ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Market Watch

Yahoo adding features to email
By MarketWatch
Last Update: 10:42 PM ET Aug 26, 2007
PrintPrint EmailE-mail Subscribe to RSSSubscribe to RSS DisableDisable Live Quotes

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Yahoo Inc. will introduce new features Monday for its Web-based email program, including software that allows computer users to type text messages on a keyboard and send them directly to a cell phone, according to media reports.

Yahoo mail's enhancements make it easier to send email, instant messages or text messages from a single Web site and will be available to users in the U.S., Canada, India and the Philippines, Associated Press reported.
Sunnyvale-based Yahoo bills the changes as the most significant overhaul of Yahoo Mail since its launch in 1997, AP said.

The new version replaces a one-year-old beta program and adds new features, including text messaging, a more comprehensive search engine and an easier to read and edit contacts database, according to the report. It allows users to click on a contact and then select whether to send that person an email, instant message or text message, according to the report.
Users who don't want the upgrades, or whose computers are too slow to handle them, can remain with the current version, AP said
The changes come during fierce competition among providers of free, Web-based email services, AP said. Yahoo and Microsoft Corp.'s

In March, Yahoo announced that it would provide unlimited storage space, and earlier this month Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft said Hotmail would increase free storage from 2 to 5 gigabytes, according to the report.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Yahoo adding features to email
By MarketWatch
Last Update: 10:42 PM ET Aug 26, 2007
PrintPrint EmailE-mail Subscribe to RSSSubscribe to RSS DisableDisable Live Quotes

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Yahoo Inc. will introduce new features Monday for its Web-based email program, including software that allows computer users to type text messages on a keyboard and send them directly to a cell phone, according to media reports.
When ever I see stories like this I wonder if it's not an attempt to collect more data on their users and contacts for marketing purposes. You use this feature and suddenly you and your friends are getting text messages for cheap mortgages.

Yes, I know, about the privacy statements but, who reads them? I'd just rather ignore the service or feature.

Guess I'm just getting cranky in my old age.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
When ever I see stories like this I wonder if it's not an attempt to collect more data on their users and contacts for marketing purposes. You use this feature and suddenly you and your friends are getting text messages for cheap mortgages.

Yes, I know, about the privacy statements but, who reads them? I'd just rather ignore the service or feature.

Guess I'm just getting cranky in my old age.
T-Mobile at least has basically ahd this exact same feature for a long time. If your phone number is 123-456-7890, you can get emails as text messages at 1234567890@tmomail.net from any mail service

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Cingular and Verizon have it as well.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Sprint has had it for a while too. Sending a TXT from your e-mail provider is not new.

It has always been: [your-phone-number]@yourprovider.com

You can also send an AIM to any phone # - just send a message to +1[phone number] (the +1 is required).

Testing right now.

Would you happen to know the format for Verizon? Tried a couple of different @xxxxx.coms
I think it is @myvzw.com