Yao Ming officially retires.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Houston Rockets center Yao Ming has decided to retire after nine NBA seasons, Yahoo! Sports and the Houston Chronicle have reported, citing league sources.

Yao's contract had expired after this past season with the Rockets, who have missed the playoffs the last two seasons.

They played nearly all of that time without Yao as he battled various injuries. He was limited to five games last season after missing all of 2009-10.

"We'd all be really happy if Yao comes back to play, and I hope he can," new Rockets coach Kevin McHale said when he was introduced last month. "I think he'll give it his best shot. His body is going to dictate if he can come back and play. That's all going to be laid out in the future.

"But who wouldn't like Yao Ming, a big guy who can really make shots, just a huge force in the middle? That's out of my control. We'll see where that goes."

In May, Yao said his surgically repaired left ankle was healing properly and he wanted to remain with the Rockets.

But Yao, who had surgery in January, said he wouldn't know until this summer if he'd be able to play again. He became a restricted free agent July 1.

Yao averaged 19 points and 9.2 rebounds a game in his seven-plus seasons.

Recently retired center Shaquille O'Neal congratulated Yao in an online video post.

"We're going to miss you, bro," O'Neal said. "You're one of the greatest players ever to come out of China. You're one of the greatest players, period. I'm going to miss you, brother. Enjoy retirement. Let's go on vacation, bro. Me and you."

Link

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I can't believe that on all the Rome/ATH shows they're talking about Hall of Fame.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
The only way Yao is going to the HOF is if he takes a bus there.

And I admit I have no idea where the NBA HOF is located nor do I care to look it up.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Yeah Yao is not a HOF. But he will be remembered more for what he did off the court than on it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Really? I will remember him much more for what he did on the court.
In the grand scheme of things, he will remembered for what he did in being the first Chinese born player drafted in the NBA and the effect it had in opening up China to the leauge. Yao didn't really make much of an impact on the court for him to be remembered as a great player.

Edit: Just found out on PTI, that Yao wasn't the first Chinese born player drafted in the NBA. But he was definitely the most successful.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
In the grand scheme of things, he will remembered for what he did in being the first Chinese born player drafted in the NBA and the effect it had in opening up China to the leauge. Yao didn't really make much of an impact on the court for him to be remembered as a great player.
Just found out Yao was the second. Thanks, PTI!

Wang Zhi Zhi

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Wang

What did that turd Bob Ryan say about him? He thought he'd be great, but he fell victim to _____

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Manute Bol built a Hospital in Africa...I think...
He just stood in the middle of a tent and held it up for a while. I wouldnt consider that building a hospital.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I heard he was only retiring because the lock out prevented him from having contact with the team doctors. So he retires and can work with the team doctors then he can unretire when the NBA resumes play.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I heard he was only retiring because the lock out prevented him from having contact with the team doctors. So he retires and can work with the team doctors then he can unretire when the NBA resumes play.
He has played a handful of games in the last two years, Im not really sure the team doctors can do anything for him.

I really started the thread just to get the "WGAS" Yao meme in the first post. Im a football guy myself.