XP Home --> XP Pro

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Here's the deal. The PC I am typing on right now has XP Home on it. It's upgraded to SP2 with all the Windows Updates.

I have an XP Pro w/ SP2 install CD with a key. I'd like to upgrade this PC to XP Pro, so I can setup Remote Desktop and access it from my laptop PC.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or, do I have to actually have one of those XP Pro "upgrade" CD's that seems to cost $100-$150 everywhere?

I've poked around via Goggle, and haven't found any definitive answers.

Davel23

Feb 26, 2005
Run the install of the XP Pro CD, select the existing install for the destination and don't do any formatting. That will upgrade it to XP Pro.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Stick with XP home and use UltraVNC - much better IMO and has a FTP style File Transfer.

OR

If you have a brand-name computer like dell, gateway, hp, etc - you can actually use the respective Pro disk and it installs beautifully and doesnt ask for activation. A little trick I've learned from doing massive amounts of reinstalls.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Stick with XP home and use UltraVNC - much better IMO and has a FTP style File Transfer.

OR

If you have a brand-name computer like dell, gateway, hp, etc - you can actually use the respective Pro disk and it installs beautifully and doesnt ask for activation. A little trick I've learned from doing massive amounts of reinstalls.
This or something like radmin is probably your better choice. Remote Desktop on XP Pro stinks. It is good if you are running something like a terminal server for end users to work from home, but if you are looking to help out a family member, it is awful.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Ok, I ended up finding the answer. Luckily, the CD I have is the full retail version of XP Pro SP2. It allows an upgrade installation. So, I did it...

And now the problem. The fucking CD has a scratch and I got a file copy error. So, the PC will sit on that screen until my buddy drops off another XP Pro CD for me in the morning. Luckily, he's got a few of them.

But, it looks like this is gonna work for me.

Thanks for the UltraVNC recommendation. But, it's a company laptop and they get kinda funny about installing software like that. But, we already use Remote Desktop, so I can just add an entry for my personal PC.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Ok, I ended up finding the answer. Luckily, the CD I have is the full retail version of XP Pro SP2. It allows an upgrade installation. So, I did it...

And now the problem. The fucking CD has a scratch and I got a file copy error. So, the PC will sit on that screen until my buddy drops off another XP Pro CD for me in the morning. Luckily, he's got a few of them.

But, it looks like this is gonna work for me.

Thanks for the UltraVNC recommendation. But, it's a company laptop and they get kinda funny about installing software like that. But, we already use Remote Desktop, so I can just add an entry for my personal PC.
Ewww.... A corporate laptop with XP Home..... :huh:

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
NO...

Our home desktop computer came preloaded XP Home.

My work laptop has XP Pro.