OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Yet another way to send a big FU to XM...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Archive' started by zagman76, Jun 16, 2007.

1. zagman76

zagman76 Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
    Wackbag Staff

If you live in an area that O&A are on an FM station also, and you happen to get a phone call/pamphlet/e-mail/whatever asking what you listen to on the radio, and how - tell them you listen to O&A on FM!

ONLY if you have a local FM market though!! If your only means of listening is by XM, then say XM.

Don't let the return of O&A to XM make you forget that XM fucked us and the show over by playing a bullshit political move.

2. PDX909

PDX909 Registered User

Sorry Zagman, I said my FU to XM when I pulled 4 subs, now the boys are back I'm already re-subscribing to support them and the platform again. I'm ready to move on from this episdode and let things go for a while. I dont see the point in protracting this anti-xm feeling as I just don't see it as a feeling that many people share now.

3. zagman76

Wackbag Staff

Let me bring This Announcement back, so you can re-read it.

Here is the bottom line:
    XM doesn't have ratings (at least none that mean anything).
    FM does have rating - which mean a TREMENDOUS amount to people in the radio industry.

I'm not saying to "keep your XM cancelled" - by all means, take advantage of the 3-month-free re-sub deal they have now - just DON'T FORGET THAT XM FUCKED US AND THE SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE!!.

If someone comes knocking and asking how you listen to the radio (and what you listen to) - telling them O&A on XM (when they are also on a local FM station) helps NO ONE, since XM's success is measured in the number of subscriptions sold. FM's success is measured in the number of people SAYING THAT THEY LISTEN ON FM!!

If you don't want to think of it as "sending a big FU to XM" - then think of it as "sending a big THANK YOU to FM" :)

4. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

What do you tell them you listen to between 9 and 11?

5. Sct Ptersns Twn

Sct Ptersns Twn Looking 4 a New 1st Mate

*cough cough* download *cough cough*

6. zagman76

Wackbag Staff

but how would telling that to a ratings book surveyor help anyone? :icon_wink

7. Sct Ptersns Twn

Sct Ptersns Twn Looking 4 a New 1st Mate

I am in an obscure market, just thought I was being cute...:action-sm

8. STARTSOMETHING

STARTSOMETHING I wanna b, like ronnie b!

I'm pissed also about not being able to hear them for 30+ days but isn't this beating a dead horse? :deadhorse

they go to Sirius i go to Sirius they go to slacker I go to slacker sure i hate the man when he try's to steal candy from a baby but im happy to get what i can

9. pike

pike You will be molested

I'm really not understanding all this hate.

Following this logic, shouldn't we be sending FU's to CBS? They suspended O&A for TWO YEARS. XM's 30 days pales in comparison, especially when you consider XM is the company that brought O&A back to the airwaves in the first place.

CBS only re-hired O&A because they HAD TO, not because they wanted to. They had to put some real talent in the morning drive slot.

10. 7cent

7cent Registered User

Ths shows better on XM...Commercial radio sucks....I'll fully support XM in the hopes the show returns 100% XM

11. fkornre

fkornre Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...

is this Kevin from Sloatsburg?

12. zagman76

Wackbag Staff

That's not the point - the point is that XM's only measure of success (as far as people listening is concerned) is the number of subscribers. It's not that people shouldn't subscribe, or continue to keep their subscriptions at all...

HOWEVER:
    FM's only measure of success (again, as far as people listening is concerned) is HOW MANY PEOPLE SAY THEY ARE LISTENING ON FM!!!. The more poeple that say they are listening on FM, the more revenue they can bring in, and the LESS likely they are to dump the show due to "poor ratings"

let me quote this again:
    For people who have been listening since Day 1 of XM: Think about how much the show has evolved and grown, due to them coming off of the premium channel. O&A are very much a fan-based show in that we the fans have such a direct connection to them. They read the boards, they hang out in paltalk, they walk with us from one studio to the other. They also sign every item that fans put in their faces, and pose for every picture that is asked to be taken with them. How could they do that without the fans to begin with??

For people listening from the WNEW days: Remember the random calls that used to come in from peopl all over the country who happened to stumble upon the show, and were either disgusted or thrilled? Some classic bits were born from those days.

Let's look at this summer coming up, and last summer: O&A Traveling Virus tour. How could that have been possible without them being on FM stations around the country, and actually having a fan-base in those cities? Big companies that sponsor these events don't really do it as much when there is a limited audience who are paying for the content.

When was the last O&A roadshow? Does anyone remember the roadshows from the WNEW days? I would LOVE to see next summer - double the tour-dates for the Virus show, and also a bunch of Roadshows across the country.

13. patbattlefield

patbattlefield New Wackbag

No FM station where I live. I could say I listen online but I don't think that would count for anything.

