SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
http://movieweb.com/dark-phoenix-x-men-7-release-date-sophie-turner/

X-Men 7 Gets Titled Dark Phoenix, Sophie Turner Will Return

B. Alan Orange | 7 hours ago

20th Century Fox is going to town today, announcing release dates for quite a few anticipated movies. Amongst these various titles, we have confirmation that Fox is planning not one, not two, but three new X-Men movies for release in 2018, mirroring what Disney and Marvel are doing with their MCU. And they've finally confirmed that X-Men 7, as long rumored, is moving forward under the title Dark Phoenix.

It should be no secret that Fox has been planning a reboot of the classic Dark Phoenix storyline from the X-Men comics. 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand, the third movie in the franchise, already covered this ground. But most fans thought director Brett Ratner, who took over for Bryan Singer, handled the material very poorly. Now, Fox is aiming to tell this story the right way.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Dark Phoenix will have fan-favorite mutant Jean Grey in the lead. The story will show how Jean became host to the Phoenix Force. This cosmic entity consumes the young mutant, and eventually forces her to become a hugely destructive being. The Phoenix Force ultimately leads to the death of Jean Grey.

As previously rumored, longtime X-Men writer and producer Simon Kinberg is the top choice to helm X-Men: Dark Phoenix. It would mark his directorial debut. The movie is a direct follow-up to 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse. And Sophie Turner is confirmed to reprise her role as Jean Grey from that movie. No other cast members have been announced at this time. It is suspected that Tye Sheridan will reprise his role as Cyclops, with Alexandra Shipp playing Storm once again, and Kodi Smit-McPhee returning as Nightcrawler. X-Men: Apocalypse ended the First Class trilogy, and as such, the main cast of those three films are not likely to return, but it's not out of the question. Jennifer Lawrence says she's open to playing Mystique one more time. And Nicholas Hoult isn't against reprising his role as Beast.

It was confirmed earlier in the year that James McAvoy will return as Charles Xavier, and that the movie is set in the 90s this time around. There is no word on whether Michael Fassbender's Magneto will show up. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the new X-Men movie is that Hugh Jackman has retired his Wolverine character, and Logan is an important character in this story arc. We could be looking at a new young actor taking over the role next November.

Dark Phoenix will be in theaters November 2, 2018. It follows New Mutants, which arrives April 13, 2018, and the highly anticipated sequel Deadpool 2, which hits in the summer on June 1. X-Men 7 has its work cut out for it at the box office. It will be going up against Disney's live-action remake of Mulan, which promises to be another box office monster for the mouse house. It will also be going up against a huge Paramount Pictures event movie, which the studio refuses to announce at the moment.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/three-x-men-movies-new-mutants-deadpool-2-and-dark-ph-1794561256

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...pool-2-and-new-mutants-release-dates-revealed

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Piss on this.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
Whats the point, thanks to "Logan" that every one loved, All the XMen are long dead by the mid 2020's.

Dec 12, 2007
Who plays Wolverine now? Will he have a set of shiny glitter shoes like Jackman?

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Simon Kinberg confirmed to direct. And GREAT NEWS! Jennifer Lawrence is back! And they're trying to get the perfect actress to play Jean Grey to play...Lilandra?!?!?

http://deadline.com/2017/06/x-men-d...bender-james-mcavoy-simon-kinberg-1202113290/

EXCLUSIVE: Fox has formalized plans for Dark Phoenix, the next installment of the X-Men franchise. This all just happened, but they’ve set Simon Kinberg as director (long rumored), and the studio set a release date of November 2, 2018. Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are all reprising when production begins in Montreal.

At the same time, Jessica Chastain is in talks to join the cast as the main villain, Shi’ar Empress Lilandra.

Kinberg is producing with Bryan Singer, Hutch Parker and Lauren Shuler Donner. This is a huge moment for Kinberg, who gets his turn behind the camera after serving as a creative backbone for the X-Men franchise films since writing 2006’s X: Men: The Last Stand; he wrote and produced X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and X-Men: Apocalypse. He is making his directorial debut, but knows the mythology like the back of his hand. Kinberg has been a producer on the spinoff Deadpool and its currently shooting sequel, as well as X-Men: The New Mutants and X-Men: First Class.
So this is set in the 80's or maybe 90's, and the X-Men are going into fucking space?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Maybe she comes to Earth instead. Because the idea of Sansa Stark and Nightcrawler in space suits is ridiculous.

