Movie X-Men: The New Mutants - opening August 2nd 2019

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Hydrox goes best with Mr Pibb. A match made in mediocrity.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
X-Men: Professor X Planned for New Mutants Movie
Share.
It will apparently begin filming in early 2017.
By Terri Schwartz

According to producer Simon Kinberg, Charles Xavier will be in the planned New Mutants movie if and when it hits the big screen.

Speaking to Collider, Kinberg -- who wrote and produced X-Men: Apocalypse -- said, "Right now, as the movie exists, Professor X would be a part of a New Mutants movie." He also he hopes New Mutants will begin shooting in early 2017.

It's unclear how many characters from the previous X-Men movies may have roles in New Mutants, or whether James McAvoy will be reprising his role as Professor X in the movie.

This lines up with what Kinberg recently told ComingSoon.net. When asked about the follow-up to X-Men: Apocalypse, Kinberg said, "The next one is set in the '90s." Considering when New Mutants begins filming, it seems likely he's referring to that film.

The original 1982 New Mutants series focused on the first generation of X-Men -- aka Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast and Angel. Professor X was in charge of teaching and guiding them, and eventually Magneto also took that role.

Given that Apocalypse, which is set in the '80s, introduces young Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Jubilee and Nightcrawler, it's easy to see how New Mutants movie could fit into the X-Men timeline. Meanwhile new characters will seemingly join the series, as Maisie Williams was reportedly courted to play Wolfsbane and Anya Taylor-Joy might be playing Magik.

When IGN spoke to Kinberg recently, he said of New Mutants, "Traditionally, the New Mutants have some characters that cross over from the mainline X-Men movies. As we are going, I would say it's likely that you will see some familiar faces."

He added that the movie will have "more of a YA [Young Adult] vibe to it."

X-Men: Apocalypse hits theaters on May 27, 2016. Also on the horizon is Wolverine 3, which will be rated R and be "like a western in its tone." The as-yet-untitled movie will be released on March 3, 2017.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...mutants-movie?abthid=57327d3c3221902c4b000021

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/next-x-men-movie-to-feature-90s-setting-says-simon-kinberg/

Next X-Men Movie To Feature ’90s Setting, Says Simon Kinberg
By Michael Briers @briersytweets 2 days ago

Grab those Tamagotchis and crank up the pop music; 20th Century Fox is steering its flagship X-Men franchise toward the ’90s for the inevitable new movie.

That’s according to series producer Simon Kinberg, who revealed to Coming Soon that the studio’s next foray in the mutants universe would continue the streak from Bryan Singer’s prequel trilogy – First Class (1960s), Days of Future Past (1970s) and this month’s X-Men: Apocalypse (1980s) – by taking place in a 90s setting. Could Kinberg be referring to Josh Boone’s New Mutants offshoot that’s beginning to gain traction at Fox?

As a matter of fact, The Fault in Our Stars filmmaker recently took to Instagram to unveil what we assume to be the core lineup for his X-Men spinoff – Magik, Wolfsbane, Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, and Warlock – likely flanked by Alexandra Shipp’s mercurial Storm. No word yet on casting for Boone’s actioner, but both Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams and relative newcomer Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) have been linked over the past few weeks.

A 90s setting would make sense, then, particularly for Shipp’s character of Storm who will be coming off the global showdown that is X-Men: Apocalypse. Plus, as Fox’s mutant universe continues to evolve, rooting New Mutants in the ’90s affords Boone and Co. with some creative leeway to carve out origin tales far away from Singer’s barnstorming prequel trilogy.

Later this month, Bryan Singer will be heralding the end of days, while Hugh Jackman himself is gearing up for one final appearance as Wolverine. But Fox’s lucrative franchise doesn’t end there, and at least now we know the next X-Men movie – whatever that may be – will be set against the 1990s.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
X-Men: Professor X Planned for New Mutants Movie
Share.
It will apparently begin filming in early 2017.
By Terri Schwartz

According to producer Simon Kinberg, Charles Xavier will be in the planned New Mutants movie if and when it hits the big screen.

Speaking to Collider, Kinberg -- who wrote and produced X-Men: Apocalypse -- said, "Right now, as the movie exists, Professor X would be a part of a New Mutants movie." He also he hopes New Mutants will begin shooting in early 2017.

It's unclear how many characters from the previous X-Men movies may have roles in New Mutants, or whether James McAvoy will be reprising his role as Professor X in the movie.

This lines up with what Kinberg recently told ComingSoon.net. When asked about the follow-up to X-Men: Apocalypse, Kinberg said, "The next one is set in the '90s." Considering when New Mutants begins filming, it seems likely he's referring to that film.

The original 1982 New Mutants series focused on the first generation of X-Men -- aka Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast and Angel. Professor X was in charge of teaching and guiding them, and eventually Magneto also took that role.

Given that Apocalypse, which is set in the '80s, introduces young Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Jubilee and Nightcrawler, it's easy to see how New Mutants movie could fit into the X-Men timeline. Meanwhile new characters will seemingly join the series, as Maisie Williams was reportedly courted to play Wolfsbane and Anya Taylor-Joy might be playing Magik.

