XM Home Antenna Extension Cord?

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
Gave my friend my old MyFi to use in his place but he lives in a basement apartment. Is there an extension for the home kit antenna? Or are there any other ways to get reception down in a basement (besides XM online)?

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
this is a toughie. There aren't a lot of options for that teeny weeny coax they use. perhaps an adapter from the xm connector to BNC and back is available allowing you to use RG58 or something.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Not that I know of. He'd have to order a receiver with a longer cable online :action-sm They make kits for businesses.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Take the original wire, cut it and strip both ends about two inches. The first metal strip you'll see is the ground. push this back onto itself and you'll see a white or clear plastic coating on the main signal wire. Strip the clear coating off the middle or signal wire about 1one inch back. Do this to both sides of the wire that you cut. Now slide two peices of shrink tubing on both ends. Take a piece of thin wire about the length of the extension you need and solder or twist it onto the signal wire on both ends. now slide one peice of shrink tubing onto the connection and shrink it so it completely covers the signal wire. Now when that cools tak another peice of thin wire the same length and connect the grounds together. Shrink these two connections with the last peices of tubing. If the connections are correctly connected you will now get a perfect signal on your unit and you will have an extension. I have fixed at least twenty of these antennas and this always works. Just make sure the ground and signal wires don't touch.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Take the original wire, cut it and strip both ends about two inches. The first metal strip you'll see is the ground. push this back onto itself and you'll see a white or clear plastic coating on the main signal wire. Strip the clear coating off the middle or signal wire about 1one inch back. Do this to both sides of the wire that you cut. Now slide two peices of shrink tubing on both ends. Take a piece of thin wire about the length of the extension you need and solder or twist it onto the signal wire on both ends. now slide one peice of shrink tubing onto the connection and shrink it so it completely covers the signal wire. Now when that cools tak another peice of thin wire the same length and connect the grounds together. Shrink these two connections with the last peices of tubing. If the connections are correctly connected you will now get a perfect signal on your unit and you will have an extension. I have fixed at least twenty of these antennas and this always works. Just make sure the ground and signal wires don't touch.
Or for $31 you can buy a 50ft extension cable from www.myradiostore.com

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
or do what I do for about 5 dollars and ten minutes of work.
True, but after working in the auto biz for so many years I have learned that
some people just can't always do those type of things and need help.
There's nothing wrong with that. We all have our specialties and splicing cable
may not be what he can do. That's why they sell cables like that.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Myradiostore.com is always my first stop, I just didn't do a good job at searching around the site i guess.
Or for $31 you can buy a 50ft extension cable from www.myradiostore.com
or do what I do for about 5 dollars and ten minutes of work.
True, but after working in the auto biz for so many years I have learned that
some people just can't always do those type of things and need help.
There's nothing wrong with that. We all have our specialties and splicing cable
may not be what he can do. That's why they sell cables like that.
My friend is very capable of these things so I will share all scenarios with him. The repeater sounds like a cool idea though. Or the 100ft cord.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I used a commercial antenna in a setup where I put the antenna bout 75 feet away. It uses normal coax, with adapters for the smaller coax (RG-58)

Also bought from Ziggy. It's amplified & kind of expensive... but I thought that i may be looking at an even longer run.

All you'll want to consider is here: http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-signal-distribution/

ed: splicing the cable would work, just don't short it or mangle the cable. Have fun with that. I've done it a million times with all kinds of stuff in a pinch & dislike doing it.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
the problem with cutting and splicing is you open yourself up to loss of shielding. There is not much insulation on there anyway and you will lose some signal for every foot of coax with perfect conditions. use the shortest extension possible to keep the signal strength at the highest.

blakesnake00

The name is Snake.
Jun 5, 2005
peoria Il
Ive had the repeater for at least year and I love it .I have a large house and it works everywhere.Im running 2 radios ( mifi and inno) off of it and it works great.