Also, even though it's a "new" director, it's essentially the same director.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
You're probably right, though. She'll just appear on Earth dressed in black leather and say "Seriously bros - I have a spaceship right around the corner."

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I can't explain the difference. Maybe it's the bubble helmet. Maybe it's them in an actual rocket ship traveling through space because that hasn't been an X thing.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You're probably right, though. She'll just appear on Earth dressed in black leather and say "Seriously bros - I have a spaceship right around the corner."
I'm going to say the X team doesn't go to space at all. We might see Lilandra in space, but beyond that, it's going to be strictly Earth bound.

Besides, after the bloated narrative mess that was Apocalypse, do you want to throw them hanging out on a new planet into the mix?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You can't say you didn't walk into this one:
It's not a matter about me wanting them to repeat what's been done before. As much as I like McAvoy and Fassbender together, do you think I want this movie to boil down to them frenemying again? Because you know it will.

It's about the tone/vibe of the franchise, and it's always been lower key and more "grounded" than space adventures.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
It's not a matter about me wanting them to repeat what's been done before. As much as I like McAvoy and Fassbender together, do you think I want this movie to boil down to them frenemying again? Because you know it will.

It's about the tone/vibe of the franchise, and it's always been lower key and more "grounded" than space adventures.
If I was making a list of problems/potential problems with this movie, the idea that in 30 years Beast could upgrade the First Class version of the Blackbird so it could go into space is really far down that list. Not even on it. And I know you're talking about the vibe more than them literally going into space, but DOFP and Apocalypse both had ridiculously fantastical elements. I don't see how you can draw a line between time travel...whatever the fuck was going on in Apocalypse, and them going into space. How many X-Men proper films are there - 6? I'd say half (1,2, FC) are somewhat grounded, the other half (3,DOFP,A) would fit right in with them jumping in a ship and beating up some Skrulls. And given that this film is a direct sequel to DOFP and A and is essentially a reimagining of the events of 3...Again, there are a list of problems a mile long, them encountering a spaceperson or going into space isn't one of them.

As much as I love continuity, Logan should have represented the final film of that iteration of the X-Men. They should have just let it sit for a few years and then bring in an entirely new cast. Somewhat to your point, there's even an opportunity to break from the black leather blah of the franchise and start off with a new Scott, Jean, Ice Man, Angel, and Beast, wearing colorful comic book style costumes and a more playful tone. I get that Turner and Sheridan are rising stars and you don't want to dump them, and Fass Mac and JLaw are huge stars and if they're willing to continue soiling their careers, why not let them, but this movie is a horrific idea that can't possibly work.
Anybody remember the last time they tried to do the Phoenix storyline with a rushed production schedule?
This guy gets it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
If I was making a list of problems/potential problems with this movie, the idea that in 30 years Beast could upgrade the First Class version of the Blackbird so it could go into space is really far down that list. Not even on it. And I know you're talking about the vibe more than them literally going into space, but DOFP and Apocalypse both had ridiculously fantastical elements. I don't see how you can draw a line between time travel...whatever the fuck was going on in Apocalypse, and them going into space. How many X-Men proper films are there - 6? I'd say half (1,2, FC) are somewhat grounded, the other half (3,DOFP,A) would fit right in with them jumping in a ship and beating up some Skrulls. And given that this film is a direct sequel to DOFP and A and is essentially a reimagining of the events of 3...Again, there are a list of problems a mile long, them encountering a spaceperson or going into space isn't one of them.
It's hard to explain, but I'm sure you have arbitrary lines as well. Weird cruxes where you can no longer suspend your disbelief. For me, space travel with the X-Men is. I think space travel in general is. We know there's a Marvel Cosmic Universe, but if Spider-Man: Homecoming ended with Tony Stark saying "I built a rocketship and I'm going to travel the stars!", wouldn't even you be like "huh. That's weird."? (The general 'you,' I'm sure that you specifically would be bouncing up and down in your seat.)

I'm going to say the following, fully recognizing that there's no scientific logic to any of these movies. The Iron Man suit is complete fantasy. Batman can fight Superman, a warehouse, and Doomsday in an hour and never seem winded. So, nothing makes sense. That being said - it would take a very long time to get to a distant planet from Earth. I can accept in Guardians that inhabited planets are closer together out there in space because, sure. Prove to me that it isn't. I can accept that Thor has crazy wormhole technology, because sure. Prove to me that Asgard doesn't have it. But if the X-Men have the technology to be able to jet off to a distant planet willy nilly, that's world changing technology - (and I know that mutants are world-changing too...). The planets in Guardians and Asgard in Thor have all benefited from the leaps in better-than-Earth technology so we accept it as part of the universe. If they can go from Earth to Ceti Alpha V in the same time it would take them to go to Manhattan, yet at the same time we're getting "Listen to this NIRVANA compact disc!" "America Online?!?!?" there's a disconnect for me. And if they have that technology, at that point, why keep up any pretense of anything? There's no real connection to any sort of humanity anymore.

