, all future X-Men movies are cancelled. That means the Gambit movie that may never have happened anyway ... just won't happen. The New Mutants movie that's been stuck in reshoots and re-editing for months may simply be scrapped. And (HUGE fucking grain of salt here) even Dark Phoenix may be shelved for several years.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Rumors are going around that in light of the pending Disney-Fox merger, all future X-Men movies are cancelled. That means the Gambit movie that may never have happened anyway ... just won't happen. The New Mutants movie that's been stuck in reshoots and re-editing for months may simply be scrapped. And (HUGE fucking grain of salt here) even Dark Phoenix may be shelved for several years.
Pig's been calling that shit for the last couple of years at this point.
But it makes sense. There's no way in hell they're going to allow for a chance to fuck up Dark Phoenix or even do a 'meh' job now that the whole stable is coming under the Mouse's watchful eye. At some point soon, only The Feige will know what's happening with Dark Phoenix.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
But it makes sense. There's no way in hell they're going to allow for a chance to fuck up Dark Phoenix or even do a 'meh' job now that the whole stable is coming under the Mouse's watchful eye. At some point soon, only The Feige will know what's happening with Dark Phoenix.

The Feige....The Feige chooses....

Pigdango

Donator
People are saying there were test screenings for Dark Phoenix, and they went...poorly.

That movie is never ever coming out. New Mutants might because who cares about them, but the X-Men will be fully rebooted.

The big question is whether they will allow a Deadpool 3 and if they will allow it to be a balls to the wall lampoon of the MCU. I’m hoping so.

Also @Neon with the merger - we should FINALLY get the unaltered OT.

People are saying there were test screenings for Dark Phoenix, and they went...poorly.

That movie is never ever coming out. New Mutants might because who cares about them, but the X-Men will be fully rebooted.

The big question is whether they will allow a Deadpool 3 and if they will allow it to be a balls to the wall lampoon of the MCU. I’m hoping so.

Just in time for me not giving a fuck about Star Wars anymore. :haha7:

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator

Hold on- I hate to go back into this hole again, but doesn’t Lucas have the rights and Fox the others? Or am I on crack? (Just tell me, I can take it.)

Pigdango

Donator
Hold on- I hate to go back into this hole again, but doesn’t Lucas have the rights and Fox the others? Or am I on crack? (Just tell me, I can take it.)
Disney has the distribution rights to the Prequels and the new films obviously.

Disney already has or will eventually gain rights to Empire and Jedi, as Fox’ distribution rights to those had/has an expiration date. (I forget what it was. It may have passed already.)

Fox holds distribution rights to A New Hope forever and always unquestionably and irrevocably. Until the sale goes through.

Getting distribution rights to the Original Trilogy was arguably a bigger piece of this acquisition than getting the X-Men and FF back. The 4K release of the entire saga will be a huge financial windfall that they no longer have to share with Fox. Shit, just being able to put them on their streaming service is a huge deal.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
My opinion...

I'm strangely looking forward to Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse was just the right amount of forgettable-but-don't-mind-it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but isn't a good thing either. There's something so bland about it that I think it's enjoyable. (And yes, that mostly has to do with the cast.) Regardless, I want to see Dark Phoenix. But enough about me.

Dark Phoenix is too big of a movie to simply bury. There's too much recognition of the franchise and the actors. And as meh as people might be on the series, I think it's something that can generate buzz. I'm not sure if there are major XCU fanboys, but if there are #ReleaseTheSnyderCut people, I'm sure there are people who like this series. What I can imagine them doing is adding a post credits sequence that either ends this universe or that bridges it to the MCU. Would that mean they postpone it until after Infinity War 2? But I really don't see them vaulting it.

New Mutants on the other hand...it was supposed to be a low budget alternative, but they ended up refilming the whole thing because, why again? It wasn't scary enough? An excuse that still makes very little sense. I can't see Disney throwing another dime at this. The biggest name is Sansa Stark, and that's not her real name. This ends up either VOD or on a streaming service like Space Station Cloverfield or Mogli, the Andy Serkis directed-Jungle Book movie which is now going to premiere on Netflix which, poor Andy Serkis.

