XM kept all my info on file

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I just called to resub and they still had all my information, including my credit card number on file! I cancelled a month ago. If i never signed back up, what do they do with this information? I would expect them to treat my resub exactly like a new customer, asking my name, address, phone and billing info.

In actuality, it was like "ok, Mr. ___, your account is back on, do you still live on _____ road and are you still using the Mastercard ending in _____?

WTF!

Is that legal?

MJ001

Apr 24, 2007
Detroit
Once you give them your info it's theirs for life.

Feb 20, 2007
You should of just looked at your info online, its still there. It is for me.

SwimConnerSwim

O&A Token Midget
Feb 20, 2007
New Jersey
It is a common practice for online retailers to retain your CC info when you order. I do it all the time for work related things. Makes it a lot easier then having to dig out the card all the time. It's less a question of ethics and more a question about security. As long as it is secure I don't have a problem with it.

alt130

Frunkis.net
Oct 14, 2003
Vancouver
Also, keep in mind that if you charged back any prior payments, they would need all of that info to fight it. Expect any business to keep everything they have on you for at least a year, if not more. They really don't have a choice.

The only illegal and/or unethical thing would be to do something shitty with the info. Merely sitting on it is called record keeping.

M

Mokken

I just called to resub and they still had all my information, including my credit card number on file! I cancelled a month ago. If i never signed back up, what do they do with this information? I would expect them to treat my resub exactly like a new customer, asking my name, address, phone and billing info.

In actuality, it was like "ok, Mr. ___, your account is back on, do you still live on _____ road and are you still using the Mastercard ending in _____?

WTF!

Is that legal?
Very common practice, especially considering you just cancelled a month ago.

hypes

Flying over your heads
Sep 23, 2004
Iowa
It's common for any subscription-based company to keep customer records for up to three years and payment info for up to one year...

-s h

Wally1985

Lil' Jimmy Makes Me LOL
Mar 14, 2005
it's all going to big brother maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Morris Plains, New Jersey
Yes, it is very common practice for billing systems to keep all transaction history of every customer they have dealt with, regardless if that customer is a past customer or present customer.

H

Hog of Plenty

is it ethical of them to keep your credit card info?
You really shouldn't look so deep injto this. A lot of companieskeep your information in situations like this. ONline shopping, mmos. It just happens that way.

Warren

Fucking Fan
May 7, 2006
Kilgore, Texas
I work at a hotel. I have the CC # of people who stayed there one night 5 years ago S.O.P

skione

OA Fan From Way Back!
Nov 17, 2005
Your Mom's Box
besides if you put yourself in XM's shoes wouldn't you take the prudent action that a lot of people would want to resub after the suspension?

O

OpiegotFingered

ur a idiot