You can't Rip Off Ratings... George Lopez Show Cancelled

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
The George Lopez show is dead in the water. It will air out the rest of the week and then is done. It's ratings suck so bad that TBS pulled the plug.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/10/lopez-tonight-cancelled/
TBS cancels 'Lopez Tonight'
by James Hibberd
Categories: Cable, Late Night, TV Biz

Comments 132
Add comment

George-Lopez

Image Credit: Getty Images

The party’s over for George Lopez. TBS has decided to cancel late-night talk show Lopez Tonight.

The network issued a statement about the two-year show coming to an end:

“TBS has reached the difficult decision not to order a third season of Lopez Tonight. Thursday will be the final episode of the show. We are proud to have partnered with George Lopez, who is an immensely talented comedian and entertainer. TBS has valued its partnership with George and appreciates all of his work on behalf of the network, both on and off the air.”

The ratings explain TBS’ decision pretty clearly:

The first season of Lopez Tonight averaged 911,000 viewers at 11 p.m., 2010-11 season dropped to 543,000 at midnight. Conan has averaged 1 million viewers in the 11 p.m. slot since joining the schedule.

TBS broke into late night by launching the Lopez show in 2009, then snatched up Conan O’Brien after his fall out with NBC last year. Lopez said he wanted his show to break from the usual late-night tradition and have more of a block party atmosphere. Conan will continue on the network as part of O’Brien’s multi-year deal with TBS. The move comes on the heels of TBS renewing Franklin & Bash and cancelling Men of a Certain Age.

Bad news is CONAN is doing just as terrible...with less than 800,000 viewers a night

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
So if Conan had just moved back to 12am at NBC George Lopez would still have a job? And Jay Leno is the bad guy? Interesting.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
All of the big late night talk shows are walking dinosaurs. The only reason they are even around is for nostalgias sake. The format is lame, the jokes arent funny, and with things like twitter and tmz out there does anyone really need to hear MORE from celebrities? Networks would be better off airing sitcom reruns in those time slots.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Carlos Mencia was the rip off artist. Though I guess they're both the same to you.

I still like Conan, but I rarely care enough to watch it live.

So if Conan had just moved back to 12am at NBC George Lopez would still have a job? And Jay Leno is the bad guy? Interesting.
Conan shouldn't have moved to 12 am. He still wouldn't have gotten the ratings, and it would make him look weak. I blame NBC for orchestrating the retarded 10 pm Leno deal in the first place.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Carlos Mencia was the rip off artist. Though I guess they're both the same to you.
Not only are they not the same person, he also complained about Mencia ripping off his Beaner jokes and even went as far as punching him.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Ay Dios Mio!

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
Sep 3, 2004
Smithtown, NY
i know it is the same company but wasn't men of a certain age and frankling and bash on tnt?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
FUCK! Beat me to it. Yeah, this.

Conan shouldn't have moved to 12 am. He still wouldn't have gotten the ratings, and it would make him look weak. I blame NBC for orchestrating the retarded 10 pm Leno deal in the first place.
This too.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Havent watched GLo since he changed time slots for Conan. Bad move since his show wasnt that bad.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys

I still like Conan, but I rarely care enough to watch it live.

what he said

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Lopez Tonight cancelled

I'm honestly surprised that it lasted two seasons!

George Lopez' TBS TV show has been cancelled, but there's an even bigger story here -- that Conan O'Brien is failing at the network.

TBS just announced the last show will air tomorrow night.* It's been on the air for 2 seasons.

Now the bigger story.* It looks like Conan did to George what Jay Leno did to Conan.* You'll recall, when Jay Leno came back to NBC, his 10 PM show tanked and killed Conan's ratings.*

Well Lopez had the 11 PM time slot for its first season, but then when Conan came to TBS a year ago he took over the 11 PM slot and Lopez moved to midnight -- meaning George was relying on Conan to deliver a good lead-in.

But when the change was made, George's audience plummeted 40%.

On Monday, Conan pulled in an anemic 0.5 rating in the key demographic (18 - 49) with 715,000 viewers -- and that's a pretty typical day.* George's ratings hovered around 0.2, with 400,000 viewers.*

Short story -- Nobody's watching.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/10/georg...-ratings-cable-audience-viewers/#.TkM3NKN5mSM

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
They are on TBS. That's problem number 1.

I'm curious how many viewers are watching online. I know I've never watched this new incarnation of Conan on tv. I only watch it streaming on the internet.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Never watched either Conan or Lopez. I really hate fucking late night talk shows. I never watched SNL or Leno or Letterman. Closest I ever got was when I used to watch Howards channel 9 show and E Show. I used to really like Morton Downey Jr.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I actually watched this the night Aaron Paul was on from Breaking Bad. I'd never seen a more unnaturally forced, phony feeling talkshow host in my life.