Yet Another Western Digital Hard Drive Died in less than 2 years

stellarcomics

8tb Elements drive died after 6 months. Applied for an RMA from WD. I'm not expecting the replacement to last either. Bought a WD 6tb drive 1 1/2 years ago that died too. WD is turning into Seagate. Gonna buy Lacie drives from now on. Sigh.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
8tb Elements drive died after 6 months. Applied for an RMA from WD. I'm not expecting the replacement to last either. Bought a WD 6tb drive 1 1/2 years ago that died too. WD is turning into Seagate. Gonna buy Lacie drives from now on. Sigh.
That's not good.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I think those shitty cases WD uses for their external drives are the reason for the failures. IMO, they run hot. Long before I got my NAS, I bought an aluminum USB case with a fan. I ran a WD 2TB green drive in it. Drive still works, I just retired it in favor of a newer drive because the thing was 10 years old.

I got a bunch of WD 2TB MyBook drives off the clearance table at BB for $20/each. I cracked them all open and repurposed the drives. One went into my aluminum USB case, the others are inside PCs. All are still operational, but it's only been a year.

Bobobie

Is it part of redundant storage setup?

stellarcomics

I bought an 8tb Toshiba NAS drive for $200 to replace it. Still waiting on my RMA replacement from western digital.

stellarcomics

Finally got my replacement from WD today and immediately put it on ebay. Sold for $150. Minus shipping and ebay fee, I'll get my $130 back. :)

Bobobie

Bobobie

Looks like a scam dude.
You are right. The site is too new for any ratings, positive or negative. There is forum talking about the site, some retarded autism types have pointed out a dozen or more telltale signs that it is a scam site. I called my credit card company to get the transaction cancelled because the transaction was still pending on my account, was put on hold and literally watched it post after refreshing the screen. There was foreign transaction fee of 49 cents for a company that is supposed to be in Texas. Visa calmly told me it wasn't too late and they could still dispute it. Even if it doesn't reflect it on my bill just delete that amount from it at the end of the month.

$15 for a 500gb SSD, of course it was a scam. I'm turning into my grandpa. The next thing you know I'll be telling people I won the publisher Clearing House.

Last edited:

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
You are right. The site is too new for any ratings, positive or negative. There is forum talking about the site, some retarded autism types have pointed out a dozen or more telltale signs that it is a scam site. I called my credit card company to get the transaction cancelled because the transaction was still pending on my account, was put on hold and literally watched it post after refreshing the screen. There was foreign transaction fee of 49 cents for a company that is supposed to be in Texas. Visa calmly told me it wasn't too late and they could still dispute it. Even if it doesn't reflect it on my bill just delete that amount from it at the end of the month.

$15 for a 500gb SSD, of course it was a scam. I'm turning into my grandpa. The next thing you know I'll be telling people I won the publisher Clearing House.
I found the same deal, but it required my SSN as a coupon code. Weird, but I think it's legit.

Bobobie

I found the same deal, but it required my SSN as a coupon code. Weird, but I think it's legit.
It did show up (still does) on top page of my google search for SSD next to legit E-Commerce sites like Amazon, New Egg, and Best Buy. I just did a search for SSD and the advertisement is still there.