XM article from Wash Times "We will not be censoring Opie and Anthony."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ001

Censure of Opie, Anthony irks fans
By Kara Rowland
June 13, 2007

The suspension of XM Satellite Radio's shock jocks Opie and Anthony may have been as controversial in some circles as the remarks that got them into hot water in the first place.

Fans angered by the suspension have, in addition to staging protests as members of the group People Against Censorship, urged XM subscribers to cancel the service, decrying the company on Internet message boards and even setting up a Web site at www.cancelxm.com.

And, in an unusual move, the D.C. company said this week it will not charge fans of the duo who dropped the service the customary $14.99 reactivation fee if they restart their subscriptions by the end of the month.

About 5,000 subscribers have canceled their subscriptions in protest of the suspension, XM spokesman Chance Patterson said. But, he pointed out, the company adds about 1 million new subscribers each quarter.

Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia will resume live broadcasts on XM on Friday. They were suspended for one month after a guest fantasized about ****** Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, first lady Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth II. The pair egged on the man, describing the "horror" of Miss Rice if she were held to the ground and punched in the face.

"There's so much speculation on the blogs and fan sites about O and A's return that we thought we'd take a minute to give you the facts directly," reads a message on XM's Web site that laid out a schedule of the duo's channel, known as "the Virus."

Yesterday, XM denied reports that the company is planning to implement a 3-second delay from now on in case the shock jocks venture into questionable territory again.

"That is not accurate," Mr. Patterson told Channel Surfing. "We will not be censoring Opie and Anthony. "

XM is currently seeking regulatory approval to merge with Sirius Satellite Radio.
" About 5,000 subscribers have canceled their subscriptions in protest of the suspension, XM spokesman Chance Patterson said. But, he pointed out, the company adds about 1 million new subscribers each quarter. "

*coughing* bullshit *resume coughing* bullshit

gynecometrist

In other words... don't re-subscribe until after July 1st and see the true churn numbers.

P

Paxton

If they won't censor OnA, why the suspension?

5000 canceled... that number is from XM who could choose to count you as canceled because of OnA or not................

I didn't get an email recently from XM recently saying how they'd give me free activation if I resub, even though I told them the reason I canceled, back then in May, was because of OnA. Maybe I wasn't counted as one of the people who canceled because of OnA....

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I wonder how they are counting subscribers. I cancelled multiple radios but
I'll bet they only consider it 1 sub. I'm also sure that they considered each
one a seperate sub when counting how many they have to show big numbers.

Fuck XM.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
If they won't censor OnA, why the suspension?

5000 canceled... that number is from XM who could choose to count you as canceled because of OnA or not................

I didn't get an email recently from XM recently saying how they'd give me free activation, even though I told them the reason was because of OnA. Maybe I wasn't counted as one of the people who canceled because of OnA....
E-mail or not: http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=the_virus (Last paragraph of first section)

"O&A fans who may have cancelled service as a result of the suspension, XM will waive the reactivation fee (normally $14.99) through June 30th. Please note that this offer is only available by calling 1-800-XMRADIO to reactivate."

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
That was the best that XM could respond with?
:huh:

Gee I wonder why I didn't get the E-mail?

mascan42

Here's the important part:
Yesterday, XM denied reports that the company is planning to implement a 3-second delay from now on in case the shock jocks venture into questionable territory again.

P

Paxton

E-mail or not: http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=the_virus (Last paragraph of first section)

"O&A fans who may have cancelled service as a result of the suspension, XM will waive the reactivation fee (normally $14.99) through June 30th. Please note that this offer is only available by calling 1-800-XMRADIO to reactivate."
I know. But for them not to send me a message may mean that I was not considered a person who canceled because of OnA. Therefore the number of canceled, cited in the article, may be inaccurately low.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Five thousand cancellations - but is that just those who were really canceled or is that including those who called to cancel but their radios were never turned off??

My opinion is that the numbers are actually higher which is why they're waiving reactivation fees until June 30, the end of the quarter. I'll call them on July 15

As for the 3-second delay .... XM is denying it, but can we trust them to tell the truth about anything?

SwimConnerSwim

O&A Token Midget
" About 5,000 subscribers have canceled their subscriptions in protest of the suspension, XM spokesman Chance Patterson said. But, he pointed out, the company adds about 1 million new subscribers each quarter. "

*coughing* bullshit *resume coughing* bullshit
Howie math alert... "About 1 million new subscribers each quarter" wouldn't that mean roughly 4 million new subscribers per year? They've never had 4 million in one year.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Howie math alert... "About 1 million new subscribers each quarter" wouldn't that mean roughly 4 million new subscribers per year? They've never had 4 million in one year.

