XCom Enemy Unknown: fuck that FPS and RTS bullshit, let's get back to our roots

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Link

In-game footage from YouTube:
[video=youtube;3uHHmTSDCvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHHmTSDCvA[/video]

YouTube link to discussion of the game:
[video=youtube;ocDyANHhfLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDyANHhfLs[/video]

If you're not old enough to have played the original X-Com when it first came out, or you somehow missed it the first time around, I am jealous. You can buy the game on Steam (cheap!) and play it with brand new eyes.

Seriously, the original was responsible for me failing at least two college courses, meant I spent a summer picking them back up, and it was completely worth it.

If they fuck up this restart, I am going to be hella-pissed.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Release date: October 9, 2012

XCOM is set in Earth's current era dealing with the international response to a global alien invasion. The player assumes the role of the commander of the top secret XCOM Project, the most elite army and scientific organization in the history of mankind, activated to engage in a seemingly hopeless war against an evil unknown alien life enemy force with overwhelming technological superiority.

Content is not simplified for the console versions, compared to the PC version

All ground combat is turn-based, using an isometric 3D, third-person perspective featuring fog of war, line of sight, reaction fire and destructable environments. The player directly controls a squad of four to six human soldiers or robotic units in battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Okay, I really want this. I may have to pre-order to get amazon goodies and the guide for only 13 bucks thanks to my Prime account. (best investment ever)

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Direct from Firaxis' web page:

"And now the moment so many of you have been waiting for: XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be available in North America on October 9th. (and October 12th internationally)

"Additionally, those of you who decide to pre-order the game will get guaranteed access to a launch feature that we're calling the Elite Soldier Pack. Now, I could tell you about the aesthetic upgrades you can apply to your armor with this pack, such as the Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits. I could also tell you about how you'll get access to a full color customization feature for all of the armor sets in the game. But both of those, in my humble opinion, pale in comparison to my favorite part. You know that dude from the original X-COM with the blonde hair and the cheesy flattop? That's right, you get him. (In the game that is -- he doesn't come to your house.)

"One more thing: The Special Edition. Available exclusively for PC from participating retailers, this version of the game will be available for $59.99 and will contain several goodies like an art book, fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters, XCOM insignia patch, and even some digital stuff like the soundtrack, special art, and more."

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I played the original and wasn't a really big fan. It was turn based tactical squad type game, and had too many people in the squad for my tastes. It took forever to complete one round of turns.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Someone once asked something like "Is there a game where it takes something other than massing to win ?" This is one of those games.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Someone once asked something like "Is there a game where it takes something other than massing to win ?" This is one of those games.
Yup. It's *actual* tactics and strategy. It's a management game, not a fast-twitch reflex game.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's like shining force with guns

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I believe this came out today. Just saw someone mention it alongside all of the other DLC for various other games that dropped today.

I read a feature about it in last month's Game Informer (maybe this month's) and I became extremely interested in it. "Shining Force with guns" makes me want it even more. When I get paid this will be my next purchase. THERE BETTER BE SPACE CENTAURS (I know there won't be any.)

Edit: Just noticed the second or third post - it's definitely out today.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This finally arrived today. Only had about an hour to play it, so I'm still in the tutorial, but it has promise.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Let me know what your verdict is after more hands-on playtime. I'm looking at buying either it or Resident Evil 6 (despite the horrid reviews) on Monday. Definitely leaning towards XCOM, but I'd like to hear from someone on here that has played it.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
What I can tell you so far is the interface is smooth. Very easy to equip your guys, move around the battlefield or attack. Looks to have some great customization as well, but I didn't waste any time yet to get into it.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Just finished the demo. I want to buy this but I get the feeling the real game will fuck me with no lube.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
A few things:

Chrysalids are still evil. Sectopods are fucking ridiculous monsters. It's a lot like RE6, Biv, in that it's living a horror movie. You are legitimately scared at times. I just spent about a half hour in real time circling this hill, baiting a Sectopod into following half my guys around it while the other half of my squad crept up behind the fucker and killed it.

My gameplay tends to be... slow in game like this. I take pride in accomplishing these missions with no KIAs and as few WIAs as absolutely possible.

A few pieces of advice:
1.) When you go up against the alien base, go heavy on the medikits. It is a long, long, LONG mission and you will need them all.
2.) The Support specialty may look faggy at first but believe me, you're going to learn to sing their praises. A lot.
3.) DO NOT BUILD THE HYPERWAVE MODULE UNTIL YOU'RE DAMNED GOOD AND READY. When it is built, it triggers a sequence of events that ramps up the difficulty.Take your time. Get your troops trained up. Build some cool armor. Use it and your cool guns against some ham-and-edgar aliens before you go up against the giant warships the size of a fucking continent. The Hyperwave module doesn't kick off right after it's finished being built: it takes a month or so before it gets going. But when it does, the intensity level goes up a notch.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Love it. Fuck is it hard though.