There's a lot of things that work in the comics that wouldn't work in live action. With the bright colorful 1960s and the sci-fi boom from then, sure. But taking real humans and putting them in that place, especially in the more serious Singerverse (and I see this director as a Singer disciple), breaks it for me.

I'm not sure if any of that made any sense.

As much as I love continuity, Logan should have represented the final film of that iteration of the X-Men. They should have just let it sit for a few years and then bring in an entirely new cast. Somewhat to your point, there's even an opportunity to break from the black leather blah of the franchise and start off with a new Scott, Jean, Ice Man, Angel, and Beast, wearing colorful comic book style costumes and a more playful tone. I get that Turner and Sheridan are rising stars and you don't want to dump them, and Fass Mac and JLaw are huge stars and if they're willing to continue soiling their careers, why not let them, but this movie is a horrific idea that can't possibly work.
I honestly wonder if they would have done that had Deadpool not happened/taken off. And I know, Deadpool isn't really tied into the X-Men movies, but it's close enough that I don't think they would completely reboot with that outlier kicking about. I mean I don't know much about The New Mutants, but they really need to sell me on getting invested in a brand new team that is connected but not connected.

This guy gets it.
I never said I disagreed with that. Either Apocalypse or the movie after that should have more been about the new class, namely Sansa and Cylcops rather than having them completely tangential for 90% of the movie.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
And before you accuse me of advocating no space travel ever, let me counter.

1) If Vaughn had kept on with the X-series, and the franchise had the same brightness and levity as XMFC, and especially if it remained in the 1960s, by the third movie I'd probably be "okay sure, space." (Something about that time period...)

2) The MCU is building up appropriately to interstellar travel within its own universe. We know aliens exist (though don't seem to care much about it), and Tony knows whatever is going to happen is coming from the stars. Bruce Banner is the one in space in Thor, and he's the one most likely to understand how all this crazy space technology actually works. You think Thor or Star-Lord could explain any of it? Infinity War will bring a lot of the tech to Earth that we can reconfigure for our own purposes. So you take all of those pieces, throw in a genius like Reed to oversee the project, Banner consulting, Stark funding, and now you can go into space.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Here's their retcon excuse. When Logan went back into himself in DoFP, that made a timeline split so that the McAvoy Xavier X-Men is different than the Stewart Xavier X-men

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
Here's their retcon excuse. When Logan went back into himself in DoFP, that made a timeline split so that the McAvoy Xavier X-Men is different than the Stewart Xavier X-men
Gay.

at this point they dont an excuse for anything. They just do shit n let people try untie the knots
Whats the point, thanks to "Logan" that every one loved, All the XMen are long dead by the mid 2020's.
Thats a different timeline, deadpool is a different timeline too

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
@Pigdango

I know your biggest problem with the X-Men movies is that they don't randomly throw in enough mutants who contribute nothing to the story. Well, I have good news for you - Dazzler is making it into Dark Phoenix, probably not played by Swift.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/23/dark-phoenix-dazzler/

Dark Phoenix, the upcoming X-Men film about the classic Jean Grey storyline, is gonna be even more dazzling than other installments: EW can confirm that mutant pop star Dazzler, who not only can sing and dance but also manipulate light, will appear in Phoenix.

Fans might remember that X-Men: Apocalypse actually had a deleted scene where Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) and Scott Summers (Tye Sheridan) came across Dazzler’s album at a mall record store. Turner revealed the shot on her Instagram page. Turner also made a 1989 reference which led folks to think that this image of Dazzler was Taylor Swift (the scene was ultimately cut from the final film).

Casting notices for Phoenix hit the Internet weeks ago with several parts open for new actors including one that sounds like Dazzler.

For Phoenix, EW has learned Dazzler will pop up but only in a small role and there is no plan at the moment to have Swift play her.

Dark Phoenix, directed by Simon Kinberg, will begin shooting this summer and stars Turner, Sheridan, Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult, Alexander Shipp and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Jessica Chastain is also in talks to play the film’s villain. It’s scheduled for release on Nov. 2, 2018.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004