14. danny666

danny666 Registered User

Calling is all well and good, but it's all about ratings. Pretty soon Arbitron will go from ratings diaries to PPM(people meters). It's already in Philadelphia, it's coming to New York markets in the fall. And the way they'll be able to tell what you're listening to is the embedded code, that arbitron gives them to broadcast, that will be in each radio station frequency. So O and A fans who have XM in a city where they're also available on FM. Will have to get an FM radio tuned to the O and A station and let their PPM receive all that radio goodness. Listening to them on XM won't help them in the ratings because the channels aren't embedded with the arbitron code, and XM isn't even an Arbitron subscriber anymore.

About being vengeful to XM. While I don't think we should be cheerleaders for XM. I think it's best we subscribe if we like their product. I'm waiting until after June 30th before I consider resubscribing, I want my protest cancellation to count, it doesn't matter if you cancel or not if you resubscribe in the same quarter. I'm not going to be an advocate of XM, but I'm not going to wish them ill will. I may listen to them during baseball season. I'm looking objectively to see if they're a product worth having or not. It used to be that I'd subscribe to them no matter what because they hired O and A, but now they'll have to be a product worth having.(I'm kind of thinking they are obsolete.) I know I can download O and A shows. I have a Sumsung Blackjack through ATT and can listen to a lot of online FM/AM radio stations on my cell phone/bluetooth headphones.

15. Jefflebowski

Jefflebowski Registered User

Yeah special welcome back postcard without any mention of the boys

16. STARTSOMETHING

STARTSOMETHING I wanna b, like ronnie b!

I know how ya feel I'm in Harrisburg and not close enough to pitt or phila

17. Hog of Plenty

Hog of Plenty Registered User

Enough all-goddam-ready! It's over. We made our point. We are an important part of the XM community and we can have an impact on them. We got our show back, and I'm pretty sure they'll think twice before doing somethjing like that again. I personally think they would have liked to have brought them back on sooner, but they were too worried about looking weak and giving in to us. They did give us the replays for a week, and that was something they didn't have to.
    Let's just move forward and stop spending our energy on the idiocy.

18. 90PoundLeadHat

90PoundLeadHat Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrunkis!!!

Not that I think it really needs to be said, but just in case...WATCH YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENTS VIGILANTLY!!

When I resubscribed to XM on Friday, I got the 3 months for $4.99 with the activation fee waived. When I pulled up my credit card account this morning...sure as shit, they charged me the activation fee anyway.

Just got off the phone with them and am having it refunded to my card. I have no doubt that they are going to be pulling this with everyone. Pay attention, people.

19. zagman76

Wackbag Staff

Do you not see the bigger picture though?

20. krispykreme

krispykreme Registered User

Bottom line, O&A's success is measured by terrestrial arbitron ratings. Support them if surveyed. XM does not matter. They are measured on XM by number of subscribers and those numbers do not reflect anything about O&A. If they are on a local FM in your market, that is where you listen. Give O&A the credit they deserve.

As for sending the big F.U. to XM? Don't resubscribe until they apologize to us publicly.

21. acydskull

acydskull New Wackbag

??? I called to resub and the dot-headed cretin that answered the phone told me no free 90 days, no 90 days for $4.99... you get NOTHING!!! (At least I didn't)

These pissshitcocksuckersmotherfuckerscuntfucks sent me an e-mail offering to "waive" the $14.99 to resubscribe, SAY WHAT? They should be licking my balls to resubscribe... You'd think they have to send some idiot into the bowels of the XM basement while clubbing rats and swatting away roaches to reconfigure satelite coordintes and to reposition the flux capacitor and induce a single singularity around the ionospheric coil.

BULLSHIT, as much as I like O&A and have become a fan, XM has fucked enough with me, as far as I am concerned they can choke on it... Grease up XM, that's one big boom box to have firmly lodged in your rectum.

22. 6DollarDrunk

6DollarDrunk Put baby in container with snake

I got a feeling he wouldn't get the picture if you nailed it to his forehead.

23. sknight

sknight Banned

Call the EXECUTIVE ESCALATIONS DEPARTMENT (a recent thread I put up here). It's a corporate number and they take care of the accounts and disputes.

24. USCowboy69

USCowboy69 Excuse me Sir could you please pick up my piggies?

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with this because of my schedule and the market I am in. The only way I can truly listen to the show is via XM. I have nasty commute both ways and the boys make it bearable. I know XM screwed us and I wrote everyone, donated $ to the truck billboards, cancelled my subscription, wrote my XM story for a Washington Post writer. But now that they are back on XM, I feel the need to support O&A there. It's a personal decision everyone must make on their own, according to their conscience.

I think the Friday show summed it up for me when O&A said they felt our aggressive campaign is what save the show from being outright cancelled.

25. pedror

pedror I'm Pedro's wife Letty and YES I have a vagina ;)