Movie X-Men: The New Mutants - opening August 2nd 2019

On the one hand it looks kinda like a generic horror movie. On the other hand, this trailer didn't really touch on the whole mutant aspect at all, so maybe things aren't what they seem? Additionally I also like the conceptual idea of trying other types of movies in the comic book genre.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
On the one hand it looks kinda like a generic horror movie. On the other hand, this trailer didn't really touch on the whole mutant aspect at all, so maybe things aren't what they seem? Additionally I also like the conceptual idea of trying other types of movies in the comic book genre.
They blew out their budget on latex walls.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
It's worked very well in the MCU, but they've always managed to make it feel like a superhero movie even when they use another genre as a template. Some would criticize jamming a third act battle with the bad guy into a heist movie or a John Hughes film, but like I said - generally it's worked ok. At first glance this seems to go a little further away from the superhero formula into a straight horror film.

Like I said yesterday, making a superhero horror film has been Simon Kinberg's mission since he hired Josh Trank to do Fant4stic. And while that was a terrible choice on every conceivable level, it fits ok with the New Mutants. The Fox X-Universe has been fairly drab and grounded. There's nothing in this trailer that feels way out of place next to the existing films. And Bill Sienkowicz' art -which put New Mutants on the map in the 80's - was really dark and abstract, especially for that time.

Compare these two covers, just a few months apart. The first is a traditional 80's Marvel cover. The second...is not.

So if you're going to go dark and scary with any Marvel property, this is one where it works.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
It's worked very well in the MCU, but they've always managed to make it feel like a superhero movie even when they use another genre as a template. Some would criticize jamming a third act battle with the bad guy into a heist movie or a John Hughes film, but like I said - generally it's worked ok. At first glance this seems to go a little further away from the superhero formula into a straight horror film.

Like I said yesterday, making a superhero horror film has been Simon Kinberg's mission since he hired Josh Trank to do Fant4stic. And while that was a terrible choice on every conceivable level, it fits ok with the New Mutants. The Fox X-Universe has been fairly drab and grounded. There's nothing in this trailer that feels way out of place next to the existing films. And Bill Sienkowicz' art -which put New Mutants on the map in the 80's - was really dark and abstract, especially for that time.

Compare these two covers, just a few months apart. The first is a traditional 80's Marvel cover. The second...is not.

So if you're going to go dark and scary with any Marvel property, this is one where it works.
In all seriousness this could do really well. They could capitalize on the horror successes of It and to a much lesser extent, McAvoy! Plus April next year is garbage. The second biggest movie after this is Super Troopers 2 and an Overboard remake with Anna Faris. (I didn't mention Rampage for a reason.)

At the very least, I could see it doing better than Dark "Ugh, these fucking turds again" Phoenix.

Pigdango

Donator
In all seriousness this could do really well. They could capitalize on the horror successes of It and to a much lesser extent, McAvoy! Plus April next year is garbage. The second biggest movie after this is Super Troopers 2 and an Overboard remake with Anna Faris. (I didn't mention Rampage for a reason.)

At the very least, I could see it doing better than Dark "Ugh, these fucking turds again" Phoenix.
RPO comes out on 3/30. It's clear the other studios think that's going to be a $300 million plus megabuster, but I'm not so sure.

New Mutants will obviously be a better movie, and it will be more successful financially assuming it's budgeted somewhere in the neighborhood of It and Deadpool. So it only needs to make $80 million or so to be considered a huge success. Dark Phoenix will need more than double that, which might be a tall order.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
RPO comes out on 3/30. It's clear the other studios think that's going to be a $300 million plus megabuster, but I'm not so sure.

New Mutants will obviously be a better movie, and it will be more successful financially assuming it's budgeted somewhere in the neighborhood of It and Deadpool. So it only needs to make $80 million or so to be considered a huge success. Dark Phoenix will need more than double that, which might be a tall order.
I don't know what to make of RPO either. I know the book is popular but I don't know how popular it actually is. Because to the best of my knowledge, it's still targeted a niche more than mass audience. While the niche audience might fawn over it, I don't think it's as readily accessible to the average fool. And the book worked because it had the space and opportunity to explain Oasis so that it seemed more than a collection of pop culture references in a way the movie might be unable to. I don't instinctively hate the movie as you do, so I am kind of interested in seeing how it plays out though, but I'm not excited about it. And every time I see the trailer, all I can think is "you're the dimwitted fuckhead who introduced Armada in the world. I can't feel any positivity towards this knowing how much misery you've generated."

Thoughts on Rampage? Because I think between Jumanji and this, the Rock will start looking pretty sedimentary.

Pigdango

Donator
I don't know what to make of RPO either. I know the book is popular but I don't know how popular it actually is. Because to the best of my knowledge, it's still targeted a niche more than mass audience. While the niche audience might fawn over it, I don't think it's as readily accessible to the average fool. And the book worked because it had the space and opportunity to explain Oasis so that it seemed more than a collection of pop culture references in a way the movie might be unable to. I don't instinctively hate the movie as you do, so I am kind of interested in seeing how it plays out though, but I'm not excited about it. And every time I see the trailer, all I can think is "you're the dimwitted fuckhead who introduced Armada in the world. I can't feel any positivity towards this knowing how much misery you've generated."

Thoughts on Rampage? Because I think between Jumanji and this, the Rock will start looking pretty sedimentary.
Well just for comparison's sake, the first trailers for Thor 3, Justice League, and Star Wars all cleared 40 million views on YouTube. Beauty and the Beast was at 36 million. GotGv2 and Deadpool 2 35 million each. #RealSpidey 28 million.

RPO is at just 4 million

Now I know those are all established franchises, but the first Maze Runner trailer was 12 million. To find a movie with similar numbers I have to go down to Percy Jackson 2. You know what I learned today? They made a second Percy Jackson movie.

So they have a LOT of work to do to get mainstream audiences interested.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Well just for comparison's sake, the first trailers for Thor 3, Justice League, and Star Wars all cleared 40 million views on YouTube. Beauty and the Beast was at 36 million. GotGv2 and Deadpool 2 35 million each. #RealSpidey 28 million.

RPO is at just 4 million

Now I know those are all established franchises, but the first Maze Runner trailer was 12 million. To find a movie with similar numbers I have to go down to Percy Jackson 2. You know what I learned today? They made a second Percy Jackson movie.

So they have a LOT of work to do to get mainstream audiences interested.
I wonder what people who have never read or heard of RPO thought of that trailer. Because without the prior knowledge, it probably seems pretty confusing.

Pigdango

Donator
I hate you.

Jumanji looks like it could be the next Ghostbusters for Sony. There's an awful lot of thumbs down on the trailer.

I've seen and heard nothing about Rampage to the point where I'm starting to believe they're not really making it.

Pigdango

Donator
I wonder what people who have never read or heard of RPO thought of that trailer. Because without the prior knowledge, it probably seems pretty confusing.
Not just confusing, but dark and drab - Zack Snyder's Oasis. I'm really disappointed that the outside world is brighter than the Oasis. Not what I pictured at all.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Not just confusing, but dark and drab - Zack Snyder's Oasis. I'm really disappointed that the outside world is brighter than the Oasis. Not what I pictured at all.
True. Columbus should look grey, pollution filled, miserable. A world that only sees the sun maybe once every couple of days. As little CGI as possible. Then you go into Oasis and I have no problem with the night club looking grey, but there should be far more variety of fantastical wonderlands since everything either looks completely dark or like Columbus.

But even besides the look of the movie, think of the information you get from the teaser.

Columbus looks like Brazil, there's virtual reality, there's the Iron Giant, then Tom Sawyer plays as people play a racing game or whatever.

Pigdango

Donator
True. Columbus should look grey, pollution filled, miserable. A world that only sees the sun maybe once every couple of days. As little CGI as possible. Then you go into Oasis and I have no problem with the night club looking grey, but there should be far more variety of fantastical wonderlands since everything either looks completely dark or like Columbus.

But even besides the look of the movie, think of the information you get from the teaser.

Columbus looks like Brazil, there's virtual reality, there's the Iron Giant, then Tom Sawyer plays as people play a racing game or whatever.
I read the book and I couldn't make heads or tails of what the movie was about.

What's RPO?

You show Jimcy this trailer and he'll make heads and tails of what's what and how its done.

Ok, its basically a movie about this guy.

Except he's handsome and lives in a junk yard with a VR headset.

BUUUUUUTTTTT!!!!! They threw in an anime influence where he uses his ultra VR matrix world powers to fight other people with their ultra matrix VR powers in some sort of battle royale.

I can only assume the one girl falls for the super powered guy. "Your avatar Orc-Mech-Soldier is so hot and shiznit". Sex ensues, prizes are won, a white villain and black best friend are made.

This is anime 101. God damn American nerds ripping off Japanese nerds.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Ok, its basically a movie about this guy.

Except he's handsome and lives in a junk yard with a VR headset.

BUUUUUUTTTTT!!!!! They threw in an anime influence where he uses his ultra VR matrix world powers to fight other people with their ultra matrix VR powers in some sort of battle royale.

I can only assume the one girl falls for the super powered guy. "Your avatar Orc-Mech-Soldier is so hot and shiznit". Sex ensues, prizes are won, a white villain and black best friend are made.

This is anime 101. God damn American nerds ripping off Japanese nerds.
I request that the next book you read be Cline's Armada. You will thank me, yet also find yourself well within your rights to slice open my throat and bleed me like Kosher cattle.