OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

XM ONLY ....why the haters ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Archive' started by Dickieboy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Dickieboy

Dickieboy Im An ASS

I dont understand why some people on this board are so against an XM only show ??

It's the way it was and In my opinion the show seriously suffered when the boys went back to Free radio , Not because the boys did sanything wrong but because they were sooooo limited as to what kind of show they could do . O & A are the best of trying to make something out of nothing and have been just ok in the attempt to get around FCC regulations but it just isnt working and the frequent stations dropping them is proof .

I know it will cut there audience and I hate to compare them to the Douchebag Howard , But his show seems to be very content with a Sirius show only and his fans dont stress one day about it .

An XM show is where the boys belong at this point in their career with no worries about FCC fines and double talking because words like " pissing " are being dumped out of .

But some people on here think anyone who says they want an XM only show is a troll or stupid and Im here to say that I am a consumer and deserve to express my opinion about something I pay for .

Just my opinion , Im sure some of you wont agree .:arrrh:

2. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Because they want to be the number 1 show in the country. Howard has been there, done that. He's only out for a payday.

Anyone who works in a creative medium wants their product to be heard by as many people as possible. This is and never will be possible on any subscription based radio.

When the show came back on XM, that was the only option. Now there are other options, why limit the show to 8 million potential listeners, when there are 300 million out there?

It doesn't make you a troll or stupid to want an XM only show, just selfish.

3. d00mz

d00mz Registered User

FM is dead. It's a simple fact the boys are just gonna have to accept. *pods, satellite, and the overcommercialization has killed terrestrial FM radio.

4. BaLZaC~308

BaLZaC~308 ONE OF THE COOL KIDS

Don is wise

Id rather an xm only show than an FM only show BUT I will be around and listen either way

5. mike3152

mike3152 Remembering Lacy. Linger Longer.

I'm with ya dickieboy. I feel the same way, and to think that O&A are happy on FM, one would have to be ignoring the fact that they are miserable and can't wait to get to the XM side almost everyday. The ignorant nonsense dumps for things that should not be dumped causes the show to come to a screaching hault and puts the boys in a "who cares" mood for the rest of the show. FM radio is not the medium for creative talent like O&A. The rules are to constrictive and it prevents them from doing thier best.

6. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

Why is it selfish? Because people have to pay for it? I could easily give up my XM unit and just listen on terrestrial. If it were better on terrestrial then I would push for them to go back to terrestrial period. I don't like having to pay for my XM unit every month. It isn't an expense I need. I don't ever change my radio from 202 ever and if I want to listen to music I play mp3's because the XM music channels are only so so. So how can it be selfish?

7. ChimneyFish

ChimneyFish Come home...to Simple Rick's

< ~~~~~~~~~~ selfish prick

But I do understand why they went back, and why they want to succeed in terrestrial.
    There are just too many mongoloids out there who will never pay for radio.

I just think that the show was at its' best when they were on XM.(And yes, I am including the NEW days. Heretical, I know.)

But alas....I wish the boys nothing but success in their endeavor.:icon_cool

8. mike3152

mike3152 Remembering Lacy. Linger Longer.

:clap::clap::clap:

9. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

QFT!

Growing the audience is what OPIE, YIMMI, and ANTHONY want, so it's what I also want.

Hey, I wish they were on in afternoons so I could participate like the WNEW days but if ONA want mornings, so they can be more competative, then I'll back them up.

If I sit and whine like a bitch, "I want an afternoon show 'cause it's better for ME!", then I'm just a selfish cunt.

...that's what it's all about, selfish whiners. :action-sm (disclaimer wave)

10. cigarsandscotch

cigarsandscotch Smoke and drink up.

Given the history of the show, I like to knows that they have as many sticks in the fire as possible. IMO O&A on XM is a little shakey if XM and Sirius merge. I think the fan backlash during the suspension raised some white, bushy, caterpillar eyebrows and gave O&A a little clout, but Is anyone 100% confident that Mel won't give O&A the boot the first chance he has? Mel is a good businessman, but he also has Howard's supple nose implanted in his ass. Howard is his biggest cheerleader, he has made him a lot of money, so Mel he wants to keep him happy. I don't doubt for a second that Howard will continue to undermine and sabotage the show. The bottom line is....... more options, more gooder.

11. Dickieboy

Dickieboy Im An ASS

If wanting the hosts of the show I listen to everday happy and at the top of thier game without restrictions is selfish Then call me selfish for wanting the best of O & A coming out of my radio and it's when they are on XM is when this happens .

look , they dont suck on Free FM , Free FM sucks and they are becoming a product of it because of the rules .

Howie cant do a show on todays Free FM and would be suffereing the same fate ..It is sad but it's a fact that the Free FM side is dead ...literally .

Im not selfish , I just want the best fior the show I love and from 6-9 isnt what that is .

12. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

You're not getting it, Dude;
    To ONA, they are happier when they are ALSO on FM, growing their audience, not just stagnating on XM, which is shaky at best with the merger looming.