I don't know what's going to happen with Deadpool - whether he'll be allowed to stay in his pocket dimension or not. I bet Predator is happy being released right when they have so many other things to care about that its underperformance will fly mostly under the radar.

I also think that Dark Phoenix will never see the light of day.

But my big question would be, what comes next for the MCU: The Fantastic Four or the X-Men?

I would prefer it to be FF. I really don't want to see anything X affiliated for at least 4 or 5 years.

Although if Dark Phoenix is getting shelved, than does mean the MCU will have immediate plans to reboot the X-Men.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?

But my big question would be, what comes next for the MCU: The Fantastic Four or the X-Men?

I would prefer it to be FF. I really don't want to see anything X affiliated for at least 4 or 5 years.

Although if Dark Phoenix is getting shelved, than does mean the MCU will have immediate plans to reboot the X-Men.
I definitely think it will be Fantastic Four. Rise of the Silver Surfer came out in 2007, and the one from a couple of years ago was so opposed to being Fantastic Four that it probably never connected in the minds of general audiences what it was. Yes, they had a The Thing, but those iconic costumes speak a lot more than some brown goblin.

So that's nearly a dozen years since we had an "actual" Fantastic Four movie. Compared to X-Men, which has remained consistently in the public consciousness - for better or worse - since 2000.

I don't know what's going on with the Marvel Cosmic World now that the ridiculous Gunn bullshit happened (and what that's covering up, we'll never know), but between Ragnorak, Guardians, and Captain Marvel, I think Marvel sees a lot of potential in the Cosmic World. Since the Fantastic Four is where a lot of that originated, I can see them wanting to use the Four to explore it more. Plus I think they know a lot of people (myself included) want a legit Fantastic Four movie far more than "here's a new Wolverine, here's a new Professor X."

I think letting the X-Men sit and allowing the franchise to settle down would do it a world of good. Plus it would slow down questions about what they were doing sitting on their keisters like a bunch of goons while the world went to poop on so many occasions.

I would still want more Deadpools (whether it be DP3 or X Force) though. New Mutants never sees the light of day.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

On top of what @LiddyRules said, FF has always had really close ties to Spider-Man. That makes for an easy and obvious transition.
as for the X-men, I imagine we are likely to see individual characters filter in before a full X-men movie.

Scarlett Witch gets to be Magneto's daughter again.

Pigdango

Donator
My opinion...

I'm strangely looking forward to Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse was just the right amount of forgettable-but-don't-mind-it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but isn't a good thing either. There's something so bland about it that I think it's enjoyable. (And yes, that mostly has to do with the cast.) Regardless, I want to see Dark Phoenix. But enough about me.

Dark Phoenix is too big of a movie to simply bury. There's too much recognition of the franchise and the actors. And as meh as people might be on the series, I think it's something that can generate buzz. I'm not sure if there are major XCU fanboys, but if there are #ReleaseTheSnyderCut people, I'm sure there are people who like this series. What I can imagine them doing is adding a post credits sequence that either ends this universe or that bridges it to the MCU. Would that mean they postpone it until after Infinity War 2? But I really don't see them vaulting it.

New Mutants on the other hand...it was supposed to be a low budget alternative, but they ended up refilming the whole thing because, why again? It wasn't scary enough? An excuse that still makes very little sense. I can't see Disney throwing another dime at this. The biggest name is Sansa Stark, and that's not her real name. This ends up either VOD or on a streaming service like Space Station Cloverfield or Mogli, the Andy Serkis directed-Jungle Book movie which is now going to premiere on Netflix which, poor Andy Serkis.

I don't know what's going to happen with Deadpool - whether he'll be allowed to stay in his pocket dimension or not. I bet Predator is happy being released right when they have so many other things to care about that its underperformance will fly mostly under the radar.
Tl;dr - nobody wants it or thinks it’s a great idea so I want it and think it’s a great idea. #WackbagContrarian

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Tl;dr - nobody wants it or thinks it’s a great idea so I want it and think it’s a great idea. #WackbagContrarian
I never said they should make it regardless. It's made. Put it out. So what? No one is forcing you to see it.