Actually, that sounds about right. 3 years ago when O and A went to XM, there were approximatly 2 million subs. I think there is a little more than 10 million right now, which wouuld be approx 4 million per year, give or take the ones that cancel.

And 5,000 subs cancelling. That might be true also, but what they didnt put in that report, is that a lot of the subs that cancelled had multiple radios on there account.

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
I wonder how they are counting subscribers. I cancelled multiple radios but
I'll bet they only consider it 1 sub. I'm also sure that they considered each
one a seperate sub when counting how many they have to show big numbers.

Fuck XM.
After XM has clearly not been willing to cancel subs, hung up on people trying to cancel, etc. you know their tactics are shady. I'm calling Bravo Sierra on Mr. Chance here. Sub numbers are all they care about and the company has proven they will take drastic measures to keep those numbers up. If anyone thinks they wouldn't have a PR guy lie to the Washington Times, I think that person is way off, maaaaannnn

Burger

Fuck ALL Forms of Censorship
Actually, that sounds about right. 3 years ago when O and A went to XM, there were approximatly 2 million subs. I think there is a little more than 10 million right now, which wouuld be approx 4 million per year, give or take the ones that cancel.

And 5,000 subs cancelling. That might be true also, but what they didnt put in that report, is that a lot of the subs that cancelled had multiple radios on there account.
That means O&A have 16M listeners then right? They are obviously accountable for every single sub XM has gained and two people listen to each radio five hours per day. Hoo hoo Robin

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
That means O&A have 16M listeners then right? They are obviously accountable for every single sub XM has gained and two people listen to each radio five hours per day. Hoo hoo Robin

Dont we all wish that was the case.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator

And they've only had over 1 million in a quarter once in their entire history.

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
I think I heard somewhere that XM counts each sub as 1.5 listeners.

Iostcause

I would say 5000 is probably about right. Only 5628 usernames on wackbag. I doubt they're all unique. Most of the other message boards are dwarfed by that. The average R&F fan probably didn't cancel. The average 202 listener is not a wackbagger, nor a pest if "most popular channel on XM" designation is to be believe. At the most, you're probably talking about 10,000 people across all the message boards, and it'd take a ton more than that to be the most listened channel. I'm sure Ethel has at least 50,000 regular listeners or thereabouts. :p

MJ001

I would say 5000 is probably about right. Only 5628 usernames on wackbag. I doubt they're all unique. Most of the other message boards are dwarfed by that. The average R&F fan probably didn't cancel. The average 202 listener is not a wackbagger, nor a pest if "most popular channel on XM" designation is to be believe. At the most, you're probably talking about 10,000 people across all the message boards, and it'd take a ton more than that to be the most listened channel. I'm sure Ethel has at least 50,000 regular listeners or thereabouts. :p

I thought the same initially, but if you look back at that massive "roll call" thread, a lot, if not most, of the people cancelling were cancelling 3+ at a time. I know I saw some as high as 10-15 multiple times so maybe it's somewhere around 15-20,000 instead of the 30-40 we all thought. It HAS to be more than 5,000 though.

And either way, there is no way they are getting 1 million new subs every friggin quarter. I thought Sirius was the bullshiting company and XM "always used the facts"...

Scuba Steve

We Will Never Forget XM202. Suck My Fucking Cock
We would all like to believe that, but we also know that many subscribers were ball-less asses and didn't want to make a statement with us

I am getting really fucking sick of the bashing that is going on here against people who did not cancell. Some people are not mindless zombies and did not cancell because they were told. They did not want to give up ron and fez.

I cancelled but I am not on here everyday bashing the people we know that did not cancell. This is a time when we should be unified and not ripping eachother apart. Come on...

I would say "about 5,000" means somewhere closer to 6k, and if you multiply that by the multiple accounts, it probably brings you somewhere near the 30,000 subs rumors we all heard floating around.

I am glad to see the sentence "we will not be censoring Opie and Anthony". Its the statement I have been waiting to see.

Now if I could only figure out why the statement feels empty? And why it hasn't given me the confidence I'd like to be feeling. Anyone else?

I am getting really fucking sick of the bashing that is going on here against people who did not cancell. Some people are not mindless zombies and did not cancell because they were told. They did not want to give up ron and fez.

I cancelled but I am not on here everyday bashing the people we know that did not cancell. This is a time when we should be unified and not ripping eachother apart. Come on...
Um steve....those of us who DID cancel are getting "really fucking sick of" being called mindless zombies.

I just wonder where the rumor about a three second delay came from. Even that said, there is a dump button. Always has been. The thing that matters is that it's in the studio under the host's discretion, not in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.