XM Not Interested In Imus: XM-Sirius Merged Company plans to stagnate

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
"We're not actually looking to add much of any new high-priced content to the platforms," Parsons said. "We have what we consider to be a very high-quality set of offerings that cost us an adequate amount."

XM Not Interested In Imus - 11/27 - Reuters reports that DC's XM Satellite Radio is not interested in signing Don Imus nor will it seek more high-priced talent when it gets approval for its merger with rival Sirius Satellite Radio...
Hollywood Reporter

XM eschews Imus, other high-priced talent
Reuters

Nov 27, 2007
NEW YORK -- XM Satellite Radio Holdings is not interested in signing Don Imus nor will it seek more high-priced talent when it gets approval for its merger with rival Sirius Satellite Radio.

"Imus appears to have found a home that he's happy with, and he's back on the air, so I don't see any value from our standpoint," XM Satellite chairman Gary Parsons said Monday at the Reuters Media Summit in New York. "I don't see any interest in that at this time."

Imus signed with ABC Radio Networks, owned by Citadel Broadcasting Corp. after being fired by CBS Radio more than six months ago because of an uproar over an on-air racial slur.

XM Satellite and Sirius hope to get regulatory approval for their proposed merger by the end of the year.

Parsons said the combined companies should have a broad appeal with channels for shock jock Howard Stern, celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and Martha Stewart, as well as sports, music and talk programming.

"We're not actually looking to add much of any new high-priced content to the platforms," Parsons said. "We have what we consider to be a very high-quality set of offerings that cost us an adequate amount."

judoGTI

))) 202MX (((
Aug 30, 2004
Yeah no joke, Imus blows... even though he is a friend of the show and Bartlet (sp?) is hilarious and a good fan of the show. Imus couldn't be getting anything near decent ratings.... I dont even think we'll be on his new station long. At least not in that slot.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
interesting. I wonder if that 'nothing new' attitude in the story contributed to both XM and Sirius stock dropping a bit through todays huge rally

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I have to agree. The companies don't need any more high priced content. They need to support the content they have first.

Feb 20, 2007
I like how XM mentions Hoo Hoo but not the boys. Yea, I see speculation threads on this all the time, but just as I say, I don't know what will be coming of this.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Opie has made a couple of positive references to Howard in the past week, too. Nothing he hasn't already said in the past, but it isn't balanced with anything negative this time.
I like that. There is absolutely no reason both shows shouldn't be able to work for the same company and serve their respective audiences. Other than the arrogant jewish reason it didn't happen years ago.
If that history repeats itself, it's good to see evidence that O&A isn't contributing to the outcome.

The merger is going to happen, so hopefully everyone will finally get together and make some good shows. Fire the current lawyers and hire some that will defend good comedy.
The business changes constantly, I'd like to see a change for the better this time!

bigrrrr

Nov 23, 2007
The longer this carries on the less chance it has of going through, imo. They drag it out so people lose interest and it doesnt make a big wave when they reject it.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
XM and Sirius won't be bringing on anymore talent until well after the merger. Reason is that after the merger they are going to be too busy "Cutting the fat" before bringing on someone new.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
would a howard o and a show work? If there was ever a day,,,,,,O and A having hoo hoo in studio as a guest? Imagine that?

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
Howard would never be a guest on O&A, he essentially refuses to do any other radio show at Sirius. He went on Jim Breuer once and he talked about cancelling day of. I know back in the day Howard had the whole gag order on the boys but O&A have spent alot more effort bashing Howard than he ever did them. He could care less.

And I have noticed a serious increase in Howard respect over the past month or so. I have been speculating for awhile they are trying to position themselves for a place in the merged company. I never listened to O&A back when Howard had the whole gag order but apparently it was because he believed they were doing a show similiar to his and he didnt want them bashing his show when they were essentially ripping it off. I can't say what their show was like back then. But these days it is not at all like Stern's. Clearly Stern was probably their biggest influence but they have done a very good job establishing their own identity.

What i am saying is the 2 shows could exist at the same company without clashing I believe. But it is O&A who have to do the ass kissing. Howard is established. And even though O&A were there first, Stern is satellite radio. The merger is happening because of him. It seems that it is going to be all about Mel Karmizan when they merge, and I believe Howard has some serious pull with him. I think if Mel did not have to share O&A with FM they would have a much better chance.

Howard just does not care anymore. He is over all the bullshit. He is not the type to keep someone from a job. The only problem is if he really has a personal grudge against the boys for something he thought was out of line. I do not know of any personal grudge. I think he really does not give a shit about them. Which is a good sign for them.

I think everyone will be satisfied if O&A were off FM and on a merged satellite company with Stern

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I love how the heads of both companies keep talking about the merge like its a done deal yet there is still a very real possibility that it may not even happen.

Speaking of which, when the fuck is there going to be official word already ?

Nov 5, 2002
Washington D.C.
I love how the heads of both companies keep talking about the merge like its a done deal yet there is still a very real possibility that it may not even happen.
No shit. The above article that started this thread talked about "when" they get approval for the merger, not "if". I'm still holding out hope there won't be a satellite radio monopoly.

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
There will be a monopoly. Even if it does not go through they will sue and they will win. Did anyone hear about how allegedly someone was sending emails against the merger saying they were someone when that someone knew nothing of it.
Like congress gets an email from Jane SMith proposing the merger but someone asks Jane Smith and Jane smith is all like "what the hell are you talking about I aint send no email"

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Howard is obviously not going to be a guest of o and a,,,I said could you imagine what that would be lke?

Shit they won't even be in the same building let alone the same room...imagine if o and a 's studio was next to sterns LOL,,,Howards little boys would take a nice daily beating :) "like a cat toying with a mouse."

edit= actually they would be in the same building right? "Are we going over there, or are they going to come over here?" -Opie

bigrrrr

Nov 23, 2007
Who cares about Imus?
If theres one thing Hoohoo is right about.. its Imus.

He's a boring, marble mouthed, jerkoff.

R.BuddDwyer

Feb 2, 2006
Philly
Frrrr'nuff sir, but I hope you weren't for his firing for what he did though.