When IGN spoke to Kinberg recently, he said of New Mutants, "Traditionally, the New Mutants have some characters that cross over from the mainline X-Men movies. As we are going, I would say it's likely that you will see some familiar faces."

He added that the movie will have "more of a YA [Young Adult] vibe to it."

X-Men: Apocalypse hits theaters on May 27, 2016. Also on the horizon is Wolverine 3, which will be rated R and be "like a western in its tone." The as-yet-untitled movie will be released on March 3, 2017.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...mutants-movie?abthid=57327d3c3221902c4b000021
So the New Mutants are also going to be set in the 1990s?

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
No, I think they are saying that The New Mutants WILL BE the 1990's movie.

I think.
Then both would be set in the 1990s? Because it would be strange to leapfrog almost 40 years between Apocalypse and Phoenix keeping Sansa in the role.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Then both would be set in the 1990s? Because it would be strange to leapfrog almost 40 years between Apocalypse and Phoenix keeping Sansa in the role.
Man...I bet she's terrible in the role.

The real question is, how does this effect new Wolverine Mystique? We can't have an X-movie without her in a pivotal role.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
opening April 13, 2018

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Before Deadpool? Weird.
Maybe it is placed there as not to get in Deadpool's wake where people are burned out by the X-Men and don't want to watch a new cast?

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Maybe it is placed there as not to get in Deadpool's wake where people are burned out by the X-Men and don't want to watch a new cast?
And I'm saying ride the Deadpool momentum because the time this movie comes out, all anyone will want to hear about is Deadpool. Then parlay the Deadpool train into more interest for New Mutants. But Apocalypse didn't ride the Deadpool train either and we saw what happened there. And I'm not sure how I feel about having two team movies in the same year. If they're both in the same time period, same continuity they should be hanging out, and I don't see think it would behoove them to write Dark Phoenix without knowing what works/what doesn't from New Mutants.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
And I'm saying ride the Deadpool momentum because the time this movie comes out, all anyone will want to hear about is Deadpool. Then parlay the Deadpool train into more interest for New Mutants. But Apocalypse didn't ride the Deadpool train either and we saw what happened there. And I'm not sure how I feel about having two team movies in the same year. If they're both in the same time period, same continuity they should be hanging out, and I don't see think it would behoove them to write Dark Phoenix without knowing what works/what doesn't from New Mutants.

I see what you are saying. But f they put The New Mutants after Deadpool, The New Mutants could eat into their primary X-men franchise's hype and lessen Dark Phoenix. Spacing out the two team X-men movies also makes sense it will be harder to get to know each of the ensemble casts since Deadpool is more independent and has had a much smaller cast.

The New Mutants - April 13, 2018

~ 2 months

Deadpool 2 - June 1, 2018

5 months

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - November 2, 2018

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I'm not seeing Dark Phoenix. Ever. Not even in HitW.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
I really don't see this being a movie I'd want to see. I think they would butcher the fuck out of the original comics...

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I was trying to get a discussion going, but there we go.

Thanks.

Pigdango

Donator
I was trying to get a discussion going, but there we go.

Thanks.
Let me count the ways this is an irredeemable disaster of an idea:

It's rushed. Because Apocalypse was so heavily focused on Mags and Mystique, they haven't re-established Jean and Scott.

It completely fucks anything resembling continuity.

Absolutely none of the pieces of The Dark Phoenix saga are in place except Jean and Scott. The DPS is a sprawling space epic that should be the conclusion of Fox's Cosmic stories featuring Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Shiar, the Skrulls, etc. there are at least 4-5 movies that should be made before they get to Dark Phoenix.

In other words, they're making the exact same mistake Snyder did with BvS:

I understand your distaste for continuity, sequels, cinematic universes, and your love for stand alone movies - but telling this story as a stand alone movie that's also a sequel and a prequel but not really either but both is an asinine idea. "It worked for Logan!" Fuck you. It barely scraped by with Logan, and now you're essentially erasing that movie too. Ponderous.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Let me count the ways this is an irredeemable disaster of an idea:

It's rushed. Because Apocalypse was so heavily focused on Mags and Mystique, they haven't re-established Jean and Scott.

It completely fucks anything resembling continuity.

Absolutely none of the pieces of The Dark Phoenix saga are in place except Jean and Scott. The DPS is a sprawling space epic that should be the conclusion of Fox's Cosmic stories featuring Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Shiar, the Skrulls, etc. there are at least 4-5 movies that should be made before they get to Dark Phoenix.

In other words, they're making the exact same mistake Snyder did with BvS:
I get that, but I'd have no issue with the Phoenix being some more Earthbound thing. Of everything to throw into the X-iverse, I think them being astronauts would probably be the stupidest thing they can do. Not to say your other problems aren't valid.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I understand your distaste for continuity, sequels, cinematic universes, and your love for stand alone movies - but telling this story as a stand alone movie that's also a sequel and a prequel but not really either but both is an asinine idea. "It worked for Logan!" Fuck you. It barely scraped by with Logan, and now you're essentially erasing that movie too. Ponderous.
I missed this paragraph during my first reading, and I wanted to let you know your misrepresentations of me and my beliefs are rude and hurtful.