You act like they are being forced on FM. THEY decided it's best for THEM to be on both. If they lost all the FM stations, they would NOT be "happy" as you say you want them to be.

"I just want the best fior the show I love and from 6-9 isnt what that is "

So you know what's best for the show? More than Opie and Anthony?

Maybe you should send in a resume to fill the O&A Show manager position?

13. OandA420

OandA420 Registered User

Maybe it is because of all the talking O and A did before they came to FM. How they were going to be able to succeed, even with all the rules. How there show was going to make Howards look like shit.

I hate to admit this, but going back to XM only is sort of admitting defeat. They had their chance to win the game, but they blew it.

I mean if they went back and played the clips of some of the stuff they said when they first came on krock, it would be crazy. They talked a big game, a big big game. Now here they stand about 2 months away from being not renewed. Who knows what will happen to them at XM. Could be podcast's here we come

14. ruckstande

Okay here is the point though, if O&A get kicked off of satellite because of this shakiness, who is going to get to hear them on terrestrial?

15. BuffaloTom

BuffaloTom Registered User

Fail.

I'm someone who has listened to every second of their show for about 7 years now, but come on. They're not going to be number 1. They've lost DC, Philly, Detroit, Dallas, Columbus, etc. At some point in life there is no more moving up that can happen and you just have to accept your place.

16. mongoose

mongoose Resident Melissaologist

O&A spent the first nearly 2 years on XM convincing us that terrestrial radio sucked donkey dick.

I was convinced.

Nothing that has happened in the past 2 years has shown me that what they were telling us in the first 2 was incorrect. Terrestrial sucks balls.

That said, I'll listen to them in whatever form the show takes.

17. ruckstande

Yes I'll listen to them whatever they are on but they are no longer in Philly so if they lose the XM side which is available everywhere then what? Am I forced then to listen to prerecorded shows from newsgroups?

18. alclark

alclark ...

May 16 - June 14, 2007 demonstrated why terrestrial is important.

19. buttwax

buttwax Registered User

they would be better off finding a new medium to broadcast from if the merger goes through.mel is going to ruin satalite radio with 20min commercial breaks and getting rid of xm's music channels,replaced with sirius' crap stations.i don't know what that medium is but i think they should get as far away from xm/sirius as possible.howie and mel are going to destroy satalite radio.

20. Biff Hardslab

Biff Hardslab I have the t-shirt

I try not to comment on the show because most of my opinions would not be popular. This being a fan board, I respect that and keep to myself about this stuff and hope that someday I can go back to being a diehard fan too.

But since you asked....I'll tell you why...PRIDE. They were supposed to conquer sattellite radio, didn't happen fast enough. They were supposed to save FM radio, didn't happen. If they go back to XM only, they will have to admit defeat and take the heat of not doing what they said they were going to do...again. Their egos can't take much more of it. Sure, they'll spin it like it was their choice or something they wanted, but who's going to buy that? Then the fans look like idiots because publicly they will either have to agree with them, making them look like doped up sheep, or dissagree, making them look like haters. No one wins.

I'm a selfish cunt. I want a WNEW quality show (where they sounded like they were having fun and sounded like they were alive) on XM (where they can say almost anything they want). That would mean moving back to afternoons on XM only. Its not going to happen, because of Pride.

[​IMG]

21. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Many people over glorify the WNEW show.

While there were some classic, memorable moments, there were MANY days where they just replayed yesterdays' show (waaaaaa, where are they?!):icon_roll

...or they played music 'cause they were mad at the boss or listeners (waaaaaaa! I can't believe they're doing this to us!) :icon_roll

....or the show just never got off the ground that day (waaaaa! they're not trying to make me laugh!!!waaaaa!):icon_roll

Overall, we get WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better quality these days from them than the WNEW days by their own admission.

WNEW show = overated.

Just trying to keep it in perspective.

22. DeltaPin

DeltaPin Well-Known Member
    Donator

There will also be no new "significant" FM markets coming on board until the whole merger issue is put to bed. No one isgoing to sign them if Mel is going to pull the plug on shared talent in several months.

23. bucket-of-aids

bucket-of-aids cunt-kicked

Either way, just a couple months left on FM, right?

I like to hear more O and A. With the FM show I get less O and A and more commercials. It's that simple. So I don't think it makes me selfish or a disloyal fan to want to hear more O and A than less.

24. boardsofcanada

boardsofcanada You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan

O&A is not a show that has mass appeal like howards. Howards show was dishonest, hacky, far less vulgar, less intellectual, it didn't have obscure references, the list goes on and on. It was far more palatable to the masses. People need to be spoon fed.

O&A has a very specific type of audience, and not everyone wants to hear extreme, dark humor. With that said i don't think they'll ever be number 1 every where, but thats fine with me because people like Preston and Steve, Mancunt, etc are the ones that get big audiences. It would be nice for them to be the most well known radio show ever, but i dont see it happening.

25. n2fooz

n2fooz Registered User

:cussing Damn I miss the XM only shows!!!