When your soldiers die it's fucking devastating.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I never played the original. VMS are you saying prior to building that thing you warn about, you can more or less do things at your own pace, enjoying the battles/decision making/base building and researching? The only thing holding me back is I don't know how rushed you are in everything. Or will shit get out of hand regardless of the construction of said thing if you just waste too much time exploring the various things in the game? Is it more suited for an "experience some things in one playthrough, try to focus on others in the next" approach? Not that the latter really turns me off, but even in a game about edge of the seat, do or die decisions I would like to check things out extensively.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Holy shit is this game hard. Love it though.

Fuck bases and fuck Chrysalids.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I never played the original. VMS are you saying prior to building that thing you warn about, you can more or less do things at your own pace, enjoying the battles/decision making/base building and researching? The only thing holding me back is I don't know how rushed you are in everything. Or will shit get out of hand regardless of the construction of said thing if you just waste too much time exploring the various things in the game? Is it more suited for an "experience some things in one playthrough, try to focus on others in the next" approach? Not that the latter really turns me off, but even in a game about edge of the seat, do or die decisions I would like to check things out extensively.
I haven't tested it yet, but I don't see how they could ramp it up too fast if you waited a little bit before building the hyperwave doohickey. I mean, they can throw bigger and bigger alien ships at you, with more and more powerful aliens, but there's a limit to how nasty things can get. If you have anything approaching a decent research and engineering base, your advancement curve will be well ahead of the aliens'. Especially if you play on Easy and run through the tutorial.

And it's not just the hyperwave. If you don't let the game hustle you into quickly completing the tasks the Nazi scientist chick puts on you, you can really take things at a slower pace. From capturing an Outsider, etc., the game really has bottlenecks that you can pace things out with.

Buy the game. Start on Easy with the tutorial, build your base in North America, and push build Satellite Uplinks as fast and as often as you can, balancing that with building actual satellites for you to uplink to and interceptors to do something about the aliens you spot.

The basic weapons you get for "free" with each of your troopers is perfectly acceptable for the first month or so of the game. Yes, research the upgraded weapons when you can, but you don't have to build them until you can actually afford to. You will start off with a pretty large group of troopers: run them through missions so you can determine what their specialties are and then develop them when you have a handle on what your force is capable of.

Satellites are the key. Satellites mean more money on an ongoing basis.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Holy shit is this game hard. Love it though.

Fuck bases and fuck Chrysalids.
The base management side is actually simplified a LOT from the original. Shit, even the tactical side is simplified. But I don't know how they could make the complicated version work on an XBox or PS3, and they obviously wanted to launch on all 3 major platforms at once with this game.

Sectopods are fucking evil. Once you have plasma weapons, Chrysalids are just annoying, not actually dangerous. The monster cannon the Sectopods have, though, is fucking retardedly powerful. It can turn any trooper not in the heaviest possible armor into ash with a single fucking shot. From halfway across the map.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The base management side is actually simplified a LOT from the original. Shit, even the tactical side is simplified. But I don't know how they could make the complicated version work on an XBox or PS3, and they obviously wanted to launch on all 3 major platforms at once with this game.

Sectopods are fucking evil. Once you have plasma weapons, Chrysalids are just annoying, not actually dangerous. The monster cannon the Sectopods have, though, is fucking retardedly powerful. It can turn any trooper not in the heaviest possible armor into ash with a single fucking shot. From halfway across the map.
No no, not my base, the alien base where they decide to throw waves of Chrysalids at you.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I have trouble keeping countries in my project. I don't build a satellite uplink until much later because there are more important things I need.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Thanks for the informative post VMS. I'll be picking this up either tonight or tomorrow morning.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
No no, not my base, the alien base where they decide to throw waves of Chrysalids at you.
Didn't mean that: my fault for putting it that way. My base comment was about the weakness of the strategic side of the game. I knew you meant the alien bases.

Sorry.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I have trouble keeping countries in my project. I don't build a satellite uplink until much later because there are more important things I need.
There is nothing more important than satellite uplinks and satellites. Period. Build uplinks, satllites, and a pair of interceptors per continent, ASAP.

You can put research on hold, you can put manufacturing on hold.

Satellites = $$$$.