Pigdango

Donator
I missed this paragraph during my first reading, and I wanted to let you know your misrepresentations of me and my beliefs are rude and hurtful.
That "fuck you" wasn't directed at you. It was directed at Simon Kinberg.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
That "fuck you" wasn't directed at you. It was directed at Simon Kinberg.
Fair enough.

That being said, I don't think you need to do some five-movie mega arc to do Dark Phoenix. I think you could do it, and you could do it better, not involving some intergalactic space war and a billion characters. However, I agree with you in that what is missing in this equation is the development of Jean and Scott. I think for a Dark Phoenix saga to really work, those characters and their relationship needed to be established before you tear it down with Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse didn't give enough of a foundation to jump into this and let it be effective.

As for X-Men as a whole, what do you think they should do? Logan did its own thing. Deadpool is essentially doing its own thing. Ditto Legion. All three kind of exist in pocket universes of the main universe, which itself is a pocket universe because the actual X-Men are trapped in the 1990s. (LOL Remember Sandy Wexler!) And God only knows what they're planning with the New Mutants and whether that will also be 90s-set, thus further trapping the core of the franchise in time. (Plus there's that other X-show coming with Anna Paquin's husband and Amy Acker.) Should they reboot entirely? How long should they wait to bring it back? What of Deadpool?

I also don't know if you saw, but I did do the Cap Trilogy yesterday and wrote my thoughts on it.

Pigdango

Donator
Fair enough.

That being said, I don't think you need to do some five-movie mega arc to do Dark Phoenix. I think you could do it, and you could do it better, not involving some intergalactic space war and a billion characters. However, I agree with you in that what is missing in this equation is the development of Jean and Scott. I think for a Dark Phoenix saga to really work, those characters and their relationship needed to be established before you tear it down with Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse didn't give enough of a foundation to jump into this and let it be effective.

As for X-Men as a whole, what do you think they should do? Logan did its own thing. Deadpool is essentially doing its own thing. Ditto Legion. All three kind of exist in pocket universes of the main universe, which itself is a pocket universe because the actual X-Men are trapped in the 1990s. (LOL Remember Sandy Wexler!) And God only knows what they're planning with the New Mutants and whether that will also be 90s-set, thus further trapping the core of the franchise in time. (Plus there's that other X-show coming with Anna Paquin's husband and Amy Acker.) Should they reboot entirely? How long should they wait to bring it back? What of Deadpool?

I also don't know if you saw, but I did do the Cap Trilogy yesterday and wrote my thoughts on it.
Yes I saw your Captacular review. I will dig into that tomorrow when I'm not on my phone.

Fair enough.

Have Deadpool continue to do its own thing and the world of Legion should only exist on the small screen.

Has for X-Men as a whole, I refer you to a post I made a while back:

I think at this point the only way a reboot is going to happen is if Marvel gets the rights back. It would be the perfect way to the follow up on the success of the Infinity Wars phase. They can start fresh in 2020 or 2021 with a movie that introduces the original line up. Then over the course of a couple of more, you can introduce Wolverine and some other new members. Just like with the Avengers, you pick one storyline from the comics to build the universe around.

I think the only way you get a new X-Men franchise to work is that Wolverine doesn't get anymore solo movies. His character always becomes bigger than the group and I don't know how much more ground you could cover with his origin and past before he joined the group. If you do have to make them, they need to run parallel with the main X-Men group.

Now just swap out the words Marvel for 20th Century Fox and have them follow the same plan.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Have Deadpool continue to do its own thing and the world of Legion should only exist on the small screen.

Has for X-Men as a whole, I refer you to a post I made a while back:

I think at this point the only way a reboot is going to happen is if Marvel gets the rights back. It would be the perfect way to the follow up on the success of the Infinity Wars phase. They can start fresh in 2020 or 2021 with a movie that introduces the original line up. Then over the course of a couple of more, you can introduce Wolverine and some other new members. Just like with the Avengers, you pick one storyline from the comics to build the universe around.

I think the only way you get a new X-Men franchise to work is that Wolverine doesn't get anymore solo movies. His character always becomes bigger than the group and I don't know how much more ground you could cover with his origin and past before he joined the group. If you do have to make them, they need to run parallel with the main X-Men group.

Now just swap out the words Marvel for 20th Century Fox and have them follow the same plan.
Between Marvel getting F4 back or X-Men back, I'd much rather them get F4 back. I legitimately think you can do something actually great with the Fantastic Four that hasn't even been broached in the films, whereas I feel like I've seen most of what X-Men can do. And those that go off book (Legion, Logan, Deadpool) wouldn't fit in the MCU. Plus, Doctor Doom.

Furthermore, with Infinity War coming, I'd be more comfortable with a Reed Richards having a rocketship and going into space. It's more believable in the realm of their universe (especially with Spider-Man: Homecoming making super science an actual thing), as opposed to somehow between Apocalypse and DP, space suits are made for Sansa Stark and Beast.