Movie X-Men: The New Mutants - opening August 2nd 2019

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
You KNOW I can't read or write!
Well, my boy, that's why the good Lord created audiobooks. This one is read by a Mr. William Wheaton. I believe @Jacuzzi Billy experienced Armada in this fashion.

And now he is surely going to wonder why he is being summoned to an X-Men thread.

DiggerNick

Donator
It's kind of a genius idea; Blumhouse meets X-Men. Keep the budget low and the jump scares flowing and the kids will eat it up.

It's worked very well in the MCU, but they've always managed to make it feel like a superhero movie even when they use another genre as a template. Some would criticize jamming a third act battle with the bad guy into a heist movie or a John Hughes film, but like I said - generally it's worked ok. At first glance this seems to go a little further away from the superhero formula into a straight horror film.

Like I said yesterday, making a superhero horror film has been Simon Kinberg's mission since he hired Josh Trank to do Fant4stic. And while that was a terrible choice on every conceivable level, it fits ok with the New Mutants. The Fox X-Universe has been fairly drab and grounded. There's nothing in this trailer that feels way out of place next to the existing films. And Bill Sienkowicz' art -which put New Mutants on the map in the 80's - was really dark and abstract, especially for that time.

Compare these two covers, just a few months apart. The first is a traditional 80's Marvel cover. The second...is not.

So if you're going to go dark and scary with any Marvel property, this is one where it works.
That second cover is great.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/08/new-mutants-movie-promo-photo-ac-dc-highway-to-hell/
The photo Roberto da Costa/Sunspot (Henry Zaga) and Illyana Rasputin/Magik (Anya Taylor Joy) in the front, with Magik appearing to hold an awesome stuffed version of Lockheed. Beside them are Danielle Moonstar/Mirage (Blu Hunt), Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane (Maisie Williams), and Sam Guthrie/Cannonball (Charlie Heaton), all giving their best apathetic teenager faces.

This new photo is just the latest for the upcoming 20th Century Fox film, following a theatrical trailer and a recent creepy poster.

The New Mutants is inspired by the classic story “The Demon Bear Saga” and is said to be the first installment in an X-Men movies horror trilogy.

“We brought it to FOX as a trilogy of films, really all based on that long run by [Bill] Sienkiewicz, and kind of incorporates some stuff from later issues in the ‘80s,” said Boone. “These are all going to be horror movies, and they're all be their own distinct kind of horror movies. This is certainly the ‘rubber-reality’ supernatural horror movie. The next one will be a completely different kind of horror movie.”

The New Mutants opens in theaters on April 13, 2018. Other upcoming X-Men movies include the untitled Deadpool sequel on June 1, 2018, X-Men: Dark Phoenix on November 2, 2018, and Gambit on February 14, 2019.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

@Pigdango

More news from your favorite upcoming superhero movie

http://www.tracking-board.com/insid...uding-a-top-secret-new-cast-member-exclusive/

Interesting bit

Meanwhile, remember the Essex Corporation that was teased at the end of X-Men: Apocalypse? Well not only was New Mutants going to feature that mysterious company, but The Tracking Board has learned that Jon Hamm was originally going to appear as Mr. Sinister in a tag at the end of New Mutants, and Boone filmed material that led up to that reveal, only for Fox to change their minds after shooting had been completed. Now it’ll be Antonio Banderas playing an unspecified villain (one who isn’t expected to be Mr. Sinister) in the New Mutants tag. Additionally, Mr. Sinister wasn’t the only character Fox steered away from New Mutants, as Warlock appeared in early drafts of the script before the character was deemed too expensive.

LiddyRules

“Too expensive.”

Piss on this.
This is a curious one. Like with Fantastic Four, I get that Trank went out of control and no one knew what to do with him. But with this, it just seems like Fox completely changed their mind about what movie they wanted to make after filming ended. This is going to be a mess.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
, it just seems like Fox completely changed their mind about what movie they wanted to make after filming ended. This is going to be a mess.
If you want my honest opinion thats exactly what happen with Fant4stic too. How can the same exact fucking thing happen with two different movies? And i mean literally the exact same thing. From October:
I think this is Kinberg finally getting the comic book horror film he hired Josh Trank to make. And of course like Fantastic Four, this is a completely inappropriate property to do such a thing. But whatever.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
John Hamm???

I'm almost glad we didn't get a Sinister appearance now...almost.

LiddyRules

If you want my honest opinion thats exactly what happen with Fant4stic too. How can the same exact fucking thing happen with two different movies? And i mean literally the exact same thing. From October:
But Fant4stic was Fox.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
When does Marvel finally get all this shit?

LiddyRules

When does Marvel finally get all this shit?
Release both cuts. It feels like the reshoots will be 2-3 years from the original filming and probably make no sense as it's an entirely different movie.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Release both cuts. It feels like the reshoots will be 2-3 years from the original filming and probably make no sense as it's an entirely different movie.
I just don't want to see any non-MCU Marvel movies anymore. It's shit.

LiddyRules

I just don't want to see any non-MCU Marvel movies anymore. It's shit.
But what about Dark Feenix? When all is said and done, it'll probably end up costing more than Endgame.

Pigdango

Donator
Oh god I just got the sickest feeling in my stomach that you’re one of those “Release the Snyder Cut” people.

I think they should just burn the prints for New Mutants. There’s no money to be earned releasing it on Hulu.

Pigdango

Donator
Rumor is going around that Fox has given up and is dumping the film on Hulu. And it's delayed again until October.

https://movieweb.com/new-mutants-delayed-hulu/
“I do know the biggest hold back as well was from the Anya Taylor-Joy camp. Her and her people were not fond of the time they would be putting into this again"

Anna Taylor Joy made an entire feature length film of people simply walking down hallways, so if she thinks it’s a waste of time, you know it’s hopeless.