XM Online in Firefox Mac version

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
So I try to load up XM online and the player won't play. I installed the plugin for Windows media with no luck. It just loads and loads and never plays. Any other way to get XM online besides their crappy player?

And don't say widgets, I'm still running shitty Jaguar.

TheICON

Showstopper, Main Eventer
Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
Safari doesn't run it, I imagine? Maybe a browser switch MIGHT work? Or is there a Windows Media Player for Mac? I'm sure there would be for all the WMV files... If so, I know XM has something where you can listen directly in Media Player with the little XM tab on the right.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Jaguar will only run Safari 1.0. Almost nothing works in that version. Once I get Tiger installed I have a hunch none of this will matter.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Install Flip4Mac on your mac and it should solve 99% of your Windows media problems. I have the full version that defaults ALL windows media to Quicktime player. This is awesome for a couple of reasons:
1) All windows streams (audio and video) dl to Quicktime player so you can "Save As…" at any point in the stream
2) When I listen to XM live in the morning, I can pause the show Tivo style; I don't miss any of the show that way. I can even save the stream and convert to mp3 later. Or I can let it lead a little bit and fast forward thru shit I don't wanna hear (like Kenny or Roland singing, for example).

Here's the site: http://www.flip4mac.com/
I don't even have Windows Media Player for mac on my system anymore.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I use the XM Radio Online player on my Macintosh computer?
XM Radio Online supports Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) or later with installed Windows Media® Components for QuickTime by Flip4Mac. Click here for more information about this FREE download.

Although we don't support running the XM Radio Online player on older versions of Mac OS X, we have had reports of success by installing Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X. Click here for more information about this FREE download.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
does anyone know of any ways to listen other that don't require downloading? They just put a new Mac at my desk, and I don't have "authorization" to install anything. =/

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Install Flip4Mac on your mac and it should solve 99% of your Windows media problems. I have the full version that defaults ALL windows media to Quicktime player. This is awesome for a couple of reasons:
1) All windows streams (audio and video) dl to Quicktime player so you can "Save As…" at any point in the stream
2) When I listen to XM live in the morning, I can pause the show Tivo style; I don't miss any of the show that way. I can even save the stream and convert to mp3 later. Or I can let it lead a little bit and fast forward thru shit I don't wanna hear (like Kenny or Roland singing, for example).

Here's the site: http://www.flip4mac.com/
I don't even have Windows Media Player for mac on my system anymore.

Flip 4 Mac is nice. But XM is apparently in that 1% that doesn't work for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I use the XM Radio Online player on my Macintosh computer?
XM Radio Online supports Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) or later with installed Windows Media® Components for QuickTime by Flip4Mac. Click here for more information about this FREE download.

Although we don't support running the XM Radio Online player on older versions of Mac OS X, we have had reports of success by installing Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X. Click here for more information about this FREE download.
Well there's the answer. I'm running 10.2 Jaguar. ::hammer::arrrh:::hammer::arrrh:

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
you can try opera. that may work for you. Though if its not working on firefox it probably wont work. But its worth a try. Its a nice simple browser.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I got the old version of WMP and its working fine now. I guess Flip4Mac doesn't like the old OS.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I got the old version of WMP and its working fine now. I guess Flip4Mac doesn't like the old OS.
Did you run Software Update on Mac OSX? It's to your top left under the Apple icon Menu. That might fix some things. If not, I'd suggest you upgrade to at least Tiger.

Additionally, if anyone out there needs a copy of Tiger, IM me. I'll send you one (but you gotta pay for postage and the cost of a CD).

T

TroutSnouts

flip for mac brah, it works but has some wierd problems. Mac still rules though.

SteveSteele

1 dog's goin this way..1 dog's goin that way...
Nov 22, 2004
New Rochelle, NY
Don,

Once you get Tiger installed and run the software updater, D/L and install Flip4Mac like Stellar says. It works perfectly and thats how I listen every morning as my brand new Inno is recording the show (I usually wake up in time for the XM side).

One thing, if you'd like to save the Quick Time file, you are going to have to pay the $30 to Apple and upgrade to QT Pro. Do it. It is so worth the cash.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I upgraded and am using Flip, but every time I put the window for XM online in the dock it pauses the stream. It's also very choppy. But I guess thats just how things go.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I'm having major fucking problems with Flip and XMRO.

First, my Mac's stats:
Mac Book Pro
Leopard 10.5.7
Firefox 3.0.11

Every fucking time I pop out the XMRO player on the website in Firefox, there is no controller thing (volume, etc) and the stream plays for like a minute and then starts over! It's killing me. Someone please help.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Screw it. Flip4Mac is such fucking garbage. I switched to old Windows Media Player for Mac and it works.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Yeah, you have to use windows media player now. Sirius changed the feed and it doesn't work with Macs.
Thanks a lot... I totally missed this! What a bunch of cocksuckers!
It's not that I really mind using the old WMP, but still. Why WOULDN'T they want to appeal to even MORE users? This Windows only shit is so stupid.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
Thanks a lot... I totally missed this! What a bunch of cocksuckers!
It's not that I really mind using the old WMP, but still. Why WOULDN'T they want to appeal to even MORE users? This Windows only shit is so stupid.
Iphone, that's why. Forces the Mac people to upgrade to the $2.99 "premium" feed.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I have this issue with Nascar Trackpass on mine, and I'm running Leopard. Some shit just don't